Sign in to follow this  
3-2-1-Now

Reverse Thrust Deployment

Hi,

Something I found is the (apparent) inability to select reverse thrust whilst the nose gear is still in the air. Does anyone else see this?

I'm going to do some test flights.

Best regards,

Robin.

Happens every flight but I figured the 777 waits till the nose touches to give reverse.

I think its oke. On all youtube video's i see they use reverse when nose wheel is off the ground.

Same on the MD11 for eng 1 and 2 number 3 waits for the nose wheel

I don't think I've ever needed reverse thrust ever in this model.  

You're not supposed to let the brakes take the brunt of all the breaking.

I've never seen a commercial flight not use reverse thrusters after touchdown, primarily for safety reasons.

Yeah it's now easier with SP1. There's a "Override in Flare" option now. I override to idle at 20 feet personally - stops floating if you over flare too. I can now get reverse thrust out asap with a key set to my throttle - before I had to wait until just after the nose gear touched down!! Hopefully SP1 fixes it for you too.

I've never seen a commercial flight not use reverse thrusters after touchdown, primarily for safety reasons.

Even at idle thrust, the engines produce some residual thrust.

Not using the reverse thrust is the equivalent of pressing both your break and accelerator in your car at the same time as you come up to a red traffic light to slow down and stop.

"Idle" reverse thrust is quite often used as a noise abatement procedure. Just crack the reverser mechanisms open, and leave the engines at idle. This reduces wear and heat on the breaks, and in a manner which isn't insignificant. Not only stopping the "Forward thrust" of the idling engines, but adding a tiny bit of drag from the reversed idle thrust.

The use of reverse thrust during flight is strictly prohibited because it leads to a stall while flying and while stalling the nose goes down, and so it might lead to a crash or a real hard landing.

It's a method of security added by PMDG.

Because the reverse thrust don't have enough power to gain the speed at which you can gain altitude: you'd go in a stall.

And even if they could, imagine the airplane going backwards. It means almost the whole flight again.

End.

EDIT: I read this in the manual of FlightFactor 777, which is the short form of the real manual boeing has wrote.

Even at idle thrust, the engines produce some residual thrust.

Not using the reverse thrust is the equivalent of pressing both your break and accelerator in your car at the same time as you come up to a red traffic light to slow down and stop.

"Idle" reverse thrust is quite often used as a noise abatement procedure. Just crack the reverser mechanisms open, and leave the engines at idle. This reduces wear and heat on the breaks, and in a manner which isn't insignificant. Not only stopping the "Forward thrust" of the idling engines, but adding a tiny bit of drag from the reversed idle thrust.

The guy I quoted said he never used reverse thrust.

I said that's abnormal, as in the reverser never opening on the engine itself during a landing.

I've never seen one live flight land without the reversers opening to let some kind of thrust help in breaking.

The guy I quoted said he never used reverse thrust.

I said that's abnormal, as in the reverser never opening on the engine itself during a landing.

I've never seen one live flight land without the reversers opening to let some kind of thrust help in breaking.

I mentioned in another topic that QR sometimes don't operate rev thrust on Landing into Doha.  At least when landing on 34

Rob Prest

I've been on a few flights where reverse is not used.  Two of them have been at KSFO in a 737.  Runway 28L is long enough for them to coast out with minimum braking until they need to turn off.

John

Oh I know that, I'm just saying I've never needed it to make a runway.  I just use idle reverse in this thing.  Seems to stop on a dime without heating the brakes.  Maybe once I work her in a bit more I'll get some maintenance issues with them but she's still brand new with only a few hundred hours on the .ini

Yeah it's now easier with SP1. There's a "Override in Flare" option now. I override to idle at 20 feet personally - stops floating if you over flare too. I can now get reverse thrust out asap with a key set to my throttle - before I had to wait until just after the nose gear touched down!! Hopefully SP1 fixes it for you too.

What is this?  A throttle override in flare?  I'm not following I don't think.