Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Kane

Homeless Pilots

I have been boarding pilots that work for one of our regional airlines for a while now. I will offer a free room to these guys (and gals) who are currently employed with the local regional airline and not at the first officer level yet. Reason being is the pay is extremely poor and a lot of the pilots are moved away from home as their FOB moves around. Gives them a chance to not sleep in a van, a good night sleep in a good bed, a quiet place to study with WiFi access.

The current guy staying with us is currently working on his checkout for the Dash 8. Been great company this past week and he has been sitting in the jump seat on some pretty awesome routes around New Zealand, and got to sit on the right seat for the first time yesterday (under supervision). He is welcome to use my Flight Sim as well but they never do when they have access to the multi-million dollar Flight Simulator facility up in Auckland. How I would love to have access to that facility (seen pictures of it).

When these guys get the promotion to the First Officer is when I give them the boot. At that point they make enough money to make it on their own. Wondering if anyone else supports these guys as well. Makes for great conversations when you get home at night sharing Aviation stories.

Cheers

Matthew Kane

You're saving lives, be proud.

That has come to mind as well....Nothing like a good night sleep as it will save lives.

Matthew Kane

Yes, you're doing a nice deed, and will get some good friends out of it to boot.

You never quite know what fate might bring you later on when one of these guys becomes a Senior Training Captain and invites you to try that R/L full-motion simulator. A good deed done.