Sign in to follow this  
apollomaker

Questions For Early Phenom Pilots

Found another strange issue. When turning off the autopilot on final, she banks hard to starboard. It also takes a helluva lot of upward trim after turning of the AP to keep it level. Sure makes approaches interesting. It almost "feels" like the opposite of the TBM where the sensitivity to trim is very low vs overly sensitive in the TBM.

Still needs work but still, not too bad...

It almost "feels" like the opposite of the TBM where the sensitivity to trim is very low...

Trim is very ineffective and there are serious FDE issues. You did find a couple. The FDE needs major attention.

The flight model does not respond to adjustment like "traditional" FSX planes.

In relation to the FDE, are there any Phenom pilots around that could comment?

In relation to trim, i've not experienced any issues with trimming upon AP disconnect.  Yes, it needs to be done, however I've had great response during trim.

Hirdy

I haven't seen any issues, either. Nothing wrong with the FDE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I gave in and bought it, knowing I was taking a huge risk. And now I wish I had waited.

The good:

1) It looks nice.

The bad:

Basic G1000, as we all expected. I plugged in the Mindstar GNS 530 and it integrates fine. Adequate solution.  I haven't tried the MS G1000, yet but MS has not created a Prodigy suite, which is in the Phenom. Also, if past products are any indicator, G1000 replacement will be a no-go. Let's just say Carenado is known for not being friendly with other developers. To their own detriment.

The ugly:

1) T/O configuration button is missing. How in the world do you miss this when you work on something for 6 months and claim actual Phenom pilots tested this? Just shows Carenado is more interested in the number of aircraft they release each year than quality.

2) Flight dynamics are just not right, IMHO. I flew the F1 Mustang a few times and that airplane is sweet to fly. This thing flies like a fighter jet. The controls are way too sensitive. Now, I don't fly a Phenom (never have) and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so my only comparison is the F1 Mustang.

3) FLC does not work.  I pushed it, dialed in my speed. I tried to adjust my throttle setting during a climb to increase my vertical speed and my throttles did not work! However, when I adjusted the IAS I noticed my nose didn't pitch up or down to maintain airspeed, which is what should happen with FLC in the G1000. What I did notice is that my N1 changed! When I increased my IAS setting, N1 increased, when I reduced my IAS setting, N1 decreased.  My response: #####!? This thing has an autothrottle! Now, I know for a fact that no Phenom pilot tested this aircraft. Sorry, Carenado, but that claim on your product page is BS. You guys probably had a Phenom pilot look at your screenshots and confirm that it looks like a Phenom.  FAIL.

4) FADEC does not work, I'm in the Red during start and takeoff.

So, my advice is either wait until you can purchase this from JustFlight so you can return it within 30 days, or just stay away.  Or you can buy my license at a reduced rate. <_<

Todd

The funny thing about the Phenom is that I was expecting it to be significantly worse than it is based on my experience with the TBM but its really not a bad little plane. It does need some work but nowhere near as much as the TBM needed when it was released.

Sorry to keep harping on the TBM but I really wanted that plane to be good and it was a huge disappointment for me and a number of other people I know who were looking forward to it.

For the sake of a comparison, I just did a short flight in the F1 Mustang. Ignoring the G1000 for now, all I can say is wow, so much better to hand fly than the Phenom in how it responds to the yoke and to throttle and trim. Carenado has some work to do on the FDE. I really hope they fix it. 

I would like to get an opinion from a phenom pilot in relation to the FDE.

Seeing that Carenado claim to have had one test this, would be great to get some feedback.

Hirdy

I would like to get an opinion from a phenom pilot in relation to the FDE.

Seeing that Carenado claim to have had one test this, would be great to get some feedback.

Where did Carenado claim that a Phenom pilot tested it?

Barry Friedman

Well technically they said tested by real pilots... Different than tested by an actual E50P pilot.

On their for sale page.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I think they just copy/paste that marketing line for all their planes.  The founders are real pilots, and I suspect they've tested 'em. :)

Until I see a signature accompanying an FSX add-on from a certified trainer indicating that using this add-on will guarantee you qualification on the actual aircraft, I'll take any and all such statements with a huge bag of salt.

Exception being A2A, as with the C172, and no doubt the Piper upcoming, they really have extensively tested the damned things down to the level of where the hinges on the window sills corrode and what kind of sound that makes when you open it. :blink:

Bought it last evening :) flew it for three hours non stop :) very impressed with the fact that everything works using saitek instruments and saitek panels in default using spad driver, no messing around with fsuspc at all. After reading through this thread I noticed many mentions that they have problems with IAS/Auto throttle maybe I'm missing what their problem is with it but I had no issues using it. It is a little bit heavy on frames but not as bad as PMDG 737 NX. After three hours flying the only problem I had was with ILS landing, every time I missed the glide slope, I tried at least ten times, it finds the approach ok but flies past the glide slope every time, I'm pretty used to landing on Auto pilot using ILS and know I am doing everything correctly, maybe I've found a glitch with the program,

Anyone else think this thing is under powered? I was running 70% just to get a decent taxi speed out of it. It flies fine but lacks ground performance.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Anyone else think this thing is under powered? I was running 70% just to get a decent taxi speed out of it. It flies fine but lacks ground performance.

I found it exactly as you describe, but I don't know how a real aircraft responds so I can't remark on it.

After reading through this thread I noticed many mentions that they have problems with IAS/Auto throttle maybe I'm missing what their problem is with it but I had no issues using it

The problem some of us have with the Auto throttle is because the real Phenom does not have one.

Just a question of realism vs a pretty set of flying textures based on the default aircraft.

Some are happy with that and good luck to them, each to their own.