Sign in to follow this  
ZKOKQ

Daylight Saving Ends In the Morning

And I never knew that New Zealand was the first country in the world to implement it The idea was first mooted in 1895. Yet in 2006, Microsoft could not implement it properly in FSX. :lol:

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/biographies/3h42/hudson-george-vernon

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I think Daylight Savings Time is a bad idea. The best solution is to change the clock to half hour between the two and never change it ever again.

As for FSX their are a few Time Sync programs that solve that problem, as well as flying between time zones and over the international date line.

Matthew Kane

I'm relatively certain most want more daylight during the evening hours. That's where the time should be and stay IMO.

Already changed back in the US a couple of weeks ago, I hate falling back and springing forward... :)

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I love going forward its another hour of daylight

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I love going forward its another hour of daylight

I like the sun coming up at 5am (best time to take the bike out is when everyone else is still asleep and roads are empty) and when it stays light as late as possible! Nothing like sunset on the beach!!!

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I think Daylight Savings Time is a bad idea. The best solution is to change the clock to half hour between the two and never change it ever again.

I have ALWAYS said that too!!!

As for FSX their are a few Time Sync programs that solve that problem, as well as flying between time zones and over the international date line.

Hmm whenever I cross timezones FSX seems to properly adjust the environment and the actual clock in my aircraft.

Yes, FS RealTime Matt. Never fly without it. But I read on Avsim some time ago that for 2 weeks after Daylight starts/Ends FSX internal clock does not calculate properly. Maybe it is AI schedules, cannot remember now what the time bug is.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Latest news out of website Science Daily is a published report that indicates Daylight saving has a detrimental effect on people. The First working day after a change over (either spring forward or drop back), indicates heart attack rates rise by 25 % over the norm. A statistically significant blip....

Yes, FS RealTime Matt. Never fly without it. But I read on Avsim some time ago that for 2 weeks after Daylight starts/Ends FSX internal clock does not calculate properly. Maybe it is AI schedules, cannot remember now what the time bug is.

I don't think there is any time bug in FSX.  Like in many other cases, the default program only provided detailed timezone (including DST) data for certain areas (US and Western Europe).  But it did provide an sdk and documentation on how to create new timezone/DST files.  Unfortunately, where I think there is a bug, in that the files don't seem to operate 100% correctly (at least as I interpret the sdk).  Have no idea if P3D does anything about this.

[Description of bug:  You can define timezone geo areas as lat/long boxes (rectangles) using bglcomp.  Since actual timezone boundaries tend to have irregular borders, this can be a chore to set up (accuracy requires smaller, more numerous boxes).  One way around this is that the sdk/bglcomp allows for overlaid boxes, using a priority value 0-255 sort of as an exclusion mechanism.  Thus it is possible to create a timezone "island" within a larger timezone box.  Unfortunately, I have found in testing this doesn't work 100%, and I was unable to determine why/where it would fail.  This makes creating accurate timezones a challenge.  (My example case for this is the Channel Islands off of France, which observe UK time, not continental time.  I haven't been able to get a timezone box for the islands to override the larger box for the continent.  Yes, it is theoretically possible to redraw the continental timezone as several smaller boxes which don't cover the Channel Islands, but that's a huge amount of work and since I don't know when/where this problem might exist, it means having to test every overlay in the sim to see if it is working.  I had designed a lua script for fsuipc that would have an aircraft follow a flight plan at rate 16x that I designed to cross over timezone boundaries and log the system time but that is time consuming even at 16x.)]

scott s.

Hmm whenever I cross timezones FSX seems to properly adjust the environment and the actual clock in my aircraft.

It has limitations with certain time zones as some have DST and some don't. It also doesn't adjust the date for international date line, and the sun jumps around when you cross time zones, plus a few other bug fixes.

For us in New Zealand the DST is an issue in FSX

Matthew Kane

It has limitations with certain time zones as some have DST and some don't. It also doesn't adjust the date for international date line, and the sun jumps around when you cross time zones, plus a few other bug fixes.

For us in New Zealand the DST is an issue in FSX

We are a small but significant blip.... :rolleyes:

Daylight savings sells more french fries and fastfood, helps golf courses. Hurts farmers, night owls, people with cardio issues. Spring in Minnesota not like spring time in Texas its 4 to 6 week delay. Should move clocks in May and not March. March still subzero and lots of snow.

The closer to the poles you get, the longer the period of time the sun is above the horizon in the summer, and the shorter in the winter.

Indeed, at the pole, you get between 4 and 6 months of "Sun above the horizon" (depending on which pole, Magnetic, Geographic, Centre of Rotation, Geomagnetic) 

At the pole, during the period that the sun is above the horizon, it appears to rotate through a full circle around the horizon over a 24 hour period.

I was in Hobart, Tasmania once in November. The sunlight of sunrise woke me up. at 3:50am. It was full daylight by 4:30am.

Daylight Savings is the only reason that there wasn't full daylight by 3:30am.

Way down south (or way up north) daylight savings just makes sense.

However, I can never agree that a timezone that is, say UTC+9.5 or UTC+8.25 (15 minutes displaced from UTC+8) makes any kind of sense at all.

STICK TO FULL HOUR OFFSETS FROM UTC OMG!

In conclusion: Daylight Savings makes sense if your latitude is 35°N/S or more, and Half hour and Quater hour offsets from UTC are stupid.