Sign in to follow this  
FlyGuy42

Predictive Windshear Alert

Now that we have weather radar integration into the PMDG 777, will we see predictive and reactive windshear alerts with Active Sky Next? As this feature is available using the X-Gauge installer, it would be nice if it could be integrated into the PMDG cockpit.

Regards.

I think it would not be a big deal, but haven't heard anything about it.

Would love it so much!

How do you use the X-gauge?  What's it do?  How do you open it?  How?  Why?  Where?  When?  I'M NOT READING THE MANUAL!!!!

I think it would not be a big deal, but haven't heard anything about it.

Would love it so much!

Predictive windshear might be fairly straightforward to add to the new WXR display using ASN data, assuming ASN produces it. Reactive windshear is another story. PMDG have stated previously that they don't simulate this currently, on the basis that FSX doesn't generate windshear. So any windshear that ASN provides won't generate a reactive warning due to aircraft acceleration in response.

Both would require further development to produce, I don't think either can be regarded as "not a big deal".

ki9cAAb.jpg

I believe the GPWS system test already includes the calls for wind shear.

I remember hearing that in the NGX the one time I tested that system. :P

I have heard the "BEE BOP WINDSHEAR WINDSHEAR" alert on final a few times. I believe the op is referring to the "WINDSHEAR AHEAD" alert.

I have heard the "BEE BOP WINDSHEAR WINDSHEAR" alert on final a few times. I believe the op is referring to the "WINDSHEAR AHEAD" alert.

You refer to ASN, don't you? In the PMDG 737/777 the windshear alert can be heard only during test.

James Goggi

Predictive appears to be possible to my untrained eye. The asn x gauge already draws the red hashes where the windshear is located and once you reach there, boom, increase in airspeed, then downdraft followed by a sharp decrease in airspeed.

I believe the GPWS system test already includes the calls for wind shear.

I remember hearing that in the NGX the one time I tested that system. :P

Yes test mode certainly works. But I recall a post from Ryan a while ago saying the detection algorithms were not in place because FSX couldn't produce a microburst. That might have changed or my memory might be wrong. No time to search for that post now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ki9cAAb.jpg

I was very dubious about Active sky's claims before the release of ASN. It actually does do a very good job of simulating microbursts and windshear.  You can also use the ASN debug tool to test out the effects.

Regards

Rob Prest

I absolutely hate talking out of my rear end, especially since PMDG and some of the more avid simmers here are so good at pointing out when someone is making stuff up, however I'm going to agree that the windshear ahead alert may require extra programming from PMDG to implement*.

*Again, let me re-iterate that this opinion is pulled out of my rear end, and PMDG reserves the right to shoot it down at their discretion.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

I absolutely hate talking out of my rear end, especially since PMDG and some of the more avid simmers here are so good at pointing out when someone is making stuff up, however I'm going to agree that the windshear ahead alert may require extra programming from PMDG to implement*.

*Again, let me re-iterate that this opinion is pulled out of my rear end, and PMDG reserves the right to shoot it down at their discretion.

Funny but true  :lol: