Sign in to follow this  
airlinerpilot

How many FPS do you get in your Fsx?

Can anybody please explain to me how to get "smooth" FSX while looking at 30 FPS?

When i lock my frames to 30, FSX is stuttering all over the place while locking them at 60 frames

i dont see any stuttering and spiking anymore...where is the trick with those 30 FPS please?

Best regards,

Tom

Can anybody please explain to me how to get "smooth" FSX while looking at 30 FPS?

When i lock my frames to 30, FSX is stuttering all over the place while locking them at 60 frames

i dont see any stuttering and spiking anymore...where is the trick with those 30 FPS please?

Best regards,

Tom

Tom, I don't understand your issue. If you say you don't have stuttering or spiking when locked at 60, then leave it locked at 60! Every rig, as I'm sure you know, is different and will behave differently under similar scenarios when compared to someone else's system. IMO, locking your framerate at 30, rather than allowing it to be unlimited or in fact locking it more than 30, allows more CPU resources to be used for loading textures and scenery, as opposed to maintaining a framerate beyond what is adequate.

I would suggest if you are getting spiking and stutters when locked at 30, with your system, then there is some issue at play. I would suggest it is down to settings. The spiking, I would bet, is down to a mismanaged Bufferpools setting. You have the GTX770 and so shouldn't have any spiking, unless you are running the water slider setting at Low 2x or below with BP=0. Anyway, I'm starting to get too specific. I would suggest, if you wish to lock framerates at 30, because maybe to alleviate blurries, then you post your cfg and slider settings.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I can't get more than 20FPS, because that's where I locked them after my fresh install. Anyway, I don't take a look at the FPS display as long as I don't have any severe stuttering issues. And then I only take a look to see what influence changes have.

But as others have said: It's useless to count the FPS, as long as you can enjoy the experience- be that at 15 or 100 frames per second!

Frame rates is a quantitative number, but the frame rate value is not the most important aspect to my enjoyment of FSX or any flight sim.  Smoothness is what I seek.  I'll take 15 fps and glass smooth over 60 fps and jerky.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Yeah! I've got 60 FPS smooth and clear. Lock it to 61 FPS and all is fine!

There's lots of talk about smoothness. Yes, a smooth 30 frames per second is better than not being smooth. But now pan around the VC. You most definitely can see the difference between 30 FPS and higher when you pan around the VC.

Last night I flew the Lancair, with ASN weather. No frame rate lock at all. I'm lucky that I can do this without stuttering. Panning around the VC was lovely, silky smooth. My frame rate was over 100 FPS.

So yes, there is indeed an advantage in regard to frame rate over 30. I can spot the difference instantly.

I should add, I can achieve super high frame rate because I have a powerful system, sensible slider settings, an unlocked frame rate, and no super demanding scenery add-ons. All I fly with is GEX and UTX, and ASN.

I should add, my VAS is super low as well.

I am using a simple configuration on a slightly overclocked Core i7 4770K (4.2 GHz) with a GTX780 and usually have 60fps with any addon almost anywhere. Right now i'm descending into an overcast airport with the MD-11 and getting 60fps.

My framerate is unlimited, my nVidia driver is configured with vsync and triple buffering (also antialiasing, anisotropic filtering, SSAA2x, etc). I don't pay attention to this anymore, i found the perfect configuration for my FSX over 1 year ago and totally forgot about it and just enjoy the sim the best i can with very high settings configured.

On a side note, you can perfectly distinguish between 30 and 60fps. It becomes harder to 'see' over 60-70fps, but lower than that it's just very noticeable.

EDIT:

Here's a pic....

f045yr.jpg

• Upvote 1

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Panning around the VC was lovely, silky smooth. My frame rate was over 100 FPS.

So yes, there is indeed an advantage in regard to frame rate over 30. I can spot the difference instantly.

That's exactly what i was talking about! There IS a difference!

Tom

In the 20s and locked at 30. When I upgrade my system in a few years I will still be in the 20s and locked at 30. It's a result of moving the FSX sliders.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Personal perception. What some see, others don't, or do not care about. If you like what you have, be happy!

Hello,

After allot of research I have discovered that most people seem to play FSX at 30FPS. For a while now I have been chasing 60FPS. As in Fs2004 I get 60FPS on the highest setting, with loads of add-on's and high traffic levels.

My system can run FSX perfectly fine on 30FPS but when I'm not in a demanding area of the game I can keep a stable 60FPS. Sadly traffic robs my frame rates. I am just interested in what would you say is the best frame rate to play the game at? I wish FSX would run as perfectly as my FS2004 would but that doesn't appear to be a possibility with any type of hard ware. Thanks for reading.

Gentleman,

Here is how you reply to the an OP who joined the forum 5 days ago and has made 6 post probably asking questions about what most here take as read:

You are looking for a smooth sim experience. The established wisdom is FPS has little to do with that so don't get obsessed with it. You will need to download and run a program call Nvidia inspector if you don't already have it. You can use this program to adjust many graphical setting in the sim but the setting you are interested in this case is the "1/2 refresh rate". So lock your sim to 30FPS and adjust your sliders so that you can maintain 30fps in any situation. How well you can do in this regard depends on your hardware and how well you have set your FSX system up. Your monitor should be running at 60hz. So your FPS is half the monitor refresh rate, hence the name "1/2 refresh rate". This method has the effect of eliminating stutters caused by V-sync and so long as you maintain 30fps your sim will be smooth and virtually stutter free.

You can look for a guide here on AVSIM by searching for Nvidia Inspector 1/2 refresh rate or here is the guide that I used which will give you all the other useful FSX setting for Nvidia Inspector too:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/drivers-nv-inspector-fsxcfg-complete-guide_topic36586.html

forget about anything above 30 FPS in FSX it is never going to happen in any way that is satisfactory with the current hardware.

Once you have achieve the above turn off the frame counter, forget about it, go fly and enjoy it.

• Upvote 1

You are looking for a smooth sim experience. The established wisdom is FPS has little to do with that so don't get obsessed with it.

Not true.

3 frames per second can never be smooth, whether you have stutters or not, so obviously frames per second has a lot to do with it.

30 plus frames per second does equate to smoothness, in terms of not being aware of each frame.

We can define smoothness two ways. 1. No stutters. 2. Frame rate high enough that the brain perceives it as smooth motion. Both factors should be addressed if you desire a smooth sim.

In cinematography 25 frames per second appears as smooth to the human eye, in PC games the figure is higher. It also depends on ones individual sensitivity to such things.

forget about anything above 30 FPS in FSX it is never going to happen in any way that is satisfactory with the current hardware.

Totally untrue!

Last night, my frame rate counter read 100 fps, with zero stutters. Even with PMDG aircraft and ASN weather, I see greater than 30 frames per second most of the time.

When people stop demanding ultra high sliders, stop being greedy for the latest hyper detailed, ultra demanding scenery add-on's, the incorrect statements quoted above will cease.

Last night, my frame rate counter read 100 fps, with zero stutters. Even with PMDG aircraft and ASN weather

Like to know what your pc  specs are to get 100  using pmdg aircraft

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I am totally with you martin-w!

I'm doing IFR flying most of the time. So what i am looking for is a good plane for that (PMDG, Aerosoft Airbus, MJC Dash 8) and of course

a good weather engine (ASN).

The only add on scenery i use is FTX Global. No need for photoreal Airports, mountains etc...

My FSX runs at 60 FPS locked and rarely drops below that...

But thats the personal decision of every single FSX user wheter he wants a photoreal FSX or a smooth running one... i'd ever prefer the smooth one...

Tom

• Upvote 1