Sign in to follow this  
atlflyer

FSX or Xplane? Please help!

So here is my dilemma….I have a  pretty powerful computer and have been looking at p3d 2.1 for a bit now but the price is  high and its very buggy. I have been an x-plane user since v10 came out and while I enjoy it immensely, it just feels like I am alone in the skies and on ATC. I was thinking of coming back to FSX with the following addons:

ORBX Global

REX Texture Direct

REX Essentials

PROATC for FSX

WorldofAI

A few addon airports such as KSAN and KSFO to start.

Carenado 1900 and phenom

Airbus extended

My question is, with my system, would it be worth it??? System specs below:

I7 3930K at 4.0

16 GB ram

GTX TITAN OC’ed

Sabertooth x79

What are your thoughts? Would I need to run all the old school FSX tweaks again? I remember there were TONS of config tweaks, etc…..

My opinion/thought would be wait and see what P3d V2.2 brings to the table as well as XP10 V10.30.

However there's nothing stopping you from going back to FSX.  I have all three platforms running on my machine. If you already have the add on's you listed all you need is disc space and the time and effort it does take to install and configure.

Contrary to what appears to be a popular belief amongst simmers you don't have to pledge allegiance to any one in particular but, it does make life a bit simpler B)

RE Thomason Jr.

The fact that you've already got XP10 makes this a lot easier.

Start slow.  FSX is dirt cheap these days.  You'll need a weather engine and at least one aircraft.   Fly for a while, see if you like it.  Add weather textures and an airport.  I think after flying over standard FSX for a while you'll appreciate the other addons more when you get them.

As for tweaking, it's not as bad as it sounds.  I used to tweak a lot, then eventually settled on Word Not Allowed's tweaks (no longer on Avsim) and haven't touched my config file since.  There are only a few tweaks you'll really need unless you really want to push things.

Prepar3D has a new version 2.2 coming out shortly.  Wait until we see how much is fixed and how much is still broken.  You can subscribe to the developer's version at $9.95 per month to test the waters.  You could also get a refund, but you can only do that once and you might want to reserve that option for now.  I'd recommend getting a weather engine that has a P3D compatible version so you don't have to re-purchase it if/when you decide to go that route.  If it were me, I'd make sure any addons I purchased were P3D compatible as well, for the same reason.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

wow so the dev version is just 9.95 to test the wates? Can I add on the REX Direct and any compatible addons for P3D or is it limited to what you can do?  

I LOVE x-plane as far as sloped runways, hdr, turbulence effects, etc...it just doesnt have all the great feel of actually flying over a real city that I miss so much. 

Your system can easily handle FSX with those add-ons (provided your OS is 64bit.)

I'd say wait on P3D, more stuff should be compatible with it in a couple years, right now it's FSX without a GUI and with glitches on some add-ons.

Since your complaint with XP is 'Langoliers Syndrome' P3D doesn't seem all that worthwhile a return on investment if you retained your FSX disks.

Well I just saw that 2.2 was released today for P3D but it looks like the dev version doesnt allow for simming. Is this true? 

im just torn because p3d 2.2 looks great and I did have my reservations with FSW but a few addon airports, orbx global, and REX texture direct with a good engine seems the way to go. I still have my FSX disks and if I recall I still have the REX essentials with overdrive. So my purchases would be minimal. Maybe 150 to get up and running again. 

Would I need to run all those tweaks again to the config file? If so, is there a program that automatically does the tweaks based on your system? I seem to remember one out there that did that.

Also, could someone please tell me if the dev version of P3D does allow for the full program experience because their website says it does not.,

As far as I know, the only difference between the developer's version and a full version is that you pay for it month to month, and you can install it on two machines.  If you're worried if you qualify for a developer's license, if you've ever tweaked an aircraft config file, then test flown your changes, you're a developer.  Some may disagree.  The reason to go with the $9.95 version is to "test the waters" without a large outlay of cash;  you'd be upgrading soon enough if only to save money in the long run.

The automated tweaking tool may or may not still be online, but it's optimized for older hardware.  I tried it, didn't much like it, but I had newer hardware at the time. 

Looks like 2.2 is already released.  Wait for a few reviews before making any decisions.

Hook

Larry Hookins

based on the graph on the p3d site on licensing options, It doesnt list "simulation" as a green check mark so before I purchase the dev option can anyone confirm that you can use the program and all addons that are compatible with the dev version of the software? 

Professional License
$199.99 Academic License
$59.95 Developer License
$9.95/Month Professional License
$2300.00 Developer License
$19.95/Month Training check.jpg     check.jpg   Instruction check.jpg     check.jpg   Learning check.jpg     check.jpg   Simulation check.jpg     check.jpg   Graduate Student
Training, Instruction
Simulation, Learning check.jpg     check.jpg   Undergraduate Student
Training, Instruction
Simulation, Learning   check.jpg       K-12 Student
Training, Instruction
Simulation, Learning   check.jpg       K-12 After School
Programs   check.jpg       Software
Development     check.jpg   check.jpg Personal Consumer
Entertainment redx.jpgredx.jpgredx.jpgredx.jpgredx.jpg

If it bothers you, go with one of the other versions.

Hook

Larry Hookins

I think if the dev version supports addons I will give it a shot.  

what about delivery options? Is it boxed or can I download p3d? 

The dev version supports add ons.  It is the same as the other academic and pro versions in terms of functionality.  I have FSX, P3D, and XP10 on my system.  P3D with the new version (2.2) has better visuals and better performance than FSX.  More third party products are converting to be P3D compliant.  I would give it a try and see how it works for you and you have the refund option.  You also have the refund option with the academic and pro versions as well.  

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I myself was looking into P3D, but with no convincing assurance from anyone that it is by faaaaar  better than FSX, including all current add-ons, then why bother? To me , it would honestly be useless- Sorry. But, reading endless hundreds of posts regarding P3D Vs FSX there doesn't seem to be a clear reason (or reasons) to go with P3D. So, my conclusion to all FSX Vs P3D is simple... No need to move to P3D; FSX is much better currently (this considering all the add-ons available for FSX). Maybe, in 2 years time it may be an almost must to move to P3D- Not now!

I just downloaded v2.2 and it blew me away.  The difference is extremely convincing in terms of performance, smoothness, robustness of the feature set, and knowing that it will get even better with the upcoming version 2.3.  I have supported FSX since day one and am still a big fan, but good grief, P3D is just killing FSX.  But hey, whatever people like is fine with me.  It is great that we flight simmers have choices and FSX has lots of add-ons and excellent qualities.  To each his/her own.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

P3D 2.2 is the bomb. No more OOMs even at insane settings. Developers have been posting about how great it is too. Once you see those cloud and ground shadows, you'll never look back.

P3D 2.2 is the bomb. No more OOMs even at insane settings. Developers have been posting about how great it is too. Once you see those cloud and ground shadows, you'll never look back.

So, I hear about no more OOMs, now ground and cloud shadows. What about performance (fps) with using high end addons ?