Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

P3D v2.2 - Quick Impressions from a Developer's POV

Let me extend my thanks to Lockheed-Martin for the huge improvements in the ContentErrorLog reporting!

Because of that, I finally managed to track down that elusive error ") " because the expansion to include the following x number of characters pin-pointed the precise location of the error! :Big Grin: 

Previously, all I had was just

") "

Now I got this instead:

") 
  els{ (L:B737_Com1Stby_FRAC_TUNE,enum) }"

That made the error quickly 'searchable' since I had more to go on. :rofl: 

Oh, and the cloud shadows and fantastic improvements with Autogen are simply indescribable! :drinks:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

") "

This was almost like your white whale  :lol:

Glad you got it sorted.  :drinks:

Regards,

Brian Doney

This was almost like your white whale  :lol:

Glad you got it sorted.  :drinks:

Yes, it most certainly was! It was the last remaining "error" that FSX would simply ignore, making it unlikely to be noticed. 

In case anyone is wondering, the actual error was the missing 'curly-brace' that should have closed the previous if{ condition.

(L:B737_COM1_XferSwitch,bool) !
          if{ (L:B737_Com1_FRAC_TUNE,enum) }
          els{ (L:B737_Com1Stby_FRAC_TUNE,enum) }

In any case, I'm very much impressed by what I've seen and experienced thus far with the v2.2 'patch.' Now I'm able to "sanitize" all of my remaining projects with this handy tool!  :Nerd:

Fr. Bill    

Oh, and the cloud shadows and fantastic improvements with Autogen are simply indescribable!

What sorts of improvements to autogen will we see?

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

No worries Bill !

We'll have this section full of complaints by Monday afternoon, latest  :lol:

Regards,

Brian Doney

What sorts of improvements to autogen will we see?

Somewhere around a 17X decrease in VAS consumption, which translates to ~500MB decrease, no minor improvement!

Fr. Bill    

Somewhere around a 17X decrease in VAS consumption, which translates to ~500MB decrease, no minor improvement!

Do the autogen improvements extend to buildings or just trees like the developer blog said?

That is a question for which I have no authoritative answer. I would surmise though that since it wasn't mentioned specifically, no real changes have been made yet... :unsure:

Fr. Bill    

Ah, yes.  The performance improvement is amazing and I have heard Rob A mention that in some of his postings.  That should reduce OOM's. tremendously.  

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

My Impression is that P3D 2.1 handles buildings o.k. Never had an OOM when flying in Orbx NCA area of San Fancisco. And they  have some buildings there ...

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

In case anyone is wondering, the actual error was the missing 'curly-brace' that should have closed the previous if{ condition.

I highly recommend a 3rd party tool for Visual Studio call ReSharper (from JetBrains link: http://www.jetbrains.com/resharper/), is very powerful and will catch stuff like this very easily ... code cleanup option too and works with a bazillion different language constructs.

We'll have this section full of complaints by Monday afternoon, latest 

He he ... absolutely ... and I'll mysteriously disappear on vacation.

Glad to see 3rd party developers are enjoying working content for P3DV2.x ... it's so very important they embrace and really put their skills to work on this new environment and all it offers.  How long has it been since 3rd party developers were actually in a position to provide input and see a result?

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks, Rob. I'll give ReSharper a whirl and see how it fares here.

Fr. Bill    

He he ... absolutely ... and I'll mysteriously disappear on vacation.

They couldn't have made a better choice than you when pulling folks out of our community to pitch in.

I was extremely pleased to see that you'd be getting your hands dirty with the beta.

You can only do your part. Anything that might slip through is certainly not going to be on your head. I think you've demonstrated your merit in this regard time and again over the past few months; I only hope for your sake that it doesn't become more of a chore than a hobby.

In any case,  :drinks:

Regards,

Brian Doney

I only hope for your sake that it doesn't become more of a chore than a hobby.

Thank you sir, and that's why I'm not doing what Bill does ... I don't want to be "in it" (so to speak) all day (and night) ... I just kinda want to learn and enjoy it ... blind eye and all  :Peace:

And definitely Cheers,

Rob

And just wait until LM gets their hands on DX12... A 2x speed improvement!!!

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2