Sign in to follow this  
SlowFlyer

Why doesn't LM offer P3d add-ons on their website?

Today, I went to Prepar3d's website and noticed they have a "Store" page.

Other than offering different licenses for their product (Prepar3d) there aren't any listed add-on for planes, scenery, etc.

Aside for links to four developers, but otherwise that's it.

Is this because flight schools, the military, airlines, etc develop their own planes for their clients/employees to fly with on Prepar3d?

Since some excellent developers of FSX are hesitant to sell version for P3d, I wonder if, in time, Prepar3d will reach out to developers and commission them to produce more high quality add-ons.

In this way, we would be assured of compatibility and wouldn't have to worry about migrating fsx planes into P3d.

I wouldn't mind some cool boats, cars, etc to explore their world too!

10850K, MSI Unify Z490, 32gb G.Skill Ripjaw 3600 CL16, MSI 5700 XT 8gb, Nochua NH-U12a, WD 500gb Black SSD (OS- Windows 10 Pro), Samsung 2tb Evo plus SSD (games), Superflower 850 watts power supply

Is this a late April Fools posting?

Sure, let's tell Lockheed NOT to focus 100% on making P3D better. Let's branch off to selling addons for the sim. Like Lockheed NEEDS the extra revenue! Then we can get them to open a virtual Starbucks and we can buy virtual lattes and chat about our flights, all while munching on a scone! :lol:

Is this a late April Fools posting?

Sure, let's tell Lockheed NOT to focus 100% on making P3D better. Let's branch off to selling addons for the sim. Like Lockheed NEEDS the extra revenue! Then we can get them to open a virtual Starbucks and we can buy virtual lattes and chat about our flights, all while munching on a scone! :lol:

I thought we did that, I'm at the virtual Starbucks called avsim.

It's a good point though, a dedicated P3D store with addons for various license levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

Nope, not a late April fool's day posting

But if you buy a professional version of P3d, you get some planes included, but it seems they are banking on third parties to add more, so why not FEATURE those developers?

Sort of highlight what is available on their website. No where did I post that they had to make the planes or scenery and WE would know what is compatible with out affecting performance.

Plus, if it wasn't for the foundation of FSX, FSX's third party developers, and people migrating FSX planes into P3d, you would have a more limited flight sim, imho.

Plus, my question still stands, do people who use P3d in flight school, etc, use  Corenado planes or do they develop their own planes, or the planes included? I doubt a flight schools is using the fighter jets.

Plus, how does commissioning the development of more in depth planes for their sim hurt, takes time away, or hinders them from building a more rounded and appealing sim? 

For me, If they could get Flight1 onboard with their b200, I would buy the pro version, if I had to.

As of now, although I am tempted to buy P3d, I am  still on FSX which is running better on my new PC then it did (obviously) on my 4 year old pc. 

Maybe they don't need my money (or the others who are in the same boat as me), but even though version 2.2 will probably be great, I wish I knew other than Corenado (which I enjoy on FSX) which planes are built for the sim, etc.

Just because you think a question is foolish is not a reason to be flip.

Next time, I will just not post.

10850K, MSI Unify Z490, 32gb G.Skill Ripjaw 3600 CL16, MSI 5700 XT 8gb, Nochua NH-U12a, WD 500gb Black SSD (OS- Windows 10 Pro), Samsung 2tb Evo plus SSD (games), Superflower 850 watts power supply

Don't let one respondent keep you from posting! There are thousands of folks who'll read and enjoy your suggestions, even though they might not answer themselves... B)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Well today I just purchased the Carenado Phenom, works well in FSX and P3D. Last week the C195 and C172RG from Alabeo. Both for P3d. And some bodies LAX all for P3d. You point is?

As I stated, above, I am well aware that Carenado's products work in P3d. Most people know this because Carenado states it, but a lot of people are trying to place other, older and newer FSX stuff into P3d. Some stuff works well, some stuff not so well.

My point is: 

I would think it would be beneficial for P3d to get the word out about which software is  compatible with their sim. Obviously, there need for this info, otherwise there won't be a pinned topic (up there) with three pages of poster discussing which planes are and which are not compatible. I feel an ideal place would be on their website.

A bad (maybe) analogy would be:

If I buy a motherboard, the motherboard's website will have a page that list which ram is compatible.

In a similar way, this would benefit third party software developers and might entice new developers (and old ones) to make products for P3d. More products might lead to more P3d sales.

Ironically, I just learned from your post of Alabeo (the C172RG looks great).

Even though I have been flight simming for almost 10 years, I have never heard of Alabeo. You'd think P3d would highlight these planes and this company for the student learner.

I think it would be a great idea if they had a page on their site which shows all 100% compatible addons, but selling them themselves would be a bit too much, I think. Possible problem: they would have to sell everything there is otherwise some developers who don't get into the shop, could start complaining and things would get ugly pretty soon (knowing simmers and developers... ^_^ ). It also obviously would take time and money and resources from LM to take care of it all, while there already are a lot of flightsimshops on the internet. Also, those other flightsimshops could start complaing because it wouldn't be fair competition!

The idea isn't bad at all and there certainly is some logic in it but I don't think it will happen for various reasons. Well, forget about that 'think': it won't happen. ^_^ But I do agree that somehow LM should consider making it more clear to its customers that there already are a lot of addons available: they could indeed benefit from it. At the same time: we don't know how many of their customers are home flightsimmers. It could well be their main customers are 'professional simulators' who have their own way of getting the neccessary addons and who wouldn't even THINK about getting a Carenado plane...

Nice idea, but sadly I don't see LM ever venturing further into the retail market. Personally I'd like to see a tightly controlled and intergrated addon shop in the sim.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I think it would be a great idea if they had a page on their site which shows all 100% compatible addons

Surely it is the developer's responsibly  to  determine if their add-ons are 100% compatible rather that Lockheed Martin? I doubt Lockheed Martin will take on that role. 

Beam me up Scotty! 

LM should do this, LM should do that, get into peanuts add-on selling? It's happening again!  Guys, take a look at Wikipedia or sump'n - do you really understand what LM is?  LM has something over $US 45 BILLION turnover p.a.  Don't mix LM corporate with a small (very, very small) simulator arm - do you really think they need to get into the business of competing with  5 man armies? Even the P3D bit itself is probably largely goodwill . . .

What some of us have said before - too much  of this BS and the big brass will just pull the plug on us "non-corporate" customers and some nice guys will lose their jobs. I shouldn't think the brass cares one monkey's about whether it makes a profit or what we tiny, tiny number think.   And don't talk about "it's customers" - 99% (or more!)  of the peeps on here are not professional (no talking about EULAs).  And while our input on problem solving for example is probably helpful to WMB and co. I think we're kidding ourselves about our great importance in the real scheme of things. That 45 billion sure isn't from P3D sales or our pocket money!

Tell you what though - if this sort of whinging does get P3D pulled for us "unofficials", then I will get unhappy  . . . I'm sure that LM will be quaking in their boots   ;-)

Thanks for the responses.

Some of the responses make a lot of sense. This is why I frequently visit Avsim everyday.  Many great and knowledgeable people who offer good advice and bring up reasons and ideas haven't consider.

This makes for a great discussion/forum.

Avsim is always interesting and increases my knowledge above and beyond just aviation material.

I spend more time reading topics than using FSX :lol:

Again, thanks to all of you.

Even the P3D bit itself is probably largely goodwill . . .

What some of us have said before - too much  of this BS and the big brass will just pull the plug on us "non-corporate" customers and some nice guys will lose their jobs. I shouldn't think the brass cares one monkey's about whether it makes a profit or what we tiny, tiny number think.

Close, but not quite on the money. As long as L-M's actual civil and government training markets exist, Wes Bard et alia will continue to be employed. That is after all where L-M achieves some profitability...  :ph34r:

On the other hand, you are quite correct with regards to "us" being allowed to come along for the ride. Even though I am among the recognized "Solution Developers" and thus able to participate in beta testing as well as information to which the general public has no access, I still count myself as being among the ubiquitous "us" mentioned previously. :drinks:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

a

Close, but not quite on the money. As long as L-M's actual civil and government training markets exist, Wes Bard et alia will continue to be employed. That is after all where L-M achieves some profitability...

That is true. However  but many, if not all, all Lockheed Martin's civil and government training customers will have support contracts and have direct access to Prepar3d's staff. They won't use the forums for that. When the forums become unviable from Lockheed Martin's point of view they will be likely to go.

Fr.  Bill - quite right,  I stand - or sit - corrected.  I was concentrating on P3D.  I would say hopefully LM makes some profit outside the training markets though - mind you, that F-35 appears to be a sink-hole for money  :mellow:   We should maybe differentiate between the Prepar3D site and the LM site - the real/main LM site http://www.lockheedmartin.com/  seems to show aircraft and ships they have available, though the Littoral Combat Ship and the aforesaid F-35 come in a bit more expensive than the average flight-sim add-on. 

Mike