Sign in to follow this  
vonmar

CIVA INS Position updating?

I currently have one INS unit/CDU/ADEU/UpdateFlags, installed.

Can the one ADEU unit be used once to load 9 flight plan waypoints (.AWC file) and then used again to load 9 VORs for updating (.ADC files)?

Or, for example, do I possibly have to have two INS units ... one for the flight plan and one for the PI VOR updating?

I do not want flight plan waypoints overwritten during flight when I am DME updating.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Only need one unit. When you select the file to load by mouse wheeling over the ADEU "slot", if it is a .awc file it will load navigation waypoints and if it is a .adc file it will load VOR/DME co-ordinates.

I don't reacall any need to put the INS unit in DME mode (right click 7&9 keys) before using the ADEU to load VOR co-ordinates, but if you do a test before takeoff you will find out.

Peter Schluter

Peter,

Thanks a'lot for the information.

Have a good day.

Best Regards,

Vaughan

If you have not seen it already do a library search for "conv2adeu" 

It is program that will made ADEU files from a FS9 .pln file

Peter Schluter

Peter,

Thanks.

It was in the library and I just downloaded it.

I will install it and give it a use today.

Best Regards,

If you havn't figured it out already the best way to use the conv2adeu is to set it to "leave waypoint 9 empty from card 2 onwards"

Then when you are flying from waypoint 8 to 9 on the first card, change the INS to fly from 0 (present position) to 9.  Then you can load card 2 (which has only 8 waypoints)

Then when you are flying from 7 to 8  on card 2, manually enter the co-ordinates for 8 into waypoint 9 and change the INS to fly from 0 to 9. Then you can load card 3

Peter Schluter

Peter,

Ok, thanks for the instructions/explanations/procedure for using conv2adeu program.

Best Regards,

There's no need to make any adjustments to your INS units if you're using the ADEU card reader. It will 'install' both the waypoints and DME updates. Assuming that you have created them first by using conv2adeu or similar.

Another upload method for in-flight uploading is to make wypt 1 on each successive file the same as wypt 9 on the previous. This may seem a bit pedantic but it was a method used in reality. It's in effect an insurance that the INS won't deviate unexpectedly from its present course.

BTW unless the a/c you're flying did actually only have one INS unit you should install two and for some a/c like Concorde and the 747 three.

There are two on the VC10. As I load each ADEU card I switch from one to the other to confirm that it is navigating correctly. Then for the final part / to landing phase of the flight I navigate using the second unit thus freeing up nav1.

Also on the 10 the autopilot has a separate NAV switch. So my INS is hardwired to that as it should be, leaving the HDG switch to turn onto selected headings. Obviously when the INS is disconnected or off of course!

Hello Voloiberista,

Thanks for the additional information.

I have 1 INS Unit in the TinMouseII 737 now.

I would not know where to put the second INS MSU and the second ADEU uint in the existing panel.

I am using the TinMouseII wide panels that came with their Version 1.4 Updates for FS9 and FSX.

Best Regards,

Hello Voloiberista,

Thanks for the additional information.

I have 1 INS Unit in the TinMouseII 737 now.

I would not know where to put the second INS MSU and the second ADEU uint in the existing panel.

I am using the TinMouseII wide panels that came with their Version 1.4 Updates for FS9 and FSX.

You could make your own pop-up panel activated by an icon (i.e toggle window) and put them there.

The choice is yours Vaughan, but the TM732 works fine with a single INS.

Peter Schluter

Voloiberista,
"You could make your own pop-up panel activated by an icon (i.e toggle window) and put them there."

Ok, I may give that a try on another day.

Paul,

"The choice is yours Vaughan, but the TM732 works fine with a single INS."

True, the TinMouseII example panels come with the single INS configuration and it has worked well  so far.

Best Regards,

Voloiberista,

"You could make your own pop-up panel activated by an icon (i.e toggle window) and put them there."

Ok, I may give that a try on another day.

Paul,

"The choice is yours Vaughan, but the TM732 works fine with a single INS."

True, the TinMouseII example panels come with the single INS configuration and it has worked well  so far.

Bear in mind that the CIVA INS does come with 'faults'. That is it models precisely the errors produced by the real INS. If you only have one then there is the risk that you would loose navigation in mid flight.

Voloiberista,

"Bear in mind that the CIVA INS does come with 'faults'. That is it models precisely the errors produced by the real INS. If you only have one then there is the risk that you would loose navigation in mid flight."

I did not know that ..  so it is very important to know about the possible in flight INS faults.

What type of fault?

Would it render the only INS Unit completely inoperable?

If I had a dual INS would the fault affect the INS#2?

Would INS #2 , in that case, be able to continue the flight?

Best Regards,

Well, the fault lists are pretty much the same for each sim model because the CIVA INS was written and distributed by Gianfranco Corrias and Marco Ravanello. It's the best free add-on for the sim. With the download comes a comprehensive manuel (in fact more through that the manuel for the original). with the manuel comes a list of error codes and it is quite extensive.

Yes, you can continue navigating if one unit is down. But, if one unit is down on the ground it's a no go from the aircraft flight manuel point of view.

Look through their forum and you'll see just how complex the add-on is.

http://www.simufly.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl