Sign in to follow this  
jetsmell

Sound Packs

This is getting pretty complicated pretty quickly!

Your doomed!

I use Cool Edit Pro (very old program that cost me over 300 bucks at release, but you can find a hacked free version out there now... and Adobe says they are OK with that!), and FS Sound Studio to make my sound packs with. I wouldn't even think about tackling the vparams settings without FS Sound Studio. It takes allot of work to get a sound.cfg right, regardless of what sounds your using. FSX sound system is complex and simple at the same time, yet really advanced even by todays standards.

My personal sounds for almost all of my AC are "frankenstine" compilations of just about everything in my FSX system. Now that I think about it, my EagleSoft Citation X 2.0 is the only virgin sounds left on my system. The original Carenado B58 sounds are really good also. Arezone has some good ones too, but I noticed that they "borrow" some of the MS sounds too.

Now that you have "stepped in it", one thing that is not really evident is sound file names with more then two engines. Even if they are the same sound, they MUST have different names for each engine. So lets say you have RPM1.wav, and you want to use it for both left and right engines. You need to copy it, and rename it RPM1R.wav, or RPM1L.wav    Otherwise, all kinds of funkly things will happen.... and I have no idea why. But there you have it.

My p&w R-985 twin sound set is my best sound pack I've ever made, and without trying to blow my own horn, is just as good as anything you can buy... And that took 2 solid months to make. So be patient, and read everything... twice!

After Thoughts: The very best... and I mean the very best sound studios are TSS, and Oovee. If you can find packs by these folks for your aircraft, I highly recommend them both.

Hah!

Had to laugh, Hawk, as I realized as soon as I looked at all those 4-decimal-place rparams and vparams settings that I was doomed.

You know, I was flying the Legacy the other night, enjoying a flight along the western edge of the Sierras towards sundown, and I don't think that Arezone sound pack is too bad... after all.

I may futz with it a bit, but I frankly don't think I have the patience. I have figured out that what bothers me is not the repetitive sounds, as all sound packs seem to do that to one degree or another, but "phase" conflicts, where things come and go out of phase. It's like a damn mosquito!

And if TSS had a Legacy/Baron/C90 pack I would be on it like, well, you know. I will have to see if Oovee has some GA packs, as that is all I fly. 

Oh, and by the way, I have your turbo kits on hand for both the Baron and C337. That may be much more fun than changing decimal points in sound files!!! :lol:

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Oh, and by the way, I have your turbo kits on hand for both the Baron and C337. That may be much more fun than changing decimal points in sound files!!!

Glad you enjoy them! That was my first collaboration with the great Gary Jones, who has done a bunch of sound paxs.

Baron TC 2.0 is in the works.. Another collaboration to add damage and maintenance to the Carenado Baron.

What about Flight1's Audio Environment? There's a GA and an airliner bundle available, which enhance both user and AI aircraft sounds, but of course not at such a level of detail as aircraft- and engine-specific soundsets like TSS - but since you're not exactly precise about the aircraft you want to sounds for, this might be a nice option.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

Will Flight1 Audio work with Win 8.1?