Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

PMDG 777 ENGINE ANTI ICE (AUTO) SP1?

Hi guys,

I was intrigued into how the 777 auto engine and wing anti ice systems were going to work within FSX and as expected, with the current build, the pmdg 777 never turns on the engine anti ice when flying through moisture when the temp is +10c and below..

With the new ASN builds and relationship is it now possible that PMDG can accurately detect clouds and therefore moisture to then activate the AUTO anti ice systems?

Or are we going to keep on manually turning it off and on?

Regards,

Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Hi,

Despite very rare, I have already seen the engine anti-ice going on with ASN, but never the wing anti-ice, though.

The first time, I saw the TAI appearing on the upper EICAS close to thrust indication, I couldnt believe it. I went to the lower EICAS and selected the Air page and actually the EAI valves were open with the EAI switches to auto.

I concluded that the logic was there. However, it seems to be random. Each time it appeared it was during climb where icing could occur but in many situations where ASN indicates icing in the debug windows the EAI does not go on.

So, I'm still wondering as well...

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

I have seen it operate in the automatic position. It was about +3, descending through an overcast layer into PANC.

I believe at the moment the T7's icing logic doesn't "talk" with ASN.

SP1?

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

EAI defintely works in Auto. I have monitored the anti ice system remotely using sim physics X.   Activation only occurs after ice has begun to build, with ASN this only occurs when in prolonged Moderate to severe icing conditions  

@Alex, the real aircraft will not automatically engage Anti ice at 10c with moisture, it needs to actually detect ice build up.   10c with moisture is very reserved and is for crew action only.

WAI only works when airborne.  Once again a fair amount of ice build needs to be detected before automated activation.  

You could try putting the aircraft in a holding pattern, low altitude heavy rain and freezing conditions, after a while you should see WAI engage automatically.   (have never tested WAI in the  sim) 

Manual use of engine & wing anti ice works 100% with ASN

Rob Prest

Ok,

I have never seen the EAI go on during my flights,

Would pmdg comment on the ASN integration for greater accuracy for ice?

Alex 

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Ok,

I have never seen the EAI go on during my flights,

Would pmdg comment on the ASN integration for greater accuracy for ice?

Alex 

Don't want to speak on PMDG's behalf, however....  Nothing much for PMDG to comment on, ice effects work fine with ASN just like every addon. As far as my testing shows, ASN treats icing just like any other weather addon over the past x years.   

It is crude but it works. FS icing is very basic, so basic in fact that it is completely wrong.  Accurate simulation would require work from the developers of the addon aircraft. This is something that is way out of the scope for FSX airliners.

Regards

Rob Prest

I've seen the anti ice systems go on a few times when i flew threw out of EGLL once.

I can confirm, in right conditions (icing) with ASN the EAI indication comes on.

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

@Alex, the real aircraft will not automatically engage Anti ice at 10c with moisture, it needs to actually detect ice build up.   10c with moisture is very reserved and is for crew action only.

That is correct.

In real life you rarely see Anti ice being activated automatically.

In 12 years I have never seen Auto Wing Anti ice activation.

Engine anti ice IS activated sometimes.

but maybe only on something like 5% of flights in wintery conditions.

So where you would have manually switched on already, in 95% of those flight you dont actually have any ice build up.

Rob Robson

Slightly OT but in addition to what Rob said, icing simulation would be an interesting update.

The DA-20 Katana from Aerosoft is the only aircraft I've ever flown that simulates icing well. (The aircraft flight characteristics change with ice accumulation.) I'm not sure if it simulates the different types of icing, but I've been able to stall it and crash through prolonged (I.E, 5 Minutes) of flying in severe icing.

Every other "icing" simulation, be it caused by FSX, ASN, FSCaptain or whatever simply adds weight to the aircraft empty weight. That's not what kills you when flying into icing - the change in flight characteristics or the freezing of control surfaces does.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Slightly OT but in addition to what Rob said, icing simulation would be an interesting update.

The DA-20 Katana from Aerosoft is the only aircraft I've ever flown that simulates icing well. (The aircraft flight characteristics change with ice accumulation.) I'm not sure if it simulates the different types of icing, but I've been able to stall it and crash through prolonged (I.E, 5 Minutes) of flying in severe icing.

Every other "icing" simulation, be it caused by FSX, ASN, FSCaptain or whatever simply adds weight to the aircraft empty weight. That's not what kills you when flying into icing - the change in flight characteristics or the freezing of control surfaces does.

simphysics X does a very good job with icing, it also sorts out realistic braking for Airlines, wouldn't fly without it.

Rob Prest

simphysics X does a very good job with icing, it also sorts out realistic braking for Airlines, wouldn't fly without it.

Is it 100% compatible with the PMDG 777 or 737 NGX?

James Goggi

Is it 100% compatible with the PMDG 777 or 737 NGX?

Yes, although I switched off Anti skid simulation as recommended in the documentation.  

Rob Prest

Does it screw up the the way the 777 is set up to work with the default friction? Otherwise, it sounds rather interesting.

Best regards,

Robin.