Sign in to follow this  
greggerm

Benefits/Drawbacks - Update-In-Place vs. Full Version Reinstall

Howdy,

With v2.2 on the horizon, I thought I'd ask for some opinions on the P3Dv2 update process. 

For those of you who upgraded v2.0 to v2.1 using the "patch" process (versus uninstalling everything and starting over with the new P3Dv2.1 installers), can you describe if you had any problems related to the process? I'm aware that you need to delete some working folders in the AppData and ProgramData areas per Lockheed Martin's recommendations, but I'm primarily concerned with what the process does to any configuration settings which were in place, scenery library entries, and how the process may affect 3rd party installations in general.

Right now, I do not have any version of P3D installed on my system - it's clear of all flightsims thanks to a weekend spent reloading and refreshing my entire OS and system. Considering I have the v2.1 full installer in-hand, I'm thinking I'd like to avoid downloading the entire set again just for v2.2.

Your stories of the process itself would be appreciated!

(This question is oriented more towards the process, not the actual fixes which an update may have contained.)

Thanks,

-Greg

Greg,

Of course I had to do a clean install with v2.0 -  I "patched" v2.1 and applied hot-fix, without a burp.....

IMHO, IF I had a fresh OS, and void of all Prepared3D, I WOULD wait a day or so and do a clean install of 2.2 - then you're sure of no corruption....

To me, it's worth a day or so of waiting...............

Tom

There should be no difference between a hot-fixed/patched Prepar3d 2.2 and a fresh install. Unless you have installed many add-ons and want to start with a "clean" simulator, I can't see the point.

As long as you delete (backup first if you wish, especially your dll.xml, exe.xml, scenery.cfg and terrain.cfg if you use lots of addons) all of your AppData and ProgramData folders, installing the patches shouldn't cause any problems.

Throughout the v2.2 beta I've followed this process and haven't had any problems.

My advice is to try the patch first, and if you think you have or are actually experiencing problems, then go the full uninstall-reinstall route.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

To be honest, I'm asking my questions not only for today but also for the future, should we be fortunate enough to see a v2.3 sometime down the line. Rob has been keeping us posted with his beta information using an in-place method which seems to work just fine, and he's got lots of addons.

As long as you delete (backup first if you wish, especially your dll.xml, exe.xml, scenery.cfg and terrain.cfg if you use lots of addons) all of your AppData and ProgramData folders, installing the patches shouldn't cause any problems.

That's the crux of my question - I'm primarily curious how addons are affected, if at all, by the deletions needed by the in-place upgrade process. Does it wipe out the scenery library or other settings, etc. etc.  We all know how deep Orbx sometimes likes to get when they install their items, so I'm wondering if everyone "plays nice", shall we say.

-Greg

That's the crux of my question - I'm primarily curious how addons are affected, if at all, by the deletions needed by the in-place upgrade process. Does it wipe out the scenery library or other settings, etc. etc. We all know how deep Orbx sometimes likes to get when they install their items, so I'm wondering if everyone "plays nice", shall we say.

If you delete all of your P3Dv2 AppData and ProgramData folders, you will wipe out your:

• All P3D Settings set through the in-game settings (i.e. Display and Control settings)
  • dll.xml which may affect addons and at a minimum stops FSUIPC from running
  • exe.xml which affects addons that run a seperate process automatically (i.e. UT2, EZCA, etc.)
  • Scenery Library
  • Simobjects cache (good to refresh anyways)
  • Shader cache (required to refresh for new version anyways)

That's why I mentioned to back up specific files such as:

AppData folder:

• dll.xml
  • exe.xml
  • controls.cfg (I think this is the correct file name)
  • prepar3d.cfg (if you have tweaks you want to remember and retry)

ProgramData folder:

• scenery.cfg

If you use Orbx scenery, you don't have to worry about wiping out your scenery.cfg because running FTX Central and applying a region sets it straight again. One of the great things about Orbx scenery is with the exception of FTX Global, which would require a reinstall, you can uninstall the sim of your choice and reinstall in the same location, and as long as you run FTX Central to set the region, you don't have to do a complete reinstall of your Orbx products. :)

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

THAT'S the information I was looking for. Thanks greatly!

Based on my expected usage, I probably would need to keep a full reinstall in mind for future updates as well.

I wish I wasn't so anal retentive about my installations. I'm never satisfied just uninstalling everything and re-installing.... I always feel the need to blow out my entire OS and start completely from scratch. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it though.

Thanks again,

-Greg

Maybe anal Greg but it *IS* the best way to insure a really clean base. And you could do an image backup of the OS and P3D for easy reinstall, if needed.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Glad to be of help Greg! :)

13.jpg