Sign in to follow this  
lewismorrison22

Need to confirm somthing

Hi, I just needed your guy's help on somthing.

I know how to figure out the current active runway(s) fomr the metar and everything but I'm unsure of one thing, say your arriving at EGLL, and the current runways in use are 27L/R, how do i know which one is being used for departures and which one is used for arrivals? I would like to know this for every airport please :)

-Lewis

Not sure about other airports, but last week at Munich (EDDM) I got the impression that departures/arrivals there seem to be assigned in such way that the taxi distance between gate and RWY and the other way round is minimal. Might be the same at EGLL, which has a similar layout IIRC (terminal buildings in the middle and runways both left and right of the terminal), but then again, noise abatement might be more of an issue in London than in Munich.

Hi, I just needed your guy's help on somthing.

I know how to figure out the current active runway(s) fomr the metar and everything but I'm unsure of one thing, say your arriving at EGLL, and the current runways in use are 27L/R, how do i know which one is being used for departures and which one is used for arrivals? I would like to know this for every airport please :)

-Lewis

I assume you dont fly online (VATSIM / IVAO), as in that case you would get the details from ATC.

Alternatively, you could download Vatspy and maybe you will be in luck and have some ATC there. Right click on the ATIS and there it should show what runway is in use for departure and arrival.

In the real world Heathrow swaps take-off and landing runways daily at 1500, and also weekly, to spread the noise nuisance around fairly. Except for 0600-0700 when the USA and other long haul aircraft arrive in a bunch to land as soon as the airport opens.

There's a full program for runway usage throughout 2014 here:

http://www.heathrowairport.com/static/Heathrow_Noise/Downloads/PDF/runway_alternation_programme_2014.pdf

Eugene

Just follow the tweet Heathrow Noise (@HeathrowNoise) and you'll have updated info

23.png

There's a little app that can tell you. I think its available on the Vatsim UK website