Sign in to follow this  
OmniAtlas

TF-X flying car

It would be cool, I guess. But these things seem to have been dreamt about forever, and somehow they never seem to arrive.

I suspect you would need a society with ubiquitous, nearly human level AI (and a revolution in cheap power) to make a world of common consumer flight even remotely conceivable.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I sit here looking out my window with power lines and trees in the way...

With the cost of fuel I don't think many will be doing it.  Maybe if there's some  propulsion (alien) technology that is discovered or perhaps created that uses a lot less energy.

I think GA activity has declined, I suspect because of cost of fuel, insurance, maintenance etc..  O, for some light reading...

http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/72392/ICAT%20REPORT%20SHETTY.pdf

see page 41 for fuel use

Edited by bic

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Just imagine, getting a drivers license could cost almost as much as getting a PPL   :lol:

I'm in love with the concept of a flying car.  Been wanting one as long as I can remember.

Making a car fly or an airplane roadable isn't impossible.  We already have several examples.

Controlling a few thousand of these in a cubic mile of sky all converging onto a single point... well, that's going to take some doing.  Then try doing it in turbulent gusty air and heavy fog.  We have no real problems doing this with land vehicles, but aircraft can't stack up and wait the way cars can.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Flying car, the polticians would tax it, each time it landed on fortgage road, and police would ticket flying over their speed traps by having hovercraft ready for such violations. DOT and FAA could clash over rules

This company already has a flying car in production. This is their next vehicle.

It will be automated in flight so this will probably be regulated.

We came up with the highway; perhaps this could be the next logical step.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

The Flying Car is probably the longest running concept in the history of manufacturing that never gets off the ground. People have been talking about this since the silent film Metropolis was released in 1927, here we are almost 90 years later and still talking about it. 

The concepts are never really a flying car but more like an aircraft with folding wings and not something you would ever want to park at your local mall or grocery store, some idiot backs into it and their goes its airworthiness. 

This TF-X has a lot of moving propellers that you would have a hard time getting permission to operate outside of an airport. But another great concept in a long line of concepts.

I think the Ford Flivver was the first concept for a flying car built by Henry Ford's R&D team back in 1927:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Flivver

Matthew Kane

I think the idea was to have the TF-X only operate at permissible landing/take off pads; you would use the vehicle to drive to your launch pad, input your destination, and the autopilot does the rest.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering