Sign in to follow this  
Mirakledba

Approach Hold Switch 737 causes me to drop too fast?

Hello!

I have an issues that I never used to have......Once im close to the runway and all straighten up with the run way, the pink diamond starts to move down, When that happens, I press approach hold and it keeps going low and makes me crash before the runway! When do i click approach hold?? When the pink diamond STARTS to move or once its in the middle? Please help!

This is for FSX, ILS landing.

The approach hold whatever its called is under the VOR LOC button (this is using the stock 737 ). It says APP on it

Ok when the pink diamond is in the middle, do I press the button? Cause when I do, it drops to early and I crash.

VOR LOC for the localizer and APP for the glideslope.  I don't think there's really an exact moment when you should press the APP button, but I usually engage it when the diamond begins to drop just a short distance before the FAF.  Intercept the glideslope from above.

Chris Sunseri

Yeah I click it when the diamond starts to drop but when I do so, The plane drops too early and I crash. So I should Click it when its in the middle?

Please help guys. This has never happened before to me....idk what im doing wrong. I would always click THE SECOND it starts to move and it would be perfect but now it just starts to drop the second I click it and goes down too early

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "Flight Simulator Tips and Tricks" to "MS FSX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

I normally hit the APP button when I  hear the correct ILS Morse Code Signal and confirm it with the readout in the display.  I then pick up the localizer and the autopilot stars my turn towards the runway.  Making sure my speed, flaps, and gear are set correctly for landing, Pink Diamond starts to drop and when it hits the middle the Altitude Hold lite goes out  since I'm below the Glideslope, I start my descent to the runway.  All of this should be happening about 8 miles from touchdown.  As I cross the landing threshold I kill the auto-throttle and autopilot and land the aircraft.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

correct ILS Morse Code Signal and confirm it with the readout in the display.

Could you kindly talk me through that? It'd be a learning curve for me. Thanks.

I usually check my map and click on the airport when ATC gives my ILS landing specific runway at about 55-65 miles out.  I verify the ILS frequency for the runway given and right next to it is the Identifier (Usually 4 letters).  When I tune this frequency on my Nav1 radio I also turn on the audio for that radio and also turn the audio on for Markers Beacons so you'll know when passing over the Outter, Middle, and Inner markers.

Usually about 28 miles out is when the Morse Code is going to be heard and in the 737 it will also be displayed along with DME, if provided.  Sorry, but I don't have a offsite storage for screenshots or I would provide some.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Arm APP/APR mode when ATC clears you for the approach.

If you're not using ATC, turn to a heading not more than 30 degrees off the final approach course for your intercept and arm it then. If you're doing a full procedure arm it when established inbound. For default planes be sure you're below the glide slope (the ball would be high on your PFD)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I usually check my map and click on the airport when ATC gives my ILS landing specific runway at about 55-65 miles out.  I verify the ILS frequency for the runway given and right next to it is the Identifier (Usually 4 letters).  When I tune this frequency on my Nav1 radio I also turn on the audio for that radio and also turn the audio on for Markers Beacons so you'll know when passing over the Outter, Middle, and Inner markers.

Usually about 28 miles out is when the Morse Code is going to be heard and in the 737 it will also be displayed along with DME, if provided.  Sorry, but I don't have a offsite storage for screenshots or I would provide some.

Thank you, charliearon. I guess I've got a grasp on what you have kindly detailed above, and should be able to figure it out from there.

I gave up using the FSX native ATC ages ago, and as there have been differing opinions on Radar Contact, VoxATC, et al, I now fly my approaches via my FMC and am familiar with the LOC/APP methods. It was the Morse Code bit that attracted my attention.

What is the morse code sound

When you pick up the Localizer (VOR) (ILS) Nav1 radio signal, if the audio for NAV1 is turned on you will hear the Identifier for that ILS frequency.  It is sent in Morse Code (Dots and Dashes)

Charlie Aron