Sign in to follow this  
tyron2000

Poor FSX peformance?

I have recently upgraded my hardware to increase the performance of FSX with my addons.

2 weeks ago I changed my AMD Phenom II 1100t Black Edition 3.3MHz processor to an Intel i7 4770k processor and Over-clocked the processor from 3.5MHz to 4.4Mhz. The difference was amazing, but still if I use the PMDG 737 with UK2000 Gatwick Extreme, my frame rates drop to around 15FPS.

I used to have an NVidia GTX 480 Graphics Card, so I thought that may be throttling the performance, so today I purchased an NVidia GTX780 (MSI Over-clocked Edition) thinking that would solve the problem. But it hasn't really made any difference.

I have most of the settings on high, but not all maxed out, I have played with the settings and unless I start changing them down too much, the performance is not great using those 2 add-ons.

Now if I use the PMDG 737 anywhere else its fine, and if I use a standard FSX plane at Gatwick, its bearable (but not great).

I thought with the hardware I have recently purchased, I should get a smooth experience with both add-ons at relatively high settings.

My system stats are:

Asus Maximum VI Hero Motherboard

Intel i7 4770k (OC'd to 4.4Mhz)

Corsair H100i Water-cooler

8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3 Ram

MSI NVidia GTX 780 Over-clocked Edition

1000W PSU

4 x Corsair SP120 Static Pressure 120mm fans on Push/Pull on radiator

3 x Corsair AF120 Case fans

Corsair Carbide 540 Air Flow Cube Case

Which tweaks do you use in fsx.cfg?

With that setup, you need at the minimum an affinity mask entry, preferably with hyper threating turned off in bios and the highmemfix=1 entry.

If you tell us wich ones you have implemented we can get a better sence of how to help you.

My tweaks are:

highmemfix=1

AffinityMask=254 (as hyper threading on)

WideViewAspect=True

[bufferPools]
PoolSize=0
RejectThreshold=131072

How are your cpu temps?  Is it throttling due to overheating?

Excuse the pun but that system should fly,

Temps are sweet. I noticed a massive improvement from my old AMD processor, but since installing the GTX 780 today, its not really made any difference from my old GTX 480?

Temps are sweet. I noticed a massive improvement from my old AMD processor, but since installing the GTX 780 today, its not really made any difference from my old GTX 480?

Did you install a fresh copy of windows after the hardware upgrade?  Same for FSX?

if I use the PMDG 737 with UK2000 Gatwick Extreme, my frame rates drop to around 15FPS.

Lots of people have reported low fps at UK2000 Gatwick Extreme. Like their Heathrow Extreme scenery, recently updated to version 3 with a remarkable increase in fps, Gatwick needs some serious work.

As long as performance is as expected everywhere else, I wouldn't stress about the miserable frames you're getting with Gatwick Extreme. I seriously don't believe any amount of software or hardware tweaking will improve your experience with that scenery package.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

Did you install a fresh copy of windows after the hardware upgrade?  Same for FSX?

I would not think you need to re-install Windows every time you installed new hardware, so no. 

Same for FSX, I don't see how it would be necessary to re-instal FSX and Windows just because I updated to a new GPU.

I have obviously installed all necessary drivers for new hardware etc.

I have also deleted the old GPU from the FSX.cfg file so there are no conflicts etc.

Hi tyron 2000 my specs are alomst the same, these are my specs below and my system is running smoothly and got frames locked at 30 in fsx and getting good frames 25-30.

Vernon Howells

I would not think you need to re-install Windows every time you installed new hardware, so no. 

Same for FSX, I don't see how it would be necessary to re-instal FSX and Windows just because I updated to a new GPU.

I have obviously installed all necessary drivers for new hardware etc.

I have also deleted the old GPU from the FSX.cfg file so there are no conflicts etc.

I don't know but going from an AMD system to an Intel system would surely need a fresh install of windows.  Maybe not but I've not seen many new builds that would work right without it.  I would think there'd be all kinds of issues trying to shoehorn new hardware into an existing system.  The registry will have erroneous entries scattered throughout.  JMHO.

I don't know but going from an AMD system to an Intel system would surely need a fresh install of windows.  Maybe not but I've not seen many new builds that would work right without it.  I would think there'd be all kinds of issues trying to shoehorn new hardware into an existing system.  The registry will have erroneous entries scattered throughout.  JMHO.

I did do a fresh instal from the AMD to Intel, but not from the GTX 480 to GTX 780... might give it a go though and see what happens. Thanks

I did do a fresh instal from the AMD to Intel, but not from the GTX 480 to GTX 780... might give it a go though and see what happens. Thanks

Oh, sorry.

Oh, sorry.

No need to be sorry, my fault as should have stated that. Might still do a fresh install tomorrow though and see what happens. From what I have been reading i should get 30FPS on all settings maxed out... so maybe it is a registry issue or something.

with your system specs should blow out fsx.

First thing I would do, is start with a new cfg file, backup the old one and let the fsx make up a new one for you.

Do you have nivida inspector ? Do you have Steve's dx10 fixer their are a lot of variables, these are just a couple of suggestions that come to mind

Before re-installing be sure you have installed new drivers specific to the new video card, cleared the shaders cache and deleted the former device.driver entries from the fsx.cfg.

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals