Sign in to follow this  
abh_jc_03

basic processes?

I am wondering what the minimal processes are needed to run the computer and fsx.  I have active sky running and fsdreamteam airports.  I have unchecked all the scenery I don't use for the flight but when I am the airport just at the gate I get the beeping OOM sound.  I can't fly into FSdreamteam KLAX or out of because of the OOM.  I have my traffic and traffic turned down to 20%.  Roads, ships and boats down to 2%.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  FSX is using on average 2,200mb in the process window.  I know FSX can only use 4gb RAM so I need to cut down to minimal if possible.  Thanks.

I forgot to mention I use Megascenery 2.0 scenery.  I have about 7 states but only the ones I am flying from and over and then to are checked in scenery library.

Josh Scholl

Beeping sound???,, sounds more like you have a hardware issue. Download process explorer from microsft and monitor FSX. My VAS regulary goes above 3 gig without issues.

It is a chime when my textures start to turn to polygons and black. I have dx10 turned off. Textures are 4096. Will i notice a difference in the texture quality if i lower it?

Josh Scholl

Beeping sound???,, sounds more like you have a hardware issue.

Not necessarily, IIRC FSUIPC has a warning chime that starts when an OOM is imminent; also what the OP writes about the chime starting when textures start to be loaded only as black polygons indicates a correlation of the sound and OOMs.

IMO, you don't really notice too much a difference between 2048 or even 1024 and 4096 textures, and thesmaller ones are of course less likely to cause out of memory errors. Of course it may not be the completely same experience, but consider the following:

-) Ground textures are usually of only one resolution anyway, so there shouldn't be any difference there; the building textures should in most cases be so far away from your aircraft that this should not be a real problem either.

-) Cloud textures (which for me are the only textures where a difference is noticable) often do look a bit strange, read: overly sharpened, at 4096, and they can be really memory intensive

-) Obviously your system is not capable of handling KLAX and 4096 textures very well, so you don't really seem to have any chance than to reduce texture quality. I don't mean this to be rude or anything, in fact, it's just a thought that comes to my mind. Btw, there is the option to save different configuration options, so you could use a FSX.cfg that uses the lower res textures for flying into OOM-prone regions.

How do i go about making multiple configurations? My rex clouds are at 4096 so i would have to change those and then in my fsx.cfg file. Im worried that it is going to make things look less realistic but i also am tired of te oom.

Josh Scholl

This is what I notice when I changed my fsx.cfg to 2048.  Scenery looks all strange.  Runways not showing up, jetways sunk into the asphalt.

2014_4_6_19_24_53_791.jpg

Josh Scholl

How do i go about making multiple configurations?

I'm not at my simming computer, but it's somewhere in the menu bar. IIRC, there's a button that says "Save" in the options, which will rename the FSX.cfg. Anyway, if texture resolution is the only thing you need to adjust, you could simply enter 2048 as the value in the TextureMaxLoad editor (which I'm pretty sure you run, otherwise you'd always need to edit the TML line manually after making changes to the cfg file). As far as I am aware, it should not matter what resolution the REX textures are anyway, because either the TML entry or the texture resolution (whcihever value is lower) limits the displayed resolution of the respective texture.

This is what I notice when I changed my fsx.cfg to 2048. Scenery looks all strange.

Are you sure you didn't make any other changes to your FSX? I doubt that the above display problem is due to the reduced resolution, it rather looks like some overlapping photosceneries (wrong scenery library priorities perhaps?) to me, but I don't have KLAX, so I can't really tell. However, I had a similar-looking issue with KLAS, where I had the airport below some other sceneries that also cover that area.