Sign in to follow this  
ap1

FSX Flight Planner and GPS

I would like to be able to use the FSX flight planner and GPS for VFR and IFR flights.  How will I be able to do this?  I usually fly with the skyhawk and Boeing 737 all default aircraft.  Thank you.

Well basically you start with a direct flight plan (line between departure airport and destination), then go to the edit view and drag / click to add points (Navaids) along the route.

I think there's other automated sites that will do this too.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ok how do I know what waypoints to add on the route whether it be VFR or IFR?

It helps if you know where you want to go - and have maps to look at..

Bert

Hi Bert I'll look at charts too, but I still don't really get it.  I don't really know what waypoints such as VORs or intersections to use.  Couldn't you just select high altitude airways in FSX in the Flight Planner?  Or is it better to hit direct and then just add the waypoints after you click find route? 

If you are flying an airliner, high altitude airways make a lot of sense - if you are flying a GA aircraft, VOR to VOR is the traditional navigation technique... but nowadays, the GPS gives you new options.   Remember that a VOR is only reliable up to about 50-60 nm away..

Bert

Also, if you're trying an airliner, you can use simbrief [simbrief.com] and input all of the valid data including a flight plan if you wish. In return it will give you multiple options for how you can download the flight plan [including the default, of course!] and gives a detailed run-down of the route and provides accurate flight time, fuel planning, all based on the weather at the origin and destination [should you wish to use RW weather].

Try it out, I love it and I use it for my more complex addons too.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll try them out.

And do not forget to set the navigation to "GPS" as opposed to "NAV".  Some planes have a toggle switch, some have a rotary switch and some have a button.The "NAV" will try to follow a navigation beacon that is set with the nav frequency buttons."GPS" will follow the flight plan. When you approach the destination, if you want to use the autopilot, you have to switch back to "NAV" (as well as setting the ILS frequency and the runway heading), and eventually the "APPR" button to intercept the glideslope.

If you have problems, state here which specific plane you are using and someone will happily walk you through a whole flight.

Henri

Henri Arsenault