Probably wise.  it's probably not yet PC to say, but P3D is really making leaps and bounds.  In time, developers will turn their attention from FSX, aircraft addons that replace RXP will be integrated.  I was opting for the 770 because of both the price as well as the extra gig of video ram.

Gregg

I have the 770GTX 4gb and its more than enough for p3dv2 infact I hear from 780 users that at times all 3gb of vram is used. The 770 is a good middle of the road till the Titans come down in price

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

The NH-U14 looks like the model that's compatible with the motherboard. Am I missing something there?

Almost all coolers come with the relevant back plate for your motherboard. It's not a specific cooler for a specific motherboard. The Thermalright Archon SBE-X2 is a single tower cooler, without any issues regarding RAM clearance [but do check anyway] but still performs almost as well as a twin tower huge NH-D14. It's a good price as well.

I'm not much of an overclocker. They have Haswell where I'm buying the system and they're putting it together. I can ask if they have epoxy solder but not sure if they'll do that.

You don't understand.

Haswell has thermal interface paste under the IHS.

A CPU has a printed circuit board. On top of that the CPU itself is mounted. On top of that Haswell has TIM, a thermal interface paste, just like the paste you spread on top of your CPU when you mount a cooler. On top of that Intel mount the head spreader. This is how the Haswell, and Ivy Bridge CPU's are manufactured by Intel.

Ivy Bridge-E is different, in that Intel have reverted to the old method of attaching the heat spreader to the CPU die. Namely an epoxy solder. Epoxy solder is a better heat transfer medium than TIM.

This is nothing that's configurable by you CPU supplier, it's inherent in the design of the CPU.

Given that you won't be overclocking significantly, it's not an issue for you. It would be something you should consider if you felt that in time, you may find yourself getting into overclocking and pushing the CPU to a higher overclock.

Ok...so I made some changes based on everyone's advice (thank you!)...

• Noctua NH-D14
  • Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 DRAM 2400MHz C11 Memory
  • 2 Samsung 840 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III

I'm planning on using Windows 7 Pro in order to be able to go higher on the memory.  Is that the thinking these days?

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Make sure the D14 fits in your intended case... it's a big boy.

And that the RAM is low profile... or it won't fit under the D14. The standard Vengence Pro will probably not fit. vengeance low profile will.

This is what I use...

http://www.corsair.com/en/dominator-gt-1-5v-8gb-ddr3-memory-kit-with-dhx-pro-connector-and-airflow-2-fan-cmt8gx3m2b2133c9

The top fins are removable.

Windows 7 Pro
That's x64 right Gregg?

\Robert Hamlich/

Make sure the D14 fits in your intended case... it's a big boy.

And that the RAM is low profile... or it won't fit under the D14. The standard Vengence Pro will probably not fit. vengeance low profile will.

This is what I use...

http://www.corsair.c...mt8gx3m2b2133c9

The top fins are removable.

Yeah, good point.  I'll check to see if they fit.  I've seen some folks say that you can remove that plastic thingy they put on the memory pretty easily.  If not I'll be ordering what you got.

That's x64 right Gregg?

Yeah...64 bit  I've heard rumors that Microsoft will be doing DX12 for Windows 8 only...dunno if it's true.  But I thoroughly dislike messing with the Windows 8 interface.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

All the parts are in...in the process of putting it all together...ugh. 

Do you guys have an overclocking guide for a Gigabyte Z87 and the EVGA 770?  I have never overclocked before so I've got a pretty big learning curve with both.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

DDR3 DRAM 2400MHz C11 Memory

That memory timing is weak!

With 2400mhz you should be aiming for CL9.

Mine is 2400 9-11-11-32

I don't know if it is still available but I will go look.

I actually run it at CL8 when it is cold enough

But it takes big voltage to do that.

Back shortly

Here you go:http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231638

I don't know if there is a 2x8gig kit bit this is what you want!

I assume you are using the system for something other than FSX? Perhaps X-Plane 10 64bit?

If not then 16 GB of RAM won't make any difference to FSX over 8GB is overkill for that

I really think you should get a 780 too:-)

hat memory timing is weak!

With 2400mhz you should be aiming for CL9.

Mine is 2400 9-11-11-32

I don't know if it is still available but I will go look.

I actually run it at CL8 when it is cold enough

But it takes big voltage to do that.

Back shortly

Here you go:http://www.newegg.ca...N82E16820231638

I don't know if there is a 2x8gig kit bit this is what you want!

I assume you are using the system for something other than FSX? Perhaps X-Plane 10 64bit?

If not then 16 GB of RAM won't make any difference to FSX over 8GB

I really think you should get a 780 too:-)

I don't know anything about CL11...I was looking for higher Mhz.  Is this an important figure?

I went for the 770 because it had more RAM and it seems that the nVidea x70 cards have, historically, been bigger bang for the $$.  I guess I'll see.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

I don't know anything about CL11...I was looking for higher Mhz. Is this an important figure?

Yes it is important! With Memory you are looking for the best performance and must consider both speed and timing.

Simple put (it is in fact a complex calculation at least for me :lol: ) you are looking for the best combination of

High speed and low timing for the best performance. for example 2000mhz CL8 is probably better than

2400mhz CL11. The higher the MHz number the better and the lower the CL number the better

The kit that I link to is the Kit that NickN recommends in the Haswell @ 4.8ghz on air thread. That about 5 months ago.

If you can find 2400mhz CL8 that's even better but that 2400mhz CL11 Kit would be a mistake!

The kit that I link to is the Kit that NickN recommends in the Haswell @ 4.8ghz on air thread. That about 5 months ago.

If you can find 2400mhz CL8 that's even better but that 2400mhz CL11 Kit would be a mistake!

Do those red thingies come off?  I'd need a bit more clearance for my cooler.

Gregg Seipp

Yes they do. Click on the link again and scroll down and you will see the instructions for taking them off. But If you take them off you won't want to overclock that memory but you want need to either.

If you really want 16gb I think there is a 2x8 Kit or a 4x4 kit too. If you go the 4x4 kit it is probably a bad idea to buy 2 kits with 2x4. Those modules are usually cherry picked to go together. But you can always check with G-Skill Customer support.

I've ordered a 500GB SSD for my OS and everything non FSX and 250GB for all FSX related stuff, and it will be plenty.

I have ORBX Global, several ORBX regions, UTX, global mesh, hundreds of liveries for add on aircraft, 70+ payware airports, tens of GBs of UT2 liveries and my entire FSX related footprint is around 170GB.

I guess if you use lots of photo scenery ( I don't use any ) you may need to go bigger but I can't add my install surpassing 200GB ever.

But If you take them off you won't want to overclock that memory but you want need to either.

Unlikely to be the case. Super fancy RAM heat sinks are a gimmick. They make very little difference.

if you are basing your RAM selection on NickN's choice, do bear in mind that he uses the latest Thermalright Archon SBE-X2 that has no RAM clearance issues.

Regarding the GTX770... don't overclock it, there's little benefit from overcloking graphics cards, not really worth it.

Well, for now, I'm going ahead with what I got.  If the memory I have sucks I'll get the other.  I just spent 6 hours putting it all together...a LOT of stuff!  I looked down at the computer case and then up at Wanda, lounging back in her J. C. Penney red dress, one leg crossed, long and thin over the other,  a sultry sculpture.  I gave a little sneer...little smile.  She lit a cigarette, took a long draw then blew a stream of blue smoke out into fluorescent air. I leaned over and flicked the On switch.  Nothing happened.  Oh.  I grabbed the end of the power cord and jammed it into the socket.  The machine whirred to life, fans turning, a tiny blue LED glowing on the front.  Wanda leaned forward, flicked an ash into the tray, her eyes slowly closing and opening again.  I pushed my glasses up on my nose and dabbed at my my brow with a handkerchief.  The beast sat there immense and purring...waiting for me to put a CD in.  This is almost the exact opposite of what actually happened.

Gregg Seipp