Sign in to follow this  
alexduskthorn

Autoland question

Can someone please tell me if this sequence is correct for an autolanding? Once low and close enough to the G/S, click VOR lock then APP, after G/S capture engage both Autopilots, then thats it. 

Since I cant add my name in a signature until April 11th, I'll just put it here.

-Ben Angelo

Establish on LOC, then engage both autopilots immediately after arming APP works for me.

Ray Copper

Establish on LOC, then engage both autopilots immediately after arming APP works for me.

Ray Copper

What does it look like when  your established on the localizer?

Big green VOR/LOC at top centre of the ND

Is it normal for one of the autopilots to automatically switch off while the app stays on?

APP mode *then* 2nd autopilot.

You don't have to be on the LOC first.

You don't have to be at platform altitude.

Matt Cee

APP mode *then* 2nd autopilot.

You don't have to be on the LOC first.

You don't have to be at platform altitude.

I also did that. Still automatically switches off one, then a green light illuminates next to the F/O's course key.

I also did that. Still automatically switches off one, then a green light illuminates next to the F/O's course key.

You had APP mode, not VOR/LOC?

Try it one more time.

LOC identified both sides.

Intercept heading

Pointers in view

Cleared for approach

App mode armed

2nd a/p

Matt Cee

You had APP mode, not VOR/LOC?

Try it one more time.

LOC identified both sides.

Intercept heading

Pointers in view

Cleared for approach

App mode armed

2nd a/p

Will is land its self without me touching anything, or will I need to control the descent? BTW, am I supposed to get a yellow SINGLE CH where the CMD was?

Hi,

another little advice: Flight Crew Manual is your friends..good practice to study autoland guidelines in that manual...

Best Regard

Andrea

Will is land its self without me touching anything, or will I need to control the descent? BTW, am I supposed to get a yellow SINGLE CH where the CMD was?

As the name implies, yes autoland will land itself.

If you are flying a Fail Passive plane (almost all are) it will be single channel until the integrity check. Then it will go to flare armed. That's around 1500 feet.

Matt Cee

Make sure you have tuned the ILS frequency in BOTH nav radios, IE captain and FO side.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was curious about when exactly the crew is expected to be at full landing configuration (25 or 30 landing flaps/spoilers armed/gear down) in relation to the FAF during autolands. 

Is it policy to be at this config, and at VREF+5, before and at the OM/FAF when I intercept the glideslope from level flight?   Is this what you mean by "platform altitude"?   I know we have some leeway in visual approaches, or non autoland ILS approaches (CAT I), where one can intercept the glideslope as instructed by ATC without having to level off before hand (i.e. CDA).  From what I have figured out, it seems during ILS approaches in real bad weather with low visibility/ceilings, whether the pilot utilizes CAT I/II/III, it would be ideal to level off at the glideslope intercept altitude (about 2000ft AGL) a few miles ahead so that the crew can adequately prepare for slowing to final approach speed, which would be very difficult to accomplish while descending on the glideslope.

I remember hanging out at my cousin's house on Long Island NY one day, and he lived a few miles away from the OM for KJFK ILS 22L.   On this particular day, it sounded like traffic was flying lower than normal, as if they were level in the "platform" altitude.   He lived in a very affluent area, and I would think the neighbors would not be very tolerant of the noise, so ever since that day I have always associated bad weather approaches with a requirement to be low and slow much in advance relative to approaches in nicer weather. 

Hope this question makes sense.