Sign in to follow this  
GrizRod1

PMDG 777 Will Not Descend To Land On Auto Cruise

It's nice to have a few nitpickers on here to try and correct everyone, I'm impressed. :Big Grin:  Fortunately most members are quite helpful, if people knew what a pain in the &@($* FSX is PMDG probably would not sell any downloads. But with all the help on here and PMDG and a moderate amount of computer knowledge, PMDG 777 can be set up to run well eventually.

It's nice to have a few nitpickers on here to try and correct everyone, I'm impressed.

No need to get snarky about it.  It was a valid point: it's called auto cruise, and not auto-compression-for-all-stages-of-flight.  Just because it works in other phases doesn't mean it's supposed to be used that way.

Kyle Rodgers

Snarkey is as snarkey does, on the CDU  you set the AUTO TIME COMPRESSION  WHICH SETS THE AUTO CRUISE since you want to get technical. I BEG YOUR HUMBLE PARDON.

I forgot one more thing if you read page 81 of the PMDG 777 Tutorial 1, it says at the top of the page " Turn off the automatic time compression" not the Auto Cruise. Page 79 says " Continue the cruise either in real time or using Auto Cruise. So maybe someone should notify PMDG since they do not call the phase of the flight at the T/D properly, as being in Auto Cruise, instead of being in automatic time compression. What do you think?

Snarkey is as snarkey does

GrizRod1

Please sign your name to your posts per forum rules.

Thank you

Would you please copy that info from the signature requirements, I've read it three times and all I can find is that it is encouraged, maybe it's posted somewhere else. I see you are in Tampa, not a bad town. I'm be working on it.

Thanks,

Brian

For starters, PMDG don't compress time ... they accelerate it.    :P

I was just quoting the tutorial, and the terms they are using, anybody read the Boeing 777 manuals, this conversation can get even more technical, if anyone want's to read a few thousand pages. :huh: Technically Scandinavian is correct, I just thought he was splitting hairs.IMO I could sharp shoot his video over a minor thing, but I won't do that, it would just ###### him off, and what good would that do. He been a big help for a lot of people, but I've seen to many comments on here, not necessarily from this topic, that are not helpful at all. I had no idea FSX needed so many fixes to run PMDG 777, pretty much have all of them down now. When you are working night to try and get PMDG working you are bound to miss some miniscule details. Something that's forgotten sometimes. IMO

I wanted to mention it's like to land a helicopter on an ILS approach, no auto pilot, no trim, one half of a localizer, any of you know what I'm talking about? You are flying it every second, because if you let go of the controls the aircraft will be upside down in about five to ten seconds scanning  the instruments around and around at a much faster rate then fixed wing pilots, because you have fly it every second, monitoring altitude, vertical speed, airspeed, and heading, right or left of course, because that's the only needle you've got. The big advantage you had with Huey is that your speed is a lot slower then a 777, but they were primitive compared to the Black Hawk's that the US Army is flying today. But back in the day they were the best helicopter of it's time.

But I will admit this 777 sim is a blast to land ILS on auto-pilot. I think PDMG is right when they say this sim is the next best thing to a mult-million dollar simulator.

Sorry if I stepped on any toes. :unsure:

(...)

Sorry if I stepped on any toes. :unsure:

No worries. This kind of discussion is bothering for some, and entertaining for others. And once in a while I like to add fuel to the fire.   :P

I engage the auto-cruise(?) during descents now and then, and this feature hasn't shown any flaws to me yet. (It switches back to 1x more often during descents than during cruise, but that's expected behaviour.)

This is one thread where I was glad to be a bystander :lol:  Bit like accidentally walking into a woman's changing cubicle @ the local department store.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Technically Scandinavian is correct, I just thought he was splitting hairs.IMO I could sharp shoot his video over a minor thing, but I won't do that, it would just ###### him off, and what good would that do.

haha - unless I made some disclaimer on a point (which I have on a few: "don't nitpick this, I'm painting with a broad brush here," etc), it's good to get feedback on things.

I know for a fact that I've messed certain things up (referred to the 777 MCP when intending to refer to the 737 MCP, referred to "probability of extension" initially as something else, and several other things).  I usually do those videos without editing (I think the only one I edited was the Tutorial vid), so there are definitely trips and errors that end up in there.

So, by all means, let me know.  If it's the FMS/FMC/CDU thing, though, I honestly don't care anymore.

Kyle Rodgers

pcubine, thanks for the link, it says something about signing your full name to a post. . Then the info on setting up a signature looks to me like guidelines for an avatar saying a signature is not necessary, but encouraged, maybe you or someone can enlighten me. 

http://forum.avsim.net/page/AVSIM%20Pages/sig.html

Badfinger, that woman's cubicle comment is funny. :lol:

Olli4740, I noticed my AUTO CRUISE kicked off when my AUTO TIME COMPRESSION stopped by itself right before T/D. I wonder if that is normal.

pcubine, thanks for the link, it says something about signing your full name to a post. . Then the info on setting up a signature looks to me like guidelines for an avatar saying a signature is not necessary, but encouraged, maybe you or someone can enlighten me.

http://forum.avsim.n... Pages/sig.html

The full name signature requirement is specifically for the PMDG forums. 

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/361816-pmdg-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting/#entry2249319

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Scandinavian, I'm not going to nitpick your excellent video of the PMDG Tutorial 1 flight from Male to Dubai. I was just trying to make the point that most anything can have a error or two, if one wants to look hard enough, and is that comment going to be helpful.

Keep up the good work, I really liked your video.

a signature is not necessary, but encouraged, maybe you or someone can enlighten me.

Encouraged is an Avsim policy. Must is a PMDG policy per #1 in the link I gave you.

To have your signature automatically attached to your post do this. Left click on your user name in the upper right of this page. On the next page left click on Edit my Profile. On the next page left click on Signature and on the next page in the box under Edit Signature enter your full name and left click on Save Changes. Now your name will be on every post you make.