Sign in to follow this  
SirStiggie

TV Station investigates in-home flight simulators

We (you) are all potential terrorists here. Always remember that.

Next time I fly to the US I'd like them to hold me a couple more minutes than average on customs, or even better, they should accompany me to a separate room for further interrogation. That's how I would believe the system is working and fly knowing they're doing their job properly.

What's the problem? I've got nothing to hide at all. I know I'm not a terrorist, but any of you might be...

PS: Dislikes from people who don't get sarcasm in 3, 2, 1...

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

I have to say I like how they said that you could learn to fly the plane on a a simulator yet also said they could see no reason why the pilot had a simulator - they answered their own question.  They also didn't mention what I've seen discussed on a few NGX threads - generally people say not even PMDG can prepare you for hand flying, which I've heard is what happened in 9/11.

Just my somewhat overly-defensive  instant-reaction thoughts. 

I certainly hope that nobody believes they can fly much of anything because of FS training. That's why there is ground school and flying lessons. Two very different events.

I certainly hope that nobody believes they can fly much of anything because of FS training. That's why there is ground school and flying lessons. Two very different events.

Very different sometimes flying the rear thing is easier haha with a real plane you can feel what the plane is doing in the controls but in the sim its completely numb. Which to me makes it harder but for someone who has never felt that feeling I would think it would catch them very off guard if they had only flown sims because as a pilot your trained to know what those feelings mean and how to react to them from the start but a simmer has never felt those and wouldn't know what they meant or how to react.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Hmm. I fly NGX and also am nearly through my type rating on the NG. The PDMG sim is great for systems and operating the aircraft, but it was no help at all on my circuit session!! ( mind you if I had bought my yolk out to Turkey it might have been more useful...)

The sounds, feel and ambience is just nothing like a real aircraft.

For learning how to programme FMC and do setup and learning procedures it's a useful tool, but I was unable to get the options to downgrade the sim to match the real aircraft we have here......Using real charts and stuff also highlights the FSX problems of just being laid out with 8 year old stuff. Loads of runways have changed now..

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

At the end of the day Flight Sim is a thoroughly enjoyable complex game.  Whenever anybody asks me if I could land a jet after all the years (and money)  I have spent on FSX I reply with a definite "No". I fly in GA planes in the real world as a trainee and a passenger and (to me at least) doing it for real adds a sense of mortality to the situation which is very sobering. Now if I had to save my life I'm sure I'd do my level best but I'm still not certain it would be enough. 

The world would be a lot less scary place if journalists and people simply performed an easy mathematical equation before deciding whether something is really a risk for whatever they are being told to be scared about. Take the number of confirmed terrorists who used FSX or PMDG to train for their attacks, divide by the total number of flightsim and PMDG users. You will probably find that that the percentage you get from that equation is either 0, or 0.000000000000000000001, which is 0 for all intents and purposes. Risk association would then be nothing. But this won't sell newspapers. And we can't have that.

I remember my first RL flight was in a 68 Piper Cherokee and after 2+ years of simming, once I got airborne it was a letdown on how easy it was compared to the sim. The only downside was the heat and noise. My instructor wouldn't allow me to land, but I still believe I could have handled it.

I remember my first RL flight was in a 68 Piper Cherokee and after 2+ years of simming, once I got airborne it was a letdown on how easy it was compared to the sim. The only downside was the heat and noise. My instructor wouldn't allow me to land, but I still believe I could have handled it.

Well it took me about 20 attempts to flare correctly in the C172 after years of flying it in the Sim and that was on a 7,000 foot runway. I got there in the end though and was a thoroughly proud moment. 

Slow Learner  :rolleyes:

I think most people in that situation believe they could have handled it...

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

I think most people in that situation believe they could have handled it...

Absolutely. I'm just waiting for the day when the flight attendant announces both pilots have succumbed to food poisoning, and is there anyone onboard who owns FSX or P3D. I'll stand up, reassure my frightened fellow passengers with a winning smile, and resolutely make my way forward.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

The thing that annoys me, is they keep using that video of Zaharie with his FS system in the background, to bolster their position, but never mention the video had nothing to do about flight sims.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

The thing that annoys me, is they keep using that video of Zaharie with his FS system in the background, to bolster their position, but never mention the video had nothing to do about flight sims.

The human mind unfortunately is easily tricked. Without the plane, we won't know exactly who took that plane to where it ended up, and as far as I know, that plane hasn't been found yet. Speculation, fun as it may be, is not proof. In the absence of proof, anyone who is swayed to be distrustful of flight simulators as a tool to aid terrorists, or of flight simmers as all lurking terrorists, on the basis of the fact that the captain (when did we give up on the principle of innocent until proven guilty?) had a flight simulator can't stake a claim towards having a reasonable position. And whichever journalist propagates this scaremongering is unworthy of his/her profession. Still, the truth very often gets in the way of what we want to achieve.

Facts of the matter doesn't matter. Media hype like this is rarely good for the hobby. Flying has a danger element in peoples minds and airlines and aircraft manufacturers will often resort to symbolic actions to show that they take security seriously. I'd be very surprised if we will ever see another authorised sim addon from Boeing after this.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!