Sign in to follow this  
Demious

What aircraft to choose

So far I've been flying only smaller aircrafts, mostly Carenado and I'm currently doing up experience with the c90B and B1900D, but I'm also looking to take the step up to a serious airliner.

I'm thinking about a Boeing 737, but I lack all knowledge about what addons are out there, what difficulty level which type of 737 is and if the addons are any good.

Could someone advise me so I can make the right choice for an addon that would fit me?

Is there any difficulty difference between for example a 737-300 and a 737-800? Or might I as well go for the 800/900 at once, instead of starting with a 300/400?

Which brand and model should I buy to make the most out of it, with P3D (currently I'm still running v1.4, but in the future I would like to upgrade and want to keep the aircraft I'm flying, of course)?

And of course the aircraft has to fly properly, but I would also like some eye-candy. I'm used to the Carenado Graphics and I was just looking at some Ariane models, but seeing the flat graphics on the screenshots was kind of a let-down... Then I'm more thinking of a PMDG quality addon.

Cheers!

Maarten

I have installed QW146, iFly 737 and Aerosoft 320 AXE. All of them work fine in my patched P3D2.1 - even the AS AXE which gave a lot of problems before the dll-patch. The AXE is now again my favourite aircraft.

So, the choice is yours.

Before in version 1.4 it was said that the AXE also gave some problems.

Jürgen Martens, DK7HN

When I started flightsimulation, I had a joystick(X52Pro) to fly with. But since I bought a yoke, I found out how awful it is to fly an aircraft with joystick. Especially flying a joystick with my left hand (I did try it and it simply doesnt work for me (Besides that, I've been searching for a serious left-handed joystick and couldnt find one)), is not my thing at all. So I'm gonna stick to a yoke, which pretty much rules out any airbus aircrafts.

The idea I had is to learn how to fly for real, so I'm not gonna mess around and drop everything I dont understand, like you see a lot of simulation pilots do on youtube,

I want to follow classes to learn the real thing. I've been googling around, but the only one I found so far that seems like a serious education for simmers, is Angle of Attack. So the aircraft I choose has to be one for which they offer a package. So the QW146 might be a nice aicraft for people who already know how to fly one, but it will be a lot of work for someone who has to learn everything fromt scratch. It's pretty damn hard to gather all information to learn the proper details for such an aircraft from youtube and forum posts, like I had to do before with smaller aircrafts. For example, I was able to find only one video on youtube which explains only part of the procedures for the CS737-200 and not according to the accompanied checklist, so it took me about a week to translate the information from the video, to line up with the checklist/manual... And for instance, for the Carenado B1900D, an aircraft so many people are highly enthusiastic about, I couldnt find anything at all!

So, for now, taking into account the options offered by Angel of Attack, my options would be 737, 747, 767, 777 and MD11.

If someone can point me to some serious classes for other aircrafts, I'll be happy to hear about it. Important for me is that those classes are accompanied by video tutorials, because of my dyslexia. Some reading, specially short pieces, isnt a problem for me, but studying from 400page books, with a badly detailed picture here and there (thinking about the pilot training manual for the C90B), isnt an option for me. Say an 80-100 page book, where all written explanations are also drawn out in high detail, might do, but that'll be about the limit...

I checked out the QW146 and iFly737, but both are FS2004/FSX only and in my experience, every aircraft needs support before you have everything working properly. Especially when it comes to programming the controllers. So for me it's important to be able to ask for support with the creators, meaning it needs to be an aircraft that is officially sold for P3D. If I wanted an FSX aircraft without support, I might as well use the PMDG, I already have. Only problem there is, like I mentioned, the programming of the controls, so I need support, which I cant get when using it on P3D...

Yeah, I know... The more I look into it, the more details I find to take into account... Hence my question here. :P

Cheers!

Maarten

PMDG NGX is a great aircraft, highly detailed, but, if you want to fly it properly, there are hundreds of pages of manual. I managed to fly it initially from youtube tutorials, before learning new things from the manual when I had time....

I checked out the QW146 and iFly737, but both are FS2004/FSX only and in my experience, every aircraft needs support before you have everything working properly. Especially when it comes to programming the controllers.

As I mentioned above, also the QW146 and the iFly737 are working perfectly in P3Dv2.2!

My QW146 was a pretty old FSX version but it gave no problems during installation and also when flying. There is an iFly737 version for P3D2.2 but not at the usual address for "entertainment" but at http://www.flight1tech.com/Products/AircraftSimulations/737NGforPrepar3D.aspx for "serious" simulations.

But again as mentioned the A320 Serosoft AXE is my favourite and works also without the slightest problems in version 2.2

PMDG NGX is a great aircraft, highly detailed, but, if you want to fly it properly, there are hundreds of pages of manual. I managed to fly it initially from youtube tutorials, before learning new things from the manual when I had time....

But does not (yet) work with P3D 2.x

Jürgen Martens, DK7HN

I purchased the ifly 737 for P3D2.2 and am totally dissatisfied with it.  My dissatisfaction resides in the fact that frame rates in VC mode lend the aircraft unusable.  Frame rates in VC mode are low teens to single digit while in 2D it jumps to the 40's.  Flying in VC mode is a must.

But does not (yet) work with P3D 2.x

Oh my, look where i am......this is unknown land to me...I've never been here before, or even know i was here when i posted.....

....ooops.....

....Just going to back away slowly and head home to the MSFSX forums.....

I purchased the ifly 737 for P3D2.2 and am totally dissatisfied with it.  My dissatisfaction resides in the fact that frame rates in VC mode lend the aircraft unusable.  Frame rates in VC mode are low teens to single digit while in 2D it jumps to the 40's.  Flying in VC mode is a must.

I hardly ever fly with VC and have my frame rates set to 30 fps. So I right now tested my 3 airliners at a busy and demanding airport (EDDH) by setting the frame rates to unlimited:

iFly 737 from 48 fps with 2D to 34 fps with VC

QW146          58                       42  

AXE               44                        40

These values may not be correct because I just switched  between these aircraft and not restarting P3D2.2 every time before changing them.

System: i7-3930K @ 3.2GHz, W7 64, 16GB RAM, Titan

Jürgen Martens, DK7HN

Interesting. 

At a LAX with photoscenery I get the following:

iFly 737  2D: 20fps  VC:  10fps

AXE       2D   27fps VC:  18fps

When at Seattle the system with iFly 737 goes to a crawl, single didgets.

i7 4820K @ 4.11GHZ OC, W8.1 64, 16GB RAM, R9 280X 3GB

Want a good compromise for a 737 and willing to wait a few more months, check out the Quality Wings 737 Classic series, it was originally developed by Enigma Simulations and then they merged and now its even better.

http://qwsim.com/index.php/737-overview

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

Thank you for the heads up.  If the frame rates are friendly, I'm all in.