Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Kane

What are the odds - Skydiver almost hit by meteorite

What are the odds of catching a shot of a meteorite when jumping from an aeroplane as it passes by you?

According to geologist Hans Amundsen - of the Natural History Museum in Oslo - this is the first ever film of a meteorite falling through its dark flight stage. The chances of this happening, according to the scientist, are "much less likely than winning the lottery three times in a row."

Matthew Kane

Saw this on the news last night. Crazy stuff. Now they're trying to locate where the meteorite hit the ground.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

That is absolutely insane. Lucky he got it on video! 

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I hope he bought a lottery ticket!

Crazy

What are the odds of catching a shot of a meteorite when jumping from an aeroplane as it passes by you?

What are the odds of a similar meteorite striking a Boeing 777 shortly after reaching cruise alt. and causing catastrophic damage & depressurization?

Such an event would seem to fit what is known of the disappearance of Malaysian Flight 370.

( In 1963 an Air Canada DC8 plunged almost vertically into a swamp. There was literally nothing visible of the airplane. Such a crash in jungle might be virtually invisible to search planes.)

january 

I'm guessing that's a practical joke.  Probably started circulating on April Fool's day.

What are the odds of a similar meteorite striking a Boeing 777 shortly after reaching cruise alt. and causing catastrophic damage & depressurization?
Such an event would seem to fit what is known of the disappearance of Malaysian Flight 370.

I would have to say no.

The speed of a meteorite would obliterate a 777 and MH370 was tracked on radar and pinged on satellite

( In 1963 an Air Canada DC8 plunged almost vertically into a swamp. There was literally nothing visible of the airplane. Such a crash in jungle might be virtually invisible to search planes.)

I have no idea where you are getting this from because Air Canada commenced operations on 1 January 1965. .

Matthew Kane

I'm guessing that's a practical joke.  Probably started circulating on April Fool's day.

I had the same thoughts as well, due to this being in Europe and it is not yet summer there, that kind of gives it away.

Matthew Kane

My wife was no more than a hundred feet from something that fell from the sky some years back.  She was walking along the beach.  I was some ways behind her.  The flaming object landed in the water.  From the bright green color, I would surmise that it was mostly copper and therefore a piece of space junk that de-orbited.

I would have to say no.

The speed of a meteorite would obliterate a 777 and MH370 was tracked on radar and pinged on satellite

I have no idea where you are getting this from because Air Canada commenced operations on 1 January 1965. .

Depends on the size of the particle- always remember e=mc(squared) !

I would guess a grain of sand/small pebble size might make a hole similar to a 50 cal bullet.

You are technically correct- the DC8 that crashed at St Therese Que. was operated by TCA (Trans Canada Airlines- 1938) which was renamed Air Canada in 1965.  (as prep for privatization from gov't ownership as I recall.)

I flew out of Calgary on another DC8 a few hours after the crash- you have never seen a more subdued load of passengers- almost total cabin quiet and a lot of pale faces -all listening to mysterious flap and gear hydraulic sounds! 

january

My wife was no more than a hundred feet from something that fell from the sky some years back.  She was walking along the beach.  I was some ways behind her.  The flaming object landed in the water.  From the bright green color, I would surmise that it was mostly copper and therefore a piece of space junk that de-orbited.

Wow that must have been somthing!  It is said that tons of material fall to earth each day. so maybe it isnt as unlikely as it seems ... it is a wild weird world after all even without people!

It is said that tons of material fall to earth each day. so maybe it isnt as unlikely as it seems ...

A little research says that perhaps 19,000 meteorites of over 3.5 oz. are intercepted by Earth each day.

Earth acquires about 100 tons of dust sized micro meteorites daily.

A few each day, are the size of a baseball or basketball. And it's said that once a week or so, earth is hit by a rock the size of a car!

So remember that, the next time you are sipping a cool one at 40,000 ft. !!!

january

The speed of a meteorite would obliterate a 777

Not necessarly. Some meteorites slows down in the atmosphere to the point were they fall like freefall