Sign in to follow this  
jetsmell

Sound Packs

For what? We need to know what your using the pack for before we can make a suggestion.

RE Thomason Jr.

Sounds are specialized for a specific aircraft! Stating Airlines and GA is too general. 737, C172 etc?

What about Flight1's Audio Environment? There's a GA and an airliner bundle available, which enhance both user and AI aircraft sounds, but of course not at such a level of detail as aircraft- and engine-specific soundsets like TSS - but since you're not exactly precise about the aircraft you want to sounds for, this might be a nice option.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

Thanks for the above help. I was just hoping for a pack that would cover more than one. I'll look into the links.

+1 for TSS.  Everytime I buy a new airplane, I always purchase their sound pack to go along with them.

What about Flight1's Audio Environment? There's a GA and an airliner bundle available, which enhance both user and AI aircraft sounds, but of course not at such a level of detail as aircraft- and engine-specific soundsets like TSS - but since you're not exactly precise about the aircraft you want to sounds for, this might be a nice option.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

From what I know, the two Audio Environment bundles were developed by TSS.

also look in the lib. I have a few in there, and allot of devs have a few for free in there as well (plane specific)

I just purchased the Arezone sound pack for the RealAir Lancair Legacy and found myself surprised that such a fine product as the RealAir Legacy could be improved! 

The sound pack is much deeper, and the 310 HP sounds much more like 310 HP. The stock sound pack has always sounded a little Mattel-like to me.

All is not perfect, however: there is an unnecessary cyclic "droning" sound at cruise. I am really sensitive to repetitive sound patterns and this annoys me no end. Listening to the primary overtones I find it really (really) unnecessary to add the cyclic sound pattern. I will be hunting this cyclic noise down and removing it, post-haste!!!

Other than that, the Arezone sounds are a pretty good improvement. Note that I am only a GA guy, so almost all of the TSS sound packs don't apply to me.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

I will be hunting this cyclic noise down and removing it, post-haste!!!

I'm sure you know this, but for the benefit of others... clicks or taps that repeat are caused by a mis-aligned sound waves. Think of waves shaped like a W. FSX just repeats these waves, so if the line that starts the W is higher or shorter the the last line of the W, then you get a click or a pop.  Drone sounds are harder to fix, as this usually means the sample is too short. 

From what I know, the two Audio Environment bundles were developed by TSS.

Didn't know that, but sounds kinda logical. Anyway, what I was trying to point out was that such "general overhaul packages" -no matter by which developer - are likely to never reach the leval of detail a special sound pack for one engine type can achieve. That's why I put the "aircraft- and engine-specific" line in there.

Drone sounds are harder to fix, as this usually means the sample is too short.

Heya Hawk, 

Yes, I do think the sample is too short on the "engine drone", but did not know about the misalignment causing clicks and taps. Fortunately, the Arezone sound pack does not suffer from those. 

Engine sounds at cruise appear to be made of multiple layers. If I listen carefully I can isolate the "backup singers" and they sound pretty good, so I was thinking about removing the lead singer (Justin is no more!) to see how that sounds. The alternative is to find a longer sample. Ironically, I just purchased the C210M Turbo from Carenado, and that sounds pretty nice. It may have a sound file I can copy as replacement, but that may introduce misaligned sounds. So, first identify, isolate, and remove. If possible, replace.

Dunno, that's for sure! But, I seem to remarkably sensitive to repeating sounds, to the point it makes it grating on the nerves to fly an otherwise nicely implemented aircraft. Other examples I have in my hanger are the Orbx Lancair IVP (more irritating than the current subject at hand) and the IRIS Christen Eagle - a nice flyer, fun to barnstorm in, but a lousy (IMHO) sound pack.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Follow-up.

I have identified the files in question, and they are indeed shorter than the stock RealAir sounds, up to half as long in the take-off climb mode, 3 seconds versus 6 seconds. That would definitely create a audible pattern!

Now, what to do about it. I think some research is in order!

EDIT: After reading about sound files on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526952.aspx it turns out I was comparing apples to orangutans with respect to timing. Downloaded the Audacity WAV editor, and talk about a powerful tool! 

Given that the WAV files have no detectable repetition, particularly since the are shorter than the cyclic sound while in flight, it may have to so with the vparams settings. This is getting pretty complicated pretty quickly!

John Howell

Didn't know that, but sounds kinda logical. Anyway, what I was trying to point out was that such "general overhaul packages" -no matter by which developer - are likely to never reach the leval of detail a special sound pack for one engine type can achieve. That's why I put the "aircraft- and engine-specific" line in there.

That's true.  I have the airliner edition of Audio Environment and even though the sound quality are excellent, it doesn't state what exact engines they are, though I have a feeling I hear RB211 for the Airbus and most likely GE for the 747 (just a guess).

Next time you go out shopping for sound packs, you should check out the new HD Pilot Edition series from TSS.  A very big improvement over their older packs, IMO.  I ended up buying the new MD-11 stuff to replace the older ones.