Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Top 20 Countries Represented in Our Community

We recently did a recount of the population by country of our community membership. Here are the top twenty countries our members come from:

forum.avsim.net_2014-04-06_11-44-01.png

forum.avsim.net_2014-04-06_11-44-24.png

forum.avsim.net_2014-04-06_11-44-52.png

forum.avsim.net_2014-04-06_11-45-25.png

Interesting. Looks about right factoring in each country's population, demographic, social/economic culture.

Interesting. Looks about right factoring in each country's population, demographic, social/economic culture.

As a % of population, the figures are quite interesting

01. Netherlands
02. UK
03. Switzerland
04. Australia
05. Sweden
06. Canada
07. Belgium
08. Germany
09. USA
10. France
11. Italy
12. Poland
13. Spain
14. Ukraine
15. Russian Federation
16. Philippines
17. Brazil
18. Pakistan
19. India 
20. China

As a % of population, the figures are quite interesting

I always find Per Capita numbers more interesting. By population China, USA and India are always on top but Per Capita gives a better idea of how productive a nations citizens actually are.

For example, in the last summer Olympics Jamaica had the highest medal count when you break it down per capita and USA and China score quite low per capita. It shows how much harder each Jamaican athlete had to work to reach the podium with less people behind them to support them, which is quite an impressive feat.

Cheers

Matthew Kane

Any way to check the complete list? Just for curiosity... (Yes, I'd love to see the stats for both Colombia and Argentina)

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

English language proficiency is one factor for some countries in Asia. 

.............. As well as access to some of the "toys" or "entertainment" that many of us take for granted!

I'd like to see more 'English language proficiency' in here, let alone Asia.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

Hello Tom,

If you want to know something about potential custumers per country, then your given numbers are useful. If you want to know how great the interest in Flightsimulation is in percentage of the population numbers (so less commercial interest), then I suppose the Netherlands score is remarkable. This also is a fact when you talk about : biggest harbour, biggest airport, biggest airlines, greatest investors in the USA and not least : happyist people in the world etc.

Meanwhile you could gess that my nationality is Dutch.

All the best and please continue AVSIM as you do now.

Ben Rikken

The Dutch are the happiest people in the world? ..... By jove I know some right grumpy old Dutchmen! (and I call them friends :wink:).

I'd say the happiest nation in the world is Bhutan , an independent Himalayan kingdom.  Because they are the only country in the world who (formally, not as a joke!) measure GDH (Gross Domestic Happiness) in place of GDP.

Google it if you don't believe me. :smile:

As for the AVSIM stats, very interesting, both Tom's total numbers and the % of capita.  They're about where I'd expect them to be, except that there always seems to be loads of Canadians on here, yet looking at the stats, there aren't as many as it appears!

....maybe the Canadians are just getting a bit more extrovert these days, eh?    (Ducks!)   :lol:

The top three don't surprise me at all, these are the most active communities so far in most Flight Sim forums I've been on.

Avsim users as a % of population by region (based on the top 20)

Oceania - 1 Avsim user per 5,152 people

North America - 1 Avsim user per 8,884 people

Europe - 1 Avsim user per 11,033 people

South America - 1 Avsim user per 56,626 people

Asia - 1 Avsim user per 308,080 people

What can we learn from this?

It's a lonely old road in this wonderful hobby of ours, but us people in Oceania have a better chance of bumping into somebody in a "regional" pub who enjoys this hobby.

More locally, if you are in Canada you have a better chance than if you are in the USA.

Overall masters of the top 3 users as per Tom's post? Definitely the UK with 1 Avsim user per 4,621 people compared to figures for the US of 1 Avsim user per 9,412 people. In other words, you are twice as likely to meet somebody in a UK pub who has heard of Avsim. Besides, the beer is better !!

But the place for a beer to discuss Avsim? That has to be Holland and Amsterdam as the Dutch simply have too much spare time on their hands at 1 Avsim user per 3,426 people   :lol: :lol:

Oceania - 1 Avsim user per 5,152 people

And we should be the host of the next Avsim Conference...Give everyone an excuse to come to New Zealand.

:zeland-flag:

Matthew Kane

And we should be the host of the next Avsim Conference...Give everyone an excuse to come to New Zealand.

:zeland-flag:

Yeah .......... during the filming of Peter Jacksons "The Dambusters" !!

Welly or Blenheim? We can leave the significant others to spend up down on the water front or at the wineries...