Sign in to follow this  
teopereira

NGX and real NG "feel"?

Guest Mik75

Definanly worth a watch, even if it is in German. I posted it about 3 months ago and everyone ignored it. :)

It seems the FFS isn't a real as they would like.

That's in Dutch, not in German! ;-)

Still an interesting and nice video!

I am seriously into flight simming since the release of FS98 and on my two Level D FFS sessions at Lufthansa flight training center (B737 classic, A320) I had a really great time mainly doing landings in these simulators. And (even to my own surprise), it worked really well! I even performed the circle to land into LOWI's RWY08 in the A320 with a good result. The desktop flight sims may lack the feel, but they can build and improve some basic skills in my opinion and experience!

Auch, that's not german... That's Dutch!

Nice video anyway ;-)

According to my Dutch friend, it's not Dutch either, it's Flemish. Great vid, a must watch for any 737 enthusiast.

Thanks for posting

Flemish isn't an official language, it's just a dialect ;-)

But okay, let's get back on topic.

Flemish isn't an official language, it's just a dialect ;-)

But okay, let's get back on topic.

Not sure the Flemish would agree with that, aren't all languages a dialect :-)

Agree, let's get back on topic :-)

IMO, the FSX physics just hinder the almighty NGX. She has to go X-Plane  :ph34r:

It's saying the word "X-Plane" on this forum and immediately you'll be getting dislikes and disagrees.

Come on people, relax a bit will ya?

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

I also think that anyone who flys the 737NGX for a long period of time and who knows the systems pretty well, could fly and land the real 737NGX in an emergency if they had to. They would know enough about how to do it and I think could transfer their hand flying experience with FSX to the real 737NGX and land it. The control feel and loads would be much different but you could adapt quickly and end up flying it pretty well I think and save the day. Really.

I think we (the 737NGX simmers) could land the actual plane by ourselves because we do know what to do and when to do it. So I think we could if we had to.

That's exactly what I was saying on another thread. I've had the chance to fly both a Level-D 744 and a A320 simulator and did it pretty well without any help from the instructor. 

The feel is completely different to our PC-based simulators, however, you adapt to the feel, input forces, aircraft responses etc.. almost instantly. Just like when you drive a car you've never driven before, you instantly adapt to the force on the wheel, the response etc.

A real jetliner has 4 degrees of freedom, or only 3 if we assume the aircraft will always fly coordinated (yaw damper), so that's the 3 axis you have to manage simultaneously (4 during crosswind landings).The important thing is having your brain trained in maintaining heading, altitude and speed all at the same time (anticipating where needed and taking the aircraft's massive inertia into account). Also knowing your instruments and where you must look for your information. Both of those tasks can be trained on our PC simulator.

That's for hand-flying. For auto-flying, you need to know the autopilot logic and how to program it, which would be very easy for a serious NGX simmer.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

>I'm surprized he kept on crashing in the sim.

Why would that surprise you? The guy is not a pilot. He's a news reporter.

Of the 12 non-pilots, with me talking them through everything they must do and when to do it, the TO, climb and getting around the pattern back onto final for an ILS approach hand flying using the FD, none of them could land the plane. In fact, none of them could even got close to be lined up on center line to be anywhere near the runway at 200 DH. I always had to take over and go around to prevent us from crashing. And most of time I went around at 500 feet since most times there was no runway in front of us anyway.

I've done similar things, acting as co-pilot for sim open days, corporate entertainment events and so on. I found some people could manage an approach and landing, some could not. Some didn't even need much help from me to manage it. None of the ones who did it were pilots to my knowledge. It's really not that hard once you get the basic idea. In good weather conditions at least.

The worst simulator performance I ever saw was from a high ranking air force officer (I won't mention which air force, but it wasn't RAF or USAF) who was supposedly a fast jet pilot. He didn't have a clue about flying a multi-engined airliner and metaphorically "crashed and burned".

Regarding the feel of a full flight sim, that depends almost entirely on the visual system, control loading and motion system response. In other words the external cues it provides.

As for PMDG sims, they do as good as is possible for a desktop sim. Going to XPlane wouldn't improve things much. It would still be a desktop sim. But I remember the first time I ran the FS9 Queen of the Skies. The sounds were so evocative of the 747-400 full flight sim I was familiar with, it was very impressive. It's still the high quality sounds that give me a feeling of realism.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Ive landed a 737 in a full motion fully certified B737 sim, and not just "landed" but fully stabilised in complience with all the SOPs, precisely in the TD zone with a good rate. Spent 2 good hours there, doing all kinds of approaches, visual, NDB, and not a single problem managing the AP modes, LVL CHG etc.

I have around 700 hours in the NGX and another 1k in other 737 products, have studied FCOM&SOP's, QRH and a lot more, been reading lots about the 737, watching vids and more, but NO real world experience whats so ever, only FSX&FS9

So it depends on the person, and his knowledge on the 737. This is no "YES/NO" question, some simmers will land it, some wont. But yea, its compleately possible.