Sign in to follow this  
BrianG

RA Duke V2 Vs. Milvis Baron 55

Hi All,

For those who have both AC, would you consider the RealAir Duke V2 an upgrade from the Milvis Baron 55? I bought the Baron a week ago and I'm very impressed. Graphics and FDE are just great. Very fun to hand fly as well.

I've heard so many great things about the Duke V2 and would love to have it if there's a noticeable advantage in terms of FDE, graphic, systems, etc......over the Baron. I just don't want to spend $75 ( for both) and have two AC that are pretty much the same in those criteria mentioned. I still have time to swap out the Baron ( F1 wrapper) and for an extra $15 have the Duke V2.

All thoughts and experience are welcome of course. Thanks so much.

Cheers,

Brian-

I have them both, and enjoy them both.

The RealAir (not Aerosoft) Duke, V2, is about as authentic as it gets, and while the MilViz guys do really good FDE models, there is just something about flying the Duke. 

For what it's worth (I am not a real pilot), I also find the Duke layout and operation more intuitive. 

And perhaps what may be the best thing about the Duke is that RealAir offers a twofer, where you get both the piston-powered and turbine-powered versions.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Thanks John- I'm one step closer to buying the Duke.

Sausalito, CA here. We're practically neighbors.

Cheers,

Brian

I don't have the Baron (I do have the Milviz 310R and Duke).   Both Milviz and Realair make fantastic stuff.  The Duke 2.0 is a newer release so it features newer goodies such as cockpit vibrations.  If you also own the great RealAir Legacy, the Duke 2.0 has the same visual/auditory goodies in it.  Realair also has Turbine Duke v2 in the works, which is a real rocketship.

Howdy from Napa ;)

Cheers

TJ

edit....Milviz has some fantastic stuff in the pipeline too such as King Air 350, Mu-2, F-4 Phantom...etc  Personally I am really looking forward to the Mu.  Imagine the Mu-2 and T-Duke v2 in the same hangar  :wub:

And I'm in Sunnyvale. LOL. Both are excellent addons. The Duke is turbocharged so you have much higher ceiling and pressurized cabin. RealAir also has more sound and visual effects. On the other hand the Milviz comes with a very nice set of training missions and the documentation is excellent. I think it comes down to which type of plane you like better. If you decide to swap for the Duke, I'd keep an eye open for Milviz sales, so you can own both.  :lol:

Barry Friedman

I have both and enjoy both.  John mentions the cockpit layout - be aware that a B55 is, well, a B55 featuring a panel that's a bit chaotic with gauges and switches that get hidden behind the massive double yoke (which can be hidden, but still).  There's also the strange Beech layout of PP-TT-MM.  Kinda like flying a DC3.  I love it, but it is what it is.  These are not issues from the Milviz implementation, they're simply what an older Baron is like.  The Duke, on the other hand, has one of the most nicely laid out cockpits you'll find, and it lends itself very well to being one of the most useable VC's around.

Where the Duke really shines, though, is in all the fine details.  Exceptional lighting (a bit of a weak point on the Baron, especially at dusk and dawn), perfect and simple RXP integration if you have them, wonderful and complex sound sequences and their "RealView" vibration options for things like realistic startup shake, landing gear retraction thumps, touchdown and taxi effects and so on.  The flight model is superb and the plane is just all in all about as good as piston GA gets.

With no disrespect to Milviz or the Baron, the v2 Duke is the best piston plane in my GA fleet and has become by far my favorite plane to fly.

And I'm in Sunnyvale. LOL. Both are excellent addons. The Duke is turbocharged so you have much higher ceiling and pressurized cabin. RealAir also has more sound and visual effects. On the other hand the Milviz comes with a very nice set of training missions and the documentation is excellent. I think it comes down to which type of plane you like better. If you decide to swap for the Duke, I'd keep an eye open for Milviz sales, so you can own both.  :lol:

Barry, I'm not positive, but I don't think the Baron or 310 missions are available any more.  I bought the Baron day 1, have the Baron version and have enjoyed them but had almost forgotten about them.  They're great, especially for the non-RW pilot simmer who wants to learn all there is on proper procedures, single-engine practice and so on, and even came with an upgraded bit of scenery for the Las Cruces, NM airport.

Scott

I would say go Real Air Duke 2.0, fantastic aircraft!

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

From the other end of the country, I have to agree with what 'westerners' have said about the Duke.  In truth, if anyone asked me what twin engine to buy (not just between the two you mention) I'd tell them the Duke.  I do own both.  They're both excellent renditions of real world airplanes. But the Duke is just more elegant of a RW airplane.  When you throw in all the little things that the RealAir guys did to it to make it more real, it's pretty amazing.

BTW, I'm a bit of a nutjob about the Turbine Duke...I've flown mine so much it's going to need new paint soon.  I'm very much looking forward to 2.0 and hoping that they integrate the Mindstar GNS's.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Great stuff guys- just the type of info I was looking for in helping my decision making. Looks like I must go for the Duke. One last question- how's performance on the Duke vs. Baron ?  Getting 20-30 fps (locked at 30) in Orbyx PNW, some weather, 50% AI ( away from KSEA), sliders almost maxed.

Cheers,

Brian

Great stuff guys- just they type of info I was looking for in helping my decision making. Looks like I must go for the Duke. One last question- how's performance on the Duke vs. Baron ? Getting 20-30 fps (locked at 30) in Orbyx PNW, some weather, 50% AI ( away from KSEA), sliders almost maxed.

Tough to say without knowing something about your PC.  I can say it's a bit tougher on frames than most but not bad. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

edit....Milviz has some fantastic stuff in the pipeline too such as King Air 350, Mu-2, F-4 Phantom...etc  Personally I am really looking forward to the Mu.  Imagine the Mu-2 and T-Duke v2 in the same hangar  :wub:

Don't forget the P180 Avanti II  :wub:

Tough to say without knowing something about your PC. I can say it's a bit tougher on frames than most but not bad.

CPU- I7 870  2.9ghz

Video Card- AMD 6800 series (1gb)

2x4 Ram

750w PSU

Windows 7 64 bit

Don't forget the P180 Avanti II 

+1 on this one! Although given the recent screenshots and the amount of work that obviously goes into a MilViz aircraft, that may be a 2015 offering.

With no disrespect to Milviz or the Baron, the v2 Duke is the best piston plane in my GA fleet and has become by far my favorite plane to fly.

100% agree, although I think my favorite remains the Legacy, especially after installing the Arezone sound pack - now it sounds more like a hot-rod!

That being said, I remember the first time I flew the MilViz Baron, and my immediate impression was "made from billet". Just such a solid ... model!

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

CPU- I7 870  2.9ghz

Video Card- AMD 6800 series (1gb)

2x4 Ram

750w PSU

Windows 7 64 bit

those system specs are not too bad, the 2.9Ghz CPU clock speed is not entirely desirable and Overclocking Intel CPU's correctly can be a bit more of a hassle depending upon archetype. However that being said there is not much "glass" in the Duke B60 v2, most of the gauges are "steam" gauges so that will help frame rates out. Think of the Duke B60 v2 as a Carenado visual quality with RealAir's realistic FDE's and a complete custom sound and effects package to boot! Your system with appropriate tweaks to the FSX.cfg should render decent enough frames within many areas outside of massive airports and large cities.

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg