Sign in to follow this  
jonss1948

My New Tangent. I'm Totally Hooked.

Hello,

I've had X Plane 10 for around 8 months but because I did not have a payware aircraft to fly within it, I neglected it until now. I wasn't paying attention. This X Plane is a marvellous product. My default scenery has never looked better and the level of graphical control is first class. My next payware purchases are going to be concentrated in this Sim (for all you developers chained to the stone age). I have a question: Does Hyperthreading On achieve any advantage within X-Plane 10?

Jon

X-Plane will use all your cores and is multi-threaded by default. The more cores the better :-)

@OP: No. FPS will be the same at best, probably lower with HT enabled. X-Plane uses mainly two cores during flight...

Flo

No. FPS will be the same at best, probably lower with HT enabled. X-Plane uses mainly two cores during flight...

I'm pretty sure it uses more than two cores i.e. Whilst multicore won't improve framerate, X-Plane will use all the cores for doing things like loading scenery in the background, flight model, AI traffic. 

http://developer.x-plane.com/2010/08/multicore-and-version-10/

@OP: No. FPS will be the same at best, probably lower with HT enabled. X-Plane uses mainly two cores during flight...

Flo

I finally found the setting in bios and enabled it.  Little difference. I was hoping X-Plane was written to access multiple cores. However, I'm very impressed with the program. With  HDR turned off and many graphics settings above normal, this non clocked system is maintaining 35fps in the highest density area in X-Plane (purportedly KSEA). This, in the default Cessna vc. Thanks for your reply. Now, back to the future.

Jon

I'm pretty sure it uses more than two cores i.e. Whilst multicore won't improve framerate, X-Plane will use all the cores for doing things like loading scenery in the background, flight model, AI traffic. 

http://developer.x-plane.com/2010/08/multicore-and-version-10/

Thanks for that link. It explains it very well. I probably purchased X Plane for the wrong reason, which was to support a developer writing 64 bit code for my favourite pastime. Sure, I intended to load it and use it occasionally but I had not realised how excellent X Plane is visually. HDR Toning sure gives the fps a whump but with it turned off I'm still stoked. I was chuffed when I had 'birdstrike' a little earlier. Nice touch.

Jon