Sign in to follow this  
pastorpilot

Is it worth waiting for the soon coming Haswell "Refresh" chip?

I am about to pull the trigger on a computer build.  I'm not a tech guru by any stretch of the imagination.  Does anyone know enough about the coming Haswell "Refresh" chip in Q2 to tell me if it is worth waiting for it?  Like,  will there be an improved clock speed and does anyone know if they have changed the heat transference substance under the lid?  My guess is it's not going to be worth the wait ... and I am NOT waiting for the Broadwell at the end of the year.  I suppose it is all rumor mill ... but I haven't read anything conclusive ... Thanks for you thoughts and opinions.

It will be worth waiting for it they improve the tim like this source states, but you really will not know if it is improved until it is released.  This source also states "improved overclocking features", but until the CPU's are actually released no one will know how improved, if any, they actually are.

http://wccftech.com/intel-haswell-refresh-processors-codenamed-devils-canyon-launching-mid-2014-unlocked-design-improved-tim/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Wccftechcom+%28WCCFtech.com%29

Wow, so these are due out this month?

EDIT:  Oh...I see it's June or July.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I am about to pull the trigger on a computer build.  I'm not a tech guru by any stretch of the imagination.  Does anyone know enough about the coming Haswell "Refresh" chip in Q2 to tell me if it is worth waiting for it?  Like,  will there be an improved clock speed and does anyone know if they have changed the heat transference substance under the lid?  My guess is it's not going to be worth the wait ... and I am NOT waiting for the Broadwell at the end of the year.  I suppose it is all rumor mill ... but I haven't read anything conclusive ... Thanks for you thoughts and opinions.

I to am about to build a new system but I've decided to wait for the haswell refresh but that wait till allow me to watch out for sales on MOBO's and Ram which is the only thing I'm changing since my system is pretty strong as it is. But that will still cost almost $600

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

How much will an overclock from 4.5 to, say, 5.0 mean in terms of performance?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

How much will an overclock from 4.5 to, say, 5.0 mean in terms of performance?

Its a linear increase so if you got 5fps by going from 3.5ghz to 4 you should get 5 more fps by going to 4.5ghz and so on. At least that's how I understand it. I don't know how many fps you'd get per cpu speed increase was just using 5 as an example

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

You will get about 10% improvement. So if 15 now then 16.5, 20 now then 22 etc.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

If you are not in a rush, and you know how to overclock, I would certainly wait. They have supposedly fixed the heat issues and the base clock will be 100mhz higher.

Thanks, friends.  Great food for thought.  100 mhz is less of an issue to me, than the heat situation and no desire to have surgery done on a $300 chip.  

Anybody know what socket the new chip is going to fit?  1150...I hope?

Gregg Seipp

Great!  So, maybe it's a Christmas present. :rolleyes:

Gregg Seipp