Sign in to follow this  
greggerm

Fedex MD-10 crash at KMEM today

Guest EIDUB

Hi,Just saw this on the news.http://www.wreg.com/Global/story.asp?S=1570084&nav=3HvDJl1zLooks like right landing gear collapsed. Check out the amateur video footage. Gusty conditions as well:KMEM 181830Z 31023G28KT 10SM BKN045 10/M01 A3009 RMK AO2 PK WND 32028/1829=Someone might not be getting there package this Christmas. Stephen B

Guest EIDUB

Hey Callum,Nice pics. Was it gusty?Are you a Scot by any chance? Just wondering after seeing your name.Regards,Stephen

Guest retard_retard_retard

Ye i'm from edinburgh. well spotted!Set it to real world weather for the time it happened....some gusts i think but i was lazy and came down fully fueled so i think that probably played a part.

Guest DanWalloch

Thats really not that bad for winds. I've taken up a 172 in 20 gusting 25 and didn't have any problems.

Yeah that weather isn`t really too bad.31023G28KT would be a fairly calm day in "windy Wellington" in NZ.Bad day at the office for those goys. Harsh.CheersLungs

Very impressive video.What scares me is, that there is only one rope in the cockpit for escaping. And as you can see with just one rope it takes quite a while till only 7 people are saved. This could be too long if the fire is heavier or if there er more than 7 in a plane.Wolfgang

Guest TerryT

Looks like two ropes, (one on each side) as the camera zoomed in on the second video. You noticed the crew was climbing out the "Left" side (away from the smoke and fire.Terry

I think the rope is only designed for the cockpit crew, not any passengers. Presumably, if the cabin was on fire or the crew's escape route to the doors was blocked, this was their "second" exit. The escape slide blew away in the wind, preventing all on board from going out that way... the rope became the secondary route. If the situation was that dire, I am sure the folks would have risked a broken leg and jumped out, but I guess they felt they had enough time to use the rope. -Greg