Sign in to follow this  
apollomaker

Questions For Early Phenom Pilots

I just want to say a big thank you to all the members who've bought and posted their experiences with this bird. Its helped me decide that waiting on some other products that are on the way is a better option even though I would dearly love a good looking (and working) Phenom.

Ryan:

p. 235 of the Prodigy Flight Deck Pilot's Guide (from Garmin) states, to create a flight plan:

1. Press the FPL key

2. Press the FMS knob to actuate the cursor (only on MFD)

3. Turn the small FMS knob to display the Waypoint Information Window

4. Enter the identifier, facility, or city name of the departure waypoint, etc.

5. Repeat 3-4 to enter each additional flight plan waypoint.

6. When all waypoints have been entered, press the FMS Knob to remove the cursor.

The only step you have to add in the Carenado Prodigy is to hit the FPL key to close the flight plan window.

You can enter any flight plan you want, with multiple waypoints, this way.

What isn't present is the ability to save/store flight plans and call them up from an onboard database; but that's quite minor; I'd just load that via FSX at start.

Read through the actual manual for the instrumentation, there's quite a lot of it modeled on Carenado's implementation.

Steve

Hi guys,

I made a short hope from EIDW to EGGD in the Phenom 100. Frame Rate Wise I was quite happy as it was similar as the TBM I have ( I fly the FSX on a high end gaming Laptop by the way)

I forgot to push the "ready to taxi" button before I took/taxi off so I had several warnings in the PFD (Bleed Air etc) and you need a lot of thrust/power to start taxi....i dont know if this is like in the real one? But nevertheless I could lift of without any issues and climb to FL 250 for cruising. I prepared the FP before in the Flight Sim Commander and saved it as a standard FSX FP pln file.

The AP followed the routing without any issues.

I found out that if you hit for example the NAV and FD button on the AP selection no sign pops up above these buttons ( I hope you understand what I mean)

You need to look in the main PFD Display and there you see the letters like "Roll" or "YD" etc

I dont know if this is correct like in the real aircraft. In the F1 Mustand you see a white light above the FD or NAV when you click them in the AP unit.

On the Approach & on Final  it looks like that the Phenom is real fast even if you have the flaps fully down and she reacts very nervous in my opinion in the last 10 miles. But this is just a personal feeling I have.

All in all I'm happy with the Phenom after the first flight....still to find out the perfect mix to fly the bird and I guess Carenado will give us one or two SP's anyway to fix sime issues I didnt realize today ;-)

Cheers,

Mark

Okay, as to FADEC, and ATR.

Here's what online info says about that for the Phenom 100:

http://phenom.aero/resources/library/Phenom300_QuestionBank.pdf

And here's what I see on my screen in the Carenado Phenom 100 cockpit MFD:

3h7RZ.jpg

Note the Takeoff Data Set on the lower left of the MFD. You can adjust OAT + or -, and can adjust CON or CLB:

4tOl1.jpg

Here, I have set ATR on, to Climb, and in light blue on the UPPER left, you'll see that info in the MFD.

Now, you can continue to grumble about what is or isn't there, but as far as I'm concerned..... FADEC is represented in the Phenom.

And a couple of members on this thread aren't paying close attention to what's actually there, unfortunately.

Now, you can continue to grumble about what is or isn't there, but as far as I'm concerned..... FADEC is represented in the Phenom.

But do the throttles detent, as they should on the real FADEC as in the F1 Mustang or others.. Not just advise.

But do the throttles detent, as they should on the real FADEC as in the F1 Mustang or others.. Not just advise.

See my previous post.  The real world plane does not have detents like the Mustang does (other than to get to the emergency power setting), so the model should not have them.   In the real world plane, the various power settings locations are simply marked.  You place the power levers to these spots for the appropriate power settings.

Scott

Sorry I didn't mean physical detents.... I meant all I see is CRZ no other modes. As there seems to be no familiarization manual I can't figure out to set this up.

In the F1 mustang the power levers just work - TO/CLB/CRZ etc....

As far as automation... Why not? I'm a single pilot with a heck of a lot less tactile feedback hardware than real pilots (I'm using clickspots)!! I've got lower fps than real pilots too! Have you ever tried flying online on Pilot Edge on a busy TEC route? Without proper hardware flying can be really tough between transmissions. Tiny clickspots are a PITA - I do like Carenado's highlighted knobs on this model - very helpful.

Also I'm no idiot when it comes to G1000 operation so I'm surprised I can't get a FP in - it may be a clickspot issue. I've only had about 20 mi in the plane so I'll be back to check this stuff soon.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Are you in P3D or FSX? These click spot gremlins have been popping up and torturing devs for a little while now, cf. poor A2A with that nightmare (for some; never saw the issue myself) for the C172. And some issues with certain graphics settings and some instruments in P3D (if memory serves). And and and..... definitely if you can't figure out how to get a FPL into the middle MFD, investigate here and report to Carenado. I'm not making it up when I say I don't see this issue. :). OTOH I have found, on my system, with certain settings of the mouse, or even certain zooms, and angles, the highlighted twirly knobs go funky. Fortunately even in the VC (without popping up the gauge window) there are -/+ click spots, once you can isolate exactly where they are.

And ditto, I'm not hallucinating, I hope, when I say I see the TO/GA, CLB and CRZ markings on the throttles (or next to them, whatever is right), and when I set the throttles to these markings, the engines perform as expected acc. to the manual and for this non-real-world pilot. There are no latches, though, as there are with the 737/777. Sounds like that is accurate to the real aircraft (it's also, for me, micron angels dancing naked on the head of a pin produced with an electron microscope, but I'm not as particular as some, I readily admit. I even like Domino's Pizza, yum! ).

All just procedure. ;)

Update: I've taken to compulsively reviewing my dll.xml and fsx.cfg after any new install, and noticed two empty lines introduced into dll.xml after installing the Phenom.  One right after the header line, one in between the Phenom's weather.dll and the </LaunchAddon>CRLF above it.

If you are having issues, try going into dll.xml with NotePad++ [turn on the View All Symbols option!], making sure it's an XML file, and delete these empty lines and save as XML, DOS/Windows-1252, see if that fixes anything for you, just a shot in the dark, trying to help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not too dissapointed.... I set my expectations low lol....  I'm always looking for a cool bizjet.

Another thing I found is the speed tape vmo/mmo value won't change with altitude......

But RXP would well as a popup and I can see my leg info on the PFD and MFD so I'm generally happy.

No offense to anyone here but some people expect Carenado to have some amazing G1000 with navigraph support.  Pigs will fly before that happens.

Sounds are good, VC and interior is nice as usual... exterior pretty good but unless I'm zoomed way in I tend to get jaggies on the model - doesn't happen with their other ones for some reason.

p.s.  Has anyone found the pitot heat switch?  I can't seem to find it it's probably right under my nose!

Hey watch it buster.  I resemble that remark. :P  Hang in there and don't let the naysayers get to you.

What is the 'special input keyboard' feature that is mentioned on the website?  Is it something like the F1 Android app? 

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Okay, some more info, in the form of screenshots.

Looks like the Phenom has an FLC to me.  There's a button, labelled, "FLC." You press it, select desired speed, and voila, the AP holds the plane at that speed.  There are all the other G1000 AP function buttons that work on that same interface, as well.  Here, take a look.  I've got the engines ATR-adjusted for -11Celsius takeoff, the FLC is clearly actively controlling the engines to hold 185 knots (dialed in), the Cabin Pressure is dynamically adjusting to maintain the desired altitude pressure, at the rate of increase/decrease you have set it for.... I dunno, I'm not an Embraer Pilot and Prodigy user in the real world, but it looks pretty comprehensive to me!

You be the judge: it's all here below, in living color:

g9Q0X.jpg

39VkY.jpg

4T31b.jpg

pmgO0.jpg

EUbFZ.jpg

2BG.jpg

mPJZV.jpg

pPJk.jpg

GDkZC.jpg

IBYJ.jpg

Steve

We must have different installs or something... Because my FLC was not working.... I set 200 kts and the attitude remained constant as my speed bled off. Is there some other mode I need to have on? In my experience all you need is AP HDG/NAV and FLC and have an altitude selected (along with a reasonable speed)... Is this not your experience?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Looks like the Phenom has an FLC to me.

Hi Steve - well after so much data and info flying around (pun) about this new plane, I could not stand it any longer and picked it up.

I have only been with it for about 2 hours so my observations are limited at the moment. BUT, much to my surprise, I would agree with you that things that were thought to not be there, are there and functioning pretty well with some minor differences compared to other G1000 systems.

My first flight was designed to test the autopilot functions including FLC and other basic functions. Yes, I agree with you. FLC is there and functioning and I am assuming the Prodigy system has some enhancements over the standard G1000 (possibly) that have been nicely modeled here. I did a high level flight (FL410) and experimented with the FLC, VS, and other functions on the climb out. All went pretty well as I wanted to see how the FLC would behave. Noticed some minor things in the MFD so far, but it is minor stuff easily fixed.

Anyway, just some initial positive comments to try and set the record straight about what is here, and not. Looking good so far. More to follow :-)

I see lots of posts about the G1000 but nothing so far about the FDE. How does it fly by hand? Is it good or is it off like the TBM?

I have to imagine there'll be issues, beyond my level of expertise, worth analysis, for sure.  There might be improvements to the FDE that can be defined.

Just trying to provide useful info; Carenado has created the perception over time that they do the same thing over and over again, and don't communicate a lot here about what they're up to (they are in Chile? Brazil? If I'm correct?), so it's easy to slip into missing what might actually be going on.  I'm glad they're taking these small steps; I was hesitant to pick this up at first because of the potential for disappointment, but have been pleasantly surprised, instead.

Ryan, seriously, I wish I knew!  It does sound like you have some sort of install issue, or did you get an earlier version?  Maybe try re-downloading it from your account? I purchased direct from Carenado, did you purchase from elsewhere? If so, maybe they need to update the download available?

More things to come for sure. For example, this plane starts out at about 22-25 FPS on my system with all values max'd out.

Then it lasts about a minute or so, then falls to around 6-7 FPS (external view). I can find nothing causing this. Other planes (none) do this and give me better FPS external view by at least 50-100%. What next?? Any clues??

Thanks!!!