Sign in to follow this  
pilot3012

should i get Prepar3d or should i get a fsx add-on

I have a feeling that many PMDG users will migrate to P3D once the PMDG product(s) of their choice are made available in P3D.  The P3D platform is solid now, has more features than FSX, performs noticeably better, and will be receiving new features like SLI in the future.  I am kind of on the opposite side of the fence as I will be getting a PMDG product as soon as it is available on P3D as I find it more difficult to fly in due to being spoiled by the performance and visuals in P3D.

Being one of those waiting on PMDG, I can confirm your "feeling"...I am going to migrate the instance PMDG makes their 737 and T7 available for P3D.

I am not keen on spending a fortune on addons that I already have, just so that I can migrate to P3D.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

need help i want one or the other i have been watching prepar3d for sometime now and lots of people say its fsx with higher frames but i also am thinking of getting tacpack or FSpassengers for my fsx my computer specs are intel core 7 (3.5 ghz), graphics Nvidia geforce 765m with 2 gb GDDR5, ram 16GB,  :smile:

You will be dissapointed using a 765m GPU. Not enough horsepower.

Thanks SpoonerFLIGHT.

Had a look at some videos on Youtube about the iFly...it really seems to look and "feel" different than the PMDG. Have you had both versions and compared them?

the pmdg 737 is also fully compatible with P3D but needs the migration tool for installation.  The youtube videos on the ifly are old, the new Ifly version for P3D 2.2 looks equal to PMDG almost and the windows open too :lol:  I own the fs9, fsx, P3D 1.4 and P3D 2.2 Ifly 737ng.  There was a special coupon offer for previous owners of a low price of $29.99 a year ago.  I own the PMDG also but fly the IFLY more.

Being one of those waiting on PMDG, I can confirm your "feeling"...I am going to migrate the instance PMDG makes their 737 and T7 available for P3D.

the pmdg 737 is also fully compatible with P3D but needs the migration tool for installation.

I am not keen on spending a fortune on addons that I already have, just so that I can migrate to P3D.

I would not be keen on that either.  From what I understand a lot of companies like Rex, Orbx Carenado, and others include the P3D version of the product for free or for a reasonable upgrade fee.  What companies are requiring the consumer to purchase an entirely new and separate P3D license?

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Neither am I Christopher, but luckily most of them install and run OK using the Estonia Migrator tool.

There are always going to be a few that won't run but that was the same moving over from FS9 to FSX.

I "migrated" from FU3 to FSX, so there were no addons to start with :smile:

I guess my best option would be to purchase P3D (the Academic License......for obvious reasons), and then test all of my addons with it. The question is......do I need to bother? FSX is providing enough enjoyment for me at the moment, so it would seem a bit pointless to "upgrade" simply for the sake of it. I would love to be able to experience the new shadows and fog and stuff, but it just feels like yet more work and effort required. I have done enough of that with FSX over the past few years....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I would love to be able to experience the new shadows and fog and stuff, but it just feels like yet more work and effort required. I have done enough of that with FSX over the past few years....

I totally understand the sentiment related to all of the work and effort required.  Truth be told, with FSX, I eventually stopped simming because it required so much technical knowledge and work to get it to even function properly.

The good news with P3D is much of the work and effort has been already done by the early adopters in partnership with LM.  The early adopters got in and exposed all of the warts and issues inherent with the new platform.  LM responded in a manner that we have not seen before, and now with version 2.2, the platform is solid. It still requires some refinements here and there, but this is fine tuning that LM will address.  

The major stuff has been solved.  The performance is simply better than FSX and it comes with an enhanced feature set that is not included with FSX (volumetric clouds and fog, cloud shadows, way better default ground textures and autogen, tessellation, other DX11 goodies, and future features that will continue to advance the platform.).  

Bottom line with P3D is the user does not have to do the work that was required to get FSX to operate like it should have.  Less fiddling and more flying.  Whatever platform we choose, however, I do hope it brings enjoyment to the user.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations