Sign in to follow this  
Cfoley

Unable to install AVSIM liveries

I have FSX with PMDG 747-400 and the 8i.  PMDG does not have Delta Airlines livery for the 747-400 and I tried to install from the AVSIM library with no success.  While it is easy installing add on liveries that come with the product purchased, it does does not work if it is from the AVSIM library.  I would down load the aircraft livery, extract from my download file and place it in the Simobject file.  C:ProgramFiles(86)Microsoftgames/MicrosoftFlightSimulatorX/SimObjects/Airplanes/PMDG747-400.   It is there in the file but it does not show when I open up FSX to select the aircraft.  I checked all kinds of forums but cannot find out what I may be doing wrong.  There is no "Run As Administrator" for the AVSIM library livery after I download it from the library.  I only have the option to "Extract".  I use Windows 7.  I have been finding out that along with adding the texture file,I am to copy the "Read me" file and then place it into the aircraft cfg file, but while I am able to copy this, for some reason it does not give the option of pasting it in the cfg file.

Cray Foley

Hello Cray,

I think your problem is with the last step modifying the aircraft.cfg file.

In order for that added livery to show correctly, you need to add an entry into this file. The readme file contains the appropriate section of info you need to copy and paste. This is the [fltsim.x] section.

You should not copy the entire readme file into the aircraft.cfg file as this will definitely cause you problems! Just the relevant fltsim section is needed.

Take the information in the readme listed under the [fltsim.x] section including the leading line as just mentioned and copy the entire section and paste it into your aircraft.cfg immediately underneath the last [fltsim.x] section that exists in your aircraft.cfg file where x in this case represents a number.

You will note that in your aircraft.cfg file there may be several if not hundreds of fltsim.x sections.

Once your new fltsim section is pasted into the aircraft.cfg file at the appropriate place ,the last step is to ensure the sequential numbering of the fltsim sections is consistent.

For example, if your .cfg file contains 8 [fltsim] sections (numbered 0 through 7) and it shows [fltsim.7], then your newly pasted section would then be added underneath this last section and the [fltsim.x] header for that new section would then need to be changed to [fltsim.8].

Once this section is added, just save the aircraft.cfg file.

Here's an excerpt of one of mine.... where adding a new livery would mean it requires the fltsim header to be renamed [fltsim.8] (see here in red bold below) since [fltsim.7] (here in blue) already exists in my aircraft.cfg file.

[fltsim.7]
title=PMDG747-400 Cathay Pacific normal colors
sim=B747-400
model=RR
panel=VC
sound=RR
texture=cathay
kb_checklists=PMDG747-400_CHECK
atc_id_color=0xffffffff
atc_id=B-HOU
atc_airline=cathay
atc_flight_number=540
ui_manufacturer=Boeing
ui_type=747-400BCF
ui_variation=Cathay Pacific Cargo
ui_typerole=747-400
ui_createdby=PMDG
description=Boeing 747-400 with RR engines v 2.0\nPrecision Manuals Development Group\nwww.precisionmanuals.com \nFor use with BOEING 747 by PMDG \nFor Technical Support please visit
www.precisionmanuals.com or email support@precisionmanuals.com \nPMDG Developer and Customer Forum available at our website. \nSounds Developed by PMDG \nFSUIPC Commercially Licensed from Pete Downson \nAll Artwork encoded using Digimark Technology \nThank you for supporting PMDG!\n
visual_damage=0
atc_heavy=1
atc_parking_types=CARGO, RAMP, MIL_CARGO

[fltsim.8]
title=PMDG747-400 Asiana 747-400BDSF
sim=B747-400
model=ge
panel=VC
sound=ge
texture=asiana
kb_checklists=PMDG747-400_CHECK
atc_id_color=0xffffffff
atc_id=HL7415
atc_airline=asiana
atc_flight_number=40
ui_manufacturer=Boeing
ui_type=747-400BDSF
ui_variation=Asiana Cargo
ui_typerole=747-400
ui_createdby=PMDG
description=Boeing 747-400 with GE engines v 2.0\nPrecision Manuals Development Group\nwww.precisionmanuals.com \nFor use with BOEING 747 by PMDG \nFor Technical Support please visit
www.precisionmanuals.com or email support@precisionmanuals.com \nPMDG Developer and Customer Forum available at our website. \nSounds Developed by PMDG \nFSUIPC Commercially Licensed from Pete Downson \nAll Artwork encoded using Digimark Technology \nThank you for supporting PMDG!\n
visual_damage=0
atc_heavy=1
atc_parking_types=CARGO, RAMP, MIL_CARGO

If you get stuck, let us know and we'll get you and running.

Cheers

Mark

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Mark,

I only copied the required entry information in the "Readme" file, but as I mentioned,  while I can copy the file, I do not have the option of "pasting" the file.  My Pasting function works in other areas, such Word, documents, or picture files, etc.  But for this,  there is no paste option for some reason.

Cray Foley

You have to highlight the text you want to copy from the readme file while holding the left mouse button down. After everything you want is highlighted, right click on it and choose copy. If it is on your clipboard then the paste option should be active when you go to paste it in your cfg file.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

or CRTL +C and then CTRL+V. Std Windows keyboard shortcuts.

Also, I would use Notepad to edit the aircarft.cfg file. It has basic editing functions.

Regards

Mark

Spoiler

Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge

I did that, but there is no "paste" option.  I do have a paste option in the Readme file but not the texture or airplane cfg file.

Cray Foley

Cray, to add to what Mark has advised you to do.

Once you have successfully edited the aircraft.cfg file(I suggest you use Notepad to highlight all that is listed under [flt.sim X] where you downloaded that Delta repaint. Then you should be able to go to wherever the PMDG 747 is located in your SimObjects, open that aircraft.cfg which should open in Notepad, then paste under the very last [flt.sim 'X'], 'X'=meaning the last number. So, if that number is [flt.sim 10], yours should read [flt,sim11]. Once you have done that, save that aircraft.cfg file, or you may be prompted to Save.

That done, go back to wherever you had that Read Me......etc. In that downloaded repaint file, you will have something along the lines of Texture.xyz(xyz meaning the name of that repaint, i,e.texture.IAW-YIASA, texture.etc,etc. Yours could be texture.DL). Copy/paste that entire texture folder and drop it into your relevant PMDG 747-400 as its a Delta Airlines passenger aircraft.

Hope this helps. Come back here as this Community will help you out.

Cheers

I am sorry,  this is getting too complicated and I am not the great with software troubleshooting. I still cannot get things to work regarding this notebook/paste issue and I really don't understand the instructions here.  Even if the paste did work,  I don't understand the placement of this section and that section, do this here and that there, etc. It is a bit beyond me.  I will have to make do without any add on liveries from AVSIM.  Thanks for the help though.

Cray Foley

Hello Cray,

If you want to try additional steps we're here to help.

You could read this. This may better explain how to use Notepad and the copy/paste features. Your choice.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6938218_copy-paste-using-notepad.html

Alternatively the simplest approach maybe to send me your aircraft.cfg file. I can modify it based on what you want to add. To do this, pls send me the Avsim weblink to the Delta repaint download you want installed. Also send me your aircraft.cfg via email to my e-mail address in my Avsim proifle.

Then all you will need to do is copy the Textures folder to the correct PMDG folder and replace the updated aircraft.fg file with the latest one I have edited.

No pressure. If it's too much hassle I understand, but that's an open offer if you still want to pursue this.

Just let us know.

Regards

Mark

Spoiler

Mark Aldridge

Hi Mark. Superb help to Cray. Are you the very same Mark Aldridge that comes up with those brilliant PMDG 747-400 repaints?

Hi Rick. Yes. the very same!

Just trying to help a fellow simmer out.....

Which reminds me, I should get back to my repaints!!!! :wink:

Spoiler

Mark Aldridge