Sign in to follow this  
SEGAR

Phenom strobe lights

Hello,

have a question about the strobe lights, are these correct modeled ?

see this clip :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRoMAQ59Brw

why is it not modeled in the sim like in the videoclip ?

Carenado said they could model it like that but the strobes do not flash simultaneous appearing to them on the real aircraft.

kind regards

Fabrice

Hi there,

I don't think the flashing light on the video is a strobe light, it looks more like a flashing nav light but the wrong color for that side of the aircraft.  At least it looks wrong on my monitor.  At any rate the light is not displaying the properties of a strobe light i.e. a flash of high energy light that has a duration of a few milliseconds.  So, IMO the Carenado modeled strobes are correct.

Hope that helps some.

Bill

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

That looks more like a pulse light system.

Landing/Recognition Light System: Pulse Light System.

To me, it looks like instead of strobes, these aircraft have LED anti-collision lights.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

To me, it looks like instead of strobes, these aircraft have LED anti-collision lights.

Good point. They probably are LED.  I didn't know they were using LED's for anti-collision lights but I looked it up and the Phenom does apparently have  them.  I don't know whether strobes are also available on the Phenom or not.  I would hope so, as the strobes are much more effective based upon what I am seeing in the two videos.

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

LED anticollision lights (strobes) are FAR more effective than traditional strobes. The B787 has them and the difference is clear when you see it among other airliners at night.

Many new aircraft (including the Phenom) are coming with LED's as standard now, as they're brighter and last longer.

LED anticollision lights (strobes) are FAR more effective than traditional strobes. The B787 has them and the difference is clear when you see it among other airliners at night.

Many new aircraft (including the Phenom) are coming with LED's as standard now, as they're brighter and last longer.

To me, it seems like we have come full circle with anti-collision lights.  I remember when anti-collision lights were flashing incandescent bulbs, either the navigation lights or clear lights were used.  Then came the strobes.  Now we have LED anti-collision light that blink on and off as well as LED navigation light systems.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

The flashing lights in the videos do not appear to be emitting high energy short duration blasts of light consistent with the properties of strobe lights.  But, ok, you win.  They must be strobes.  Pretty wimpy looking though. :unsure:

To me, it seems like we have come full circle with anti-collision lights.  I remember when anti-collision lights were flashing incandescent bulbs, either the navigation lights or clear lights were used.  Then came the strobes.  Now we have LED anti-collision light that blink on and off as well as LED navigation light systems.

Hi Stans,

I think you are correct.  Apparently we have come full circle.  I remember the old rotating beacons which consisted of a mirror rotating around an incandescent bulb.  Then Cessna came out with what they called "Omni Flash" beacons.  They were just what you describe, a bulb mounted on the tail with a red lens that slowly blinked on and off.  They were not as effective as the rotating beacons though.  Then came strobes which changed everything.  Now, if the subject videos are representative of the present state of anti-collision lights, we are back to blinking lights. 

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

They must be strobes. Pretty wimpy looking though.

All strobes look wimpy under bright sunlight.

Compare this (skip to 01:00 minute mark):

to this (skip to 02:00 minute mark):

I've seen the LED's side by side with traditional strobes (both on airliners, as well as the Phenom). There is no contest between them. You can see the LED's very clearly from much further away.

Are the two videos that the OP referenced the "more effective" LED strobes that you are referring to?  Or are they something different?

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Ok, I guess "strobe" doesn't mean what it used to.  Times are changing.  Thank you for the lesson.

Bill in Colorado:

Retired