Sign in to follow this  
Capt Speirs

Thinking of abandoning the PMDG 737 NGX

I really like flying the NGX, I just can't put up with the constant Porpoising/Bobbing in AP climb with head wind anymore. I understand from searches that there is no fix, anyone?

oops, wrong forum.

I really like flying the NGX, I just can't put up with the constant Porpoising/Bobbing in AP climb with head wind anymore. I understand from searches that there is no fix, anyone?

oops, wrong forum.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

oops, wrong forum.

Have you considered the possibility that this behaviour might be realistic? Real autopilots aren't perfect and will also be disturbed by atmospheric changes. Sometimes I find switching to VS mode in the latter stages of a climb helps smooth things out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ki9cAAb.jpg

After PMDG 737 NGX, is there anything else to fly ?

Son, you will put yourself together, and fly that thing. period !

Regis

Regis Biassala 

Sounds more like a weather add-on issue than an issue with the plane, honestly.  That's what the case is most of the time, anyway.  Try flying it without weather to see how it does.

Kyle Rodgers

I don't fly it much (more of a GA flyer) but, I don't remember ever having that problem.  Seems to fly quite nicely. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I fly on AP all the time, have no weather add-ons and don't experience that problem...so I don't think its the plane itself but rather something in your configuration and/or setup.

However, if you're mind is made up, what plane are you going to move to? The PMDG 777?

Hmm...you should give FSUIPC a go. What weather addon are you using?

Tried my registered copy of FSUIPC, no change. OpusFSX

Have you considered the possibility that this behaviour might be realistic? Real autopilots aren't perfect and will also be disturbed by atmospheric changes. Sometimes I find switching to VS mode in the latter stages of a climb helps smooth things out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will have to make a video, if this were real, we would need lots of "Airsickness Bags". I have done some research and this is not isolated, PMDG even mentions it in their manual to turn off air turbulence. I got the NGX for realism, not to play god with the weather so it fly's right.

This video (not mine) is actually mild, it gets much worse.

Try out ASN  ^_^ Had the problems with REX, though not big enough to be an issue, it was still annoying though. 

I will have to make a video, if this were real, we would need lots of "Airsickness Bags". I have done some research and this is not isolated, PMDG even mentions it in their manual to turn off air turbulence. I got the NGX for realism, not to play god with the weather so it fly's right.

PMDG don't have a turbulence problem, at least no more than any other FSX addon developer. PMDG recommend turning off FSX turbulence because it is modelled in a very strange way. I have turbulence enabled as it happens and don't find any problems with it, as long as I don't use FSX weather. FSX weather is really the cause of the problem and using any addon weather engine will improve things dramatically.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Indeed, like mrtk said you should try get Active Sky Next. I use it and I've never had this kind of problem with it... ASN turbulence seems to be just fine with PMDG 737NGX too. 

Regards

Joona L

Nope, never experienced that porpoising effect...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Sounds more like a weather add-on issue than an issue with the plane, honestly.  That's what the case is most of the time, anyway.  Try flying it without weather to see how it does.

I fly on AP all the time, have no weather add-ons and don't experience that problem...so I don't think its the plane itself but rather something in your configuration and/or setup.

However, if you're mind is made up, what plane are you going to move to? The PMDG 777?

PMDG don't have a turbulence problem, at least no more than any other FSX addon developer. PMDG recommend turning off FSX turbulence because it is modelled in a very strange way. I have turbulence enabled as it happens and don't find any problems with it, as long as I don't use FSX weather. FSX weather is really the cause of the problem and using any addon weather engine will improve things dramatically.

Nope, never experienced that porpoising effect...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/360143-nose-pitching-up-and-down-durring-climbdescent/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/373903-bobbing-up-and-down-during-vnav-descent/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/345462-porpoising-during-climb/

opus has head movement effects and such built in,  and turbulence  looks like that to me I use it and love it

try flying without opus and see if it does it with stock weather