Sign in to follow this  
EGLL77W

Bit of WX ahead on downwind in Amsterdam...

Was just testing my new install of Windows 7 today. During a test flight I snapped this. Funny, the TAF said to expect showers soon  :P

13616591413_fec97ccc6c_o.png

Nice! Only that straight border of the green clutter is not too realistic...

James Goggi

Really?  Ever hear of a frontal weather system?

Kyle Rodgers

Yes, but this looks a bit too frontal, as if it had been cut with a knife  :lol:

James Goggi

Off course possible, but I guess one of the reasons why it looks not too realistic is that it's exactly at 360 degrees. Looks like the ground texture blocks that load like this as well.

Mate is there any chance you could explain the datalink feature too? There was mention of it in the sticky but nothing else.

My assumption is it grabs winds aloft data or something like that?

It looks like the datalink could be used to simulate retrieving a flight plan from company ops, or dispatch, just like IRL.  Maybe it reads the flightplan from sources like FSBuild or PFPX?

We already have the ability to retrieve winds aloft in the legs page in a realistic fashion, presumably using the same technology as datalink, except that was just one component of the datalink capability.  Does this sound right?

I wonder if one of the new features is the ability to request departure/destination METAR through the COMM pages 

Rob said he was going to put together a post about it all soon - so we'll leave it for him to announce like he did with the weather radar.

Do you have some more pics, or maybe a video, for us, Luke? That would be awesome ;)

Or the wx radar is so realistic it got screwed up by the Sahara sand swirling over Europe since a few days, lol.

You should have seen the sat image they showed us on TV yesterday. Looked like a solid tropical storm was sitting with its center right on top of Amsterdam!

Rob Robson