I've bought a new desktop computer dedicated to FSX.  It has the following hardware:

- CPU: Intel 4770K

- CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i with 2 Noctua case fans replacing the stock, loud, Corsair fans

- Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X OC

- Memory: Corsair 16 GB, C9

- Storage 1: Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB (Win 7/64 OS)

- Storage 2: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB (FSX plus add-ons)

- Power Supply: Corsair AX 860i

- GPU: none yet (read on)

My cockpit has six Asus 24" monitors in a 180 degree arc for the outside view and, so far, one 19" Asus monitor for the instrument panel.  Most controls are handled by Saitek accessories to minimize using mouse/keyboard.

Here's my question: Which is better? 

1. One GPU (thinking Nvidia GeForce GTX 770, 2 or 4 GB) with two Matrox TripleHead2Gos

a. Pro

i.  Fewer undocked "windows" (outside view would be two windows with TH2Go stretching scene over the six monitors

ii.  Some folks contend that the TH2Go is easier on the GPU and better on framerates

b. Con

i.  TH2Go is expensive, cheaper to simply buy two GPUs

ii.  Matrox website indicates the need to have monitors that support 50 Hz; my Asus monitors apparently (according the Asus webiste) do not support 50 Hz.  (I don't want to spend several hundred dollars to find out this configuration is not viable.)

2. Two GPUs (thinking Nvidia GeForce GTX 770, 2 or 4 GB)

a. Pro

i.  Cheaper.  Two GPUs would yield eight DVI/HDMI/DP ports that would handle all of the monitor inputs

b. Con

ii.  More (seven compared to three) different undocked windows.  While my computer is pretty strong, by today's standards, will it be enough to deal effectively with all of those windows?

Thanks much.

Scott

Hi Scott,

I went with adding a new video board over TH2Go for one simple fact, TH2Go is unable to match the resolution I am able to achieve with my video board.

My digital TH2Go can run at 5760x1080 @50hz..... Whereas my video board can run 5760x1200 @60Hz.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Thanks, Mike.

How many windows/monitors are you running with your multiple GPUs?

Scott

Hi,

I have 3 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors hooked up and run at 5760x1200x32.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

My cockpit has six Asus 24" monitors in a 180 degree arc for the outside view and, so far, one 19" Asus monitor for the instrument panel. Most controls are handled by Saitek accessories to minimize using mouse/keyboard.

Sorry to cast doubts on your plans Scott but I would say you have close to zero chance of getting playable frame rates trying to run seven monitors, unless you are going to disable the VC completely in all the planes you fly. Even then I would be wanting a near 5GHz cpu and a couple of 780Tis.

Would love to be proved wrong though.

Anyway...... you would be better off with only five monitors for the 180 degree arc.

That's less to drive and you don't have two monitors joining right on your visual centre line.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

GB,

I don't plan to use VC on the planes I fly.  I'm outfitting my cockpit with physical controllers so that I don't have to use the mouse/keyboard to click on controls.

That takes me to my original question.  If I use two TH2Gos, then I'll have cut the number of "monitors" from 7 to 3 (if you consider each TH2Go as a single large, stretched monitor).  If I don't use TH2Gos, then I need two GPUs, each with 4 outputs, to drive all seven monitors.

Regarding two monitors splitting the visual center line... yes, that's a concern of mine.  I won't really know how much I care for that until I get everything up an running. 

Another thing I'm somewhat concerned about is that my cockpit is a two-seater, so while I'm sitting in the left seat, the right-side window monitors seem a long way away.  Again, I suspect I'll simply have to wait to see how it all looks once up and running.  If I decide to go to five monitors for the outside view, I may use the extra sixth monitor for things like spot views, GPS, ATC, etc.

One last thing, I do plan to overclock my I7 4770K to about 4.5 GHz, so that should help some.

Thanks again.

Scott

If I use two TH2Gos, then I'll have cut the number of "monitors" from 7 to 3 (if you consider each TH2Go as a single large, stretched monitor).

The big problem with using three monitors as one as in TH2Go or Surround is the left/right edge

distortion you will get. Most people can put up with it because in a single group of three the distortion

is out near your peripheral vision and it is easier to ignore.

You are going to put the edge distortion of your two groups right in the middle of your view.

Not only will the textures look ugly your perception of depth and distance will be way out compared to the centre view of each group.

The other problem with the TH2Go is that if you enable bevel correction you will get those black bars out near the edge of each group. Again you will be placing these black bars right in the centre of your setup.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Understand. I wasn't aware of the edge distortion issue with TH2Go. That leaves me with the multiple GPUs, with each GPU output supporting a different windowed view. Has anyone done this with success?

Understand. I wasn't aware of the edge distortion issue with TH2Go. That leaves me with the multiple GPUs, with each GPU output supporting a different windowed view. Has anyone done this with success?

Scott I run four 24"s.

At the moment I have them set to show four independent VC views.

With FSX DX10 in fair weather at smaller airports frame rates are in the high 20's.

Bigger airports and more cloud, not so good.

If you already have all those monitors my advice would be to get

the best video card you can afford and just see how far you can go before frame rates crash.

gb.

GB,

Thanks. I listed my hardware in my initial post, so I'll see how it goes. Could be that I find unacceptable frame rates with a single computer no matter its specs, given the number of monitors. If so, then it would appear that the answer will be FSX client computers networked to a main FSX server, via WidevieW, with each client responsible for its own small piece of the action. Between this post and what I'm learning elsewhere, I seem to be reaching the conclusion that using multiple TH2Gos is not the way to go.

Thanks again.