Sign in to follow this  
mrlip

CPU high temps (i5 3570k)

Hi all. I am hoping for some guidance regarding temps on cpu. My 3570k on stock heatsink and cooler (I think,bought the system pre built) seems to be running hot. Using hw monitor, at idle it reads around 35c across all cores. During fsx use this gets up to mid 80s even touching 90s. If I run prime 95 when at stock speeds after about 2-3 minutes the temps hit high 90s which is the throttling temp for this cpu. Obviously with those temps an overclock is pointless as it will hit throttling temps pretty quick. The cpu fan is running at full speed 2000rpm.

Whats goin on here? Surely temps should be better even on stocks. My gpu (gtx 670) runs cool at mid 20's to 30's so I dont think it is a tower ventilation issue.

Edit:forgot to mention, the temps I am looking at in hw monitor are the core temp 0 core temp 1 etc which I believe are the right ones

I have the 4670k - just checking my idle temps, I'm sitting at 26-28C - so not too much different than you.  But mine doesn't get above 70C unless I massively overclock (say to 4.5GHz, vs the 4.4GHz I run as stable).

Which leads to ask, is it overclocked?  If so, what you are getting is probably correct.  If it isn't overclocked, you may need to clean/replace the thermal paste between CPU and heat sink (which can be tricky).

B.

WW1294.png

Its not overclocked.

Like I said in the OP, if I overclock to 4.2ghz and run prime 95, it hits the throttling temp within a few minutes thus making an overclock pointless as it automatically reduces clock speed

If you want to overclock, you will likely need a better cooler.. just read some of the overclocking stories on this forum.

Bert

I know that but I think even non oc temps on stock cooler are a bit high. Something doesnt seem right?

I agree temps seem too high under an FSX load.

Is the cooler properly seated on the motherboard? Does it look even? What sort of thermal paste did you use?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ive ordered an article cooler freezer 13 so will install this over the weekend and see how it goes! Should sort the temps out