Sign in to follow this  
pilotleon106

Low FPS on ''high end system''

I bought xplane10 some time ago, it works great. But i am getting very low performance with my high end pc, i've got an I5 at 3.0 Ghz, 8 GB ram, 1 SSD just for windows and 1 HDD just for xplane and fsx.. I have the ASUS Radeon HD 7770 1GB graphics card, xplane 10 settings are very very low. I am having less FPS than FSX everything on max.. Please help!

These are my XP10 settings: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67066524/Naamloos.jpg

i am getting no more than 25 FPS at KSEA in the default BE58

Sorry, seriously not trying to give offense but from what you've listed your machine might not be as  a high end as you think, at least by today's standards.  What processor is your I5? I was unable to open your dropbox  settings so I'm not sure what you have your rendering options set to. Might be a simple case of expectation management as XP10 can bring the latest gear to it's knees. I run a Nvidia card so I'm not real big on the Radeon cards drivers but I believe there were some threads where they struggled a bit with some of the latest XP10 RC's so that might be compounding things as well. I'm sure once you list out your gear ( I find it helps to put it in your profile) others might be able to comment better on what you should be seeing frame rate wise (ball park) right now it's a little vague.

RE Thomason Jr.

I bought xplane10 some time ago, it works great. But i am getting very low performance with my high end pc, i've got an I5 at 3.0 Ghz, 8 GB ram, 1 SSD just for windows and 1 HDD just for xplane and fsx.. I have the ASUS Radeon HD 7770 1GB graphics card, xplane 10 settings are very very low. I am having less FPS than FSX everything on max.. Please help!

These are my XP10 settings: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67066524/Naamloos.jpg

i am getting no more than 25 FPS at KSEA in the default BE58

Thats not a high end system at all. Your video card and CPU are mediocre at best.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Yeah sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Strider is right.

You are correct though the processor is relatively new and it's single core performance isn't bad but your stuck with the 3.0 Ghz clock speed which isn't fast and your graphics card is dated too.  Sorry I can't tell you what you should be seeing frame rate wise in XP10 but it's not going to be anywhere near Max Sliders.

FSX is different it was much more CPU bound and no real benefit from hyper threading so that's why I am thinking that your seeing acceptable performance there but FSX also loves GHZ and it really doesn't start to shine until you get up past 4.4-4.6GHz so I'm a little surprised your happy with that Sim either.

RE Thomason Jr.

i've got an I5 4430 at 3ghz, it is very new on the market.. since half August i thougt.I hope it helps ;)

just because its new doesnt make it powerfull. a 2014 nissan van will never beat a 1990s mustang. 

The biggest issue is probably the video card.  I've got a powerful GTX570 (or it was for FSX) but the video ram is really low for XP and it makes performance choke.  Invest in a GTX660/760/770 with 2-4GB ram at least...

Make sure your power supply will support one of those cards.

Also what happens if you turn up anti aliasing AA and AF?  At least load your card up a little.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The biggest issue is probably the video card.  I've got a powerful GTX570 (or it was for FSX) but the video ram is really low for XP and it makes performance choke.  Invest in a GTX660/760/770 with 2-4GB ram at least...

Make sure your power supply will support one of those cards.

Also what happens if you turn up anti aliasing AA and AF?  At least load your card up a little.

I would recommend 4+ in video ram. I just check my video ram on Nvidia Inspector and to my suprise I was pushing 3.9 GB when XPX was telling me that I was using 1.5GB. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

When i turn that up, it doesn't make any difference, i've set in my graphics control center (catalyst) my AA down ty FPS did go up too 1, m around 40.. what is fantastic :D

Another thing worth mentioning here is that in FSX and P3d at times you can get away with FPS down in the teens while not fluid it can still be rendered smooth enough for the sim to be usable. (Many folks advocate not looking at the frame rate counter but just look for smoothness in those sims) However in XP it's critical to keep your FPS over 20 in order for the flight modeling to work properly. Things fall apart below that threshold and you can even get to the point of S-l-o-w motion taking affect. That's why when I set up XP I do it in a demanding environment both weather, airport, and aircraft then on the rendering page I select "set for maximum performance" and begin the process of increasing sliders until I get to the 25fps range then stop. I usually leave it there because I'm more of a "set it and forget it" kind of guy and it gives me the overhead needed.  Setting your rendering options with ideal conditions only to see them tank in game when encountering a demanding situation to me seems counter productive. If I only flew one or two airframes in vfr conditions my approach might be different.

RE Thomason Jr.