Sign in to follow this  

I am considering upgrading my GTX680 for a GTX780. I believe this is currently the card to have for FSX running an i7 4770k over clocked lightly. It is the only item from my previous PC that was not upgraded when I built a new machine.

Given that this card is not cheap, is this a sensible upgrade and will it produce a noticeable improvement in FSX? I would love to hear from others that may have upgraded this way and those running the GTX780 in general.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I'll be watching the responses, but would be most surprised if that investment would be deemed to be money well spent.. the 680 is a great card for FSX..

Bert

What got me wondering was a comment by Nick N where he mentioned that the GTX780 was the ideal partner for an overclocked i7 4770K CPU, eliminating bottlenecks between CPU and GPU, something that no other hardware combo has achieved in FSX.

But does that equate to a noticeably better experience than the GTX680 can provide, or is it theoretical numbers.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

What got me wondering was a comment by Nick N where he mentioned that the GTX780 was the ideal partner for an overclocked i7 4770K CPU, eliminating bottlenecks between CPU and GPU, something that no other hardware combo has achieved in FSX.

But does that equate to a noticeably better experience than the GTX680 can provide, or is it theoretical numbers.

Greg, I too cannot see you getting much advantage with a 780 with your present setup.

You would be better to use the money to get your overclock up to near 5GHz and upgrade to some higher speed memory. The 780 would be an option after that.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Agree with the other posters.  The upgrade you are considering won't do much for FSX.  It would be better to try to overclock your cpu, unless you play other games that might be able to take advantage of an upgraded gpu.  

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I was also wondering about memory... I have 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory running at 8-9-8-24 at the moment using the XMP profile. I know the timings are pretty good but going to 16GB 2400Mhz with timings of 10-12-12-31might be better? I know FSX wont really benefit from the extra 8GB but would this be a good upgrade path for memory?

GregH

I was also wondering about memory... I have 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory running at 8-9-8-24 at the moment using the XMP profile. I know the timings are pretty good but going to 16GB 2400Mhz with timings of 10-12-12-31might be better? I know FSX wont really benefit from the extra 8GB but would this be a good upgrade path for memory?

Have a read of the later pages of the FSMark11 thread to see how memory improves things.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/329116-fsxmark11/

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.