Sign in to follow this  
Plumber525

Massive problem with FS2004

Hi everyone.

I have encountered a massive problem with FS which makes it completely unusable for me and I really hope someone reading this will have an answer and thank you all for taking the time to have a look anyhoo.

Basically whichever a/c I select to "fly now" the only control I have is the elevator. Throttles, ailerons and rudder act as if they are receiving hundreds of different inputs a second and are "fluttery". I've tried two controllers (Microsoft Sidewinder FFB2 and the Speedlink Black Widow) both with exactly the same issue so I'm deducing the problem's with FS2004...

I was running FS2004 with the add-ons: Air Hauler, Airline Pilot, the Just Flight Dash 8-300 pack and the ABACUS Airbus Fleet pack (though I have now uninstalled all of these in attempt to fix the problem); I'm running FS2004 with the 9.1 update (though it was doing this before I updated) in windows 7 Home Edition as an administrator (and in compatibility mode of XP (SP2)), and the latest FSUIPC version of 3.999z8 (again it was doing this before I updated). I previously had FS2004 in the X86/program files folder but after reading some posts (I've been to several forums looking for similar posts) I subsequently uninstalled and reinstalled FS2004 in a separate folder in the c: drive but again to no avail.

I'm now at my wits end, it could well be something very simple that I'm doing/not doing but as it was working perfectly well a few months ago (I've been away from sim'ing for a while) I can't understand it.

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

As an avid Windows XP and FS9 user myself and there are many others on this Forum; the first thing that comes to mind is NOT FS9, but firstly you should be running XP with SP3!

Not withstanding that MS ceases support for XP  with SP3 as from the 8th April, you should have been receiving a lot of notification from MS about their cease of support. Updates and patches for SP2 stopped some time ago - look at MS's own material on important dates, etc.

I have a new computer arriving on the 8th just for FS9 running on Windows 7, because of the need to have a broadband connection for weather and Vatsim, etc.

I am sure that others will be able to provide input on the technical aspects of FS9.

Regards

Sauviat

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

Thanks for the quick response Sauviat.

I'm using Windows 7 but with FS2004 running in compatibility mode for XP SP2 as it's the only one available in compatibility mode.

Cheers,

Steve.

FS9 runs fine in Win7 without the need for compatibility mode.

I would start by disabling that as it adds a huge load to system memory.

I also suspect you might have driver issues in compatibility mode.

FS9 has a key assignment to disable the joystick, Ctrl+K I think.

Try disabling the joystick while witnessing these "fluttery" movements and see if they stop.

Are you using the same USB port all the time? Try another one.

Have you backed up your FS9.cfg, deleted the working copy and let the sim build a new one?

Did you do a proper uninstall when you moved FS to the C:\ drive or did you just copy it over?

Did you reinstall those complex addons or just copy them over?

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Hi Joe,

Thanks for taking a look.

FS9 runs fine in Win7 without the need for compatibility mode.

I would start by disabling that as it adds a huge load to system memory

I'm sure you're right and i'll give it a go but FS2004 was working perfectly well in this mode some months ago.

FS9 has a key assignment to disable the joystick, Ctrl+K I think.

Try disabling the joystick while witnessing these "fluttery" movements and see if they stop.

I've just tried this and the controls respond correctly with keyboard inputs, though obviously this isn't anywhere near good enough to control flight.

Are you using the same USB port all the time? Try another one.

I'm using a different port on a USB hub, I'll try not using the USB hub and get back.

Have you backed up your FS9.cfg, deleted the working copy and let the sim build a new one?

Did you do a proper uninstall when you moved FS to the C:\ drive or did you just copy it over?

Did you reinstall those complex addons or just copy them over?

Not sure about the first bit I didn't back anything up just uninstall/reinstall, I uninstalled all the files and specified a new file in the c drive, I haven't yet reinstalled any of the add-on's.

Cheers,

Steve.

As an update I've tried using the controllers in a differnt USB port (as opposed to different ports in the USB hub) with exactly the same problems.

This is beginning to grip...

OK so I’ve solved the problem that should never have existed in the first place if I’d read the readme file in FS2004….

Basically I had a SimRaceWay wheel plugged into another USB port for use in F1 and even though I was selecting the flight controllers for use in FS2004 because the computer could see 2 controllers connected it was causing a confliction; disconnected the wheel and everything is good again.

Thanks to everyone who’s taken a look and offered advice; sorry to have wasted your time. :blush:

Steve.

We all learn from these oversights!

Take Care in your travels.

Regards

Sauviat

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.