Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Real life route planner

PFPX isn't used in the RW but it's features are based off of real world flight planners

I use flightaware.com

While it isn't really planning, I grab real world airline specific flight plans from there.

Will PFPX give the waypoints etc along the route or will i have to find them and log them in?

Vernon Howells

Driver170,

Are you looking for a "real life route planner" that list all the waypoints in a route so you can individually enter them in PMDG NGX's FMC?  

In "real life" B737NG pilots would most likely load company-prepared flight plans into the FMC.  This reduces the likelihood of mistakes since there is less manual inputs.  In those cases where the route is entered manually, one does not have to individually enter each waypoints when there are terminal procedures or airways as part of the plan since the FMC allows entering a terminal procedure or an airway by its name.  Based on this, you can simulate the process by importing into the FMC a flight plan in PMDG format.  You can create this flight plan in a couple of  ways:  flight planner tools, or web sites.  We can add more details on either one of these approaches.  

One cool thing about flight simulator is that you can do things whichever way you want, even if not necessarily realistic.  For example, you can manually enter each route waypoint into the NGX FMC.  It is very likely PFPX, and others show all route waypoints, either in list or graphical format.  There are also web route sources that do, i.e., simroutes.com (when it's working), simbrief, and routefinder.  I'm sure there are others.  You can also use free tools such as vroute.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

SimBrief is great

Quite a lot of customization
print off and have your own paperwork in "courier lettering" like the real thing

And if you don't want to add ALLL the waypoints you can simply import it straight in!

A real life route planner akin to PFPX probably costs thousands of if not millions of dollars. You'd be paying up the wazoo to network your flight plan via a satellite system you don't have to a $200,000,000 plane you don't have either. Functionally, PFPX has all the same waypoints professional software might have if you update the nav database, it checks these routes against the same updated CMFU standards airlines do, it downloads the current NATs/NOTAMs, calculates ETOPS, and it simulates the network connection to the FMC (including weather uplink). Though a real life planner sounds good in concept, it would be useless for FSX .pln, .wx txt files, and crazy expensive. For a fair price, or even for free is you use freeware options, you can get very close to a professional (ie commercial grade) flight planner in FSX. It is also important to note that something like PFPX that calculates ETOPS or NATs would be total overkill for even a real life GA pilot. Sometimes a map, pencil, and paper can be professional enough. 

Could also sign up at eurofpl... They have an option for "hobbyist" on registration

Thankyou guys for all your responses i'm looking up all those links you sent. I decided to get PFPX and TopCat i'm using the 737 800 ngx pmdg and the weights are different from the fmc and pfpx does anyone have experience and knowledge of how to set both systems the same? I'm all new to this so haven't got a scoob lol

Vernon Howells