Sign in to follow this  
clocki

Reverse thrust

Good evening,

I just recognized after I trained my landings that the reverser stops sometimes working. After landing I'm going with my Saitek Cyborg Evo Joystick in Idle and then applying with F2 the reverser. But after a few seconds it sometimes goes back to idle without moving something at the joystick thrust.

Is this is a problem with my joystick and how can I fix it? Of course with a Vref of 137 you don't really need a reverser on a dry 4000m RWY but it just annoys me :D

Greetings

Greetings Eddi :smile:

Hi,

Sounds like your controller.

Tech note: Thrust reverse is not about reducing stopping distance, but reducing brake wear.

In AUTOBRAKE modes except MAX, the decel rate, and thus stopping distance for a given weight and speed, will theoretically always be the same, so all reverse does is require the brakes to work less for a given rate.

AUTOBRAKE targets a specific deceleration rate, the details of which are in the manual.

I find AUTO 2 works well for most cases.

Best regards,

Robin.

Im not sure if this is your issue but I think you need to have the "repeater" next to the reverse thrust control  in fsx set to 100% so it keeps working 

ZORAN

Hi,

Sounds like your controller.

Tech note: Thrust reverse is not about reducing stopping distance, but reducing brake wear.

In AUTOBRAKE modes except MAX, the decel rate, and thus stopping distance for a given weight and speed, will theoretically always be the same, so all reverse does is require the brakes to work less for a given rate.

AUTOBRAKE targets a specific deceleration rate, the details of which are in the manual.

I find AUTO 2 works well for most cases.

Best regards,

Robin.

I thought I read something in the FCTM that said AUTO 3 is best for brake wear. Because, It makes sure there is one single application of the brakes. Instead of a fluctuation when you use AUTO 1 or AUTO 2. Makes sense, but maybe its just my imagination. Anybody care to chime in?

Doesn't make sense... harder braking is MORE likely to cause the brakes to release, because the wheel is more likely to slip on the pavement, requiring the ABS to release the brake to prevent wheel lock up.

That said, the decel rate with reverse thrust is probably close to that of AUTOBRAKE 2, which is probably why they suggest using AUTOBRAKE 3 instead, but that suggests a lot of reverse thrust...

The FCTM states:

* MAX AUTO: For minimum landing distance

* AUTO 3 or 4: For wet or slippery runways, or where landing distance is limited

* AUTO 1 or 2: Suitable for all routine operations.

Interesting that is also recommends use of max reverse, and not min/idle reverse.

EDIT: The manual states AUTOBRAKE 1 is prone to brake release with reverse thrust, and that AUTOBRAKE 2 or 3 should be used with reverse, as this will not release the brakes when using reverse thrust.

EDIT2: The manual states to apply reverse before nose gear touchdown, but for me (so far) this never worked - it's like the reversers are tied to a nose gear WOW switch.

Best regards,

Robin.

I thought I read something in the FCTM that said AUTO 3 is best for brake wear. Because, It makes sure there is one single application of the brakes. Instead of a fluctuation when you use AUTO 1 or AUTO 2. Makes sense, but maybe its just my imagination. Anybody care to chime in?

I think it's just your imagination (no offence) FCTM says:

MAX AUTO: Used when minimum stopping distance is required. Deceleration rate is less than that produced by full manual braking.

3 or 4: Should be used for wet or slippery runways or when landing rollout distance is limited.

1 or 2: These settings provide a moderate deceleration suitable for all routine operations.

It further says that reverse thrust reduces brake wear and emphasizes the importance of initiating it immediately after touchdown. Nothing about using setting 3 to reduce wear.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Don't take the FCOM as gospel...  It varies from company to company... QR for example often don't use any reverse thrust if conditions permit.  Most companies only want idle reverse unless absolutely necessary.

This stuff is really for bean counters to worry about, as flight crew your main concern is the landing performance calculation is correct.  In FS land none of this matters except perhaps looking after your brake temps.  Not a big deal considering the 777 turn times.  

btw 2 & 3 are the best settings for brake wear, have heard this mentioned quite a bit in the past.

Here's some more info -  (this is online)

All you need to know is: A/B 1--- nice and gentle for longggg runways
A/B 2---still fairly gentle for medium to long runways
A/B 3---comes in fairly quickly for normal length runways ( most commonly used setting for day to day ops )
A/B 4---comes in quickly and sometimes savagely, can cause a nose drop if you're not ready for it. used on short runways
A/B max--- never used it, but it would be a step up from 4 no doubt
A/B RTO--- never experienced it thank god ( apart from the sim ) Comes in rapidly and savagely and is hard to disconnect using the toe brakes ( actually I think it can't be using them as the pressure required is too high for lil ol me )

Rob Prest

Here's some more info - (this is online)

haha - the "savagely" references are kinda funny.

Kyle Rodgers