Sign in to follow this  
Michael Moe

The Feeling ,VC height 777 vs 737

Hi,

just wonder if there is a limitation in FSX ?.Most of the time it feels like the distance to the ground is more or less the same looking out the window (zoom 0.60 in the 777 and the 737)

On the other hand. I have not sit in a real VC of a 777.

Michael 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

737NG : 2,6 meters

777: between 4,7 and 5 meters (depends on loading etc.)

So its a big difference...

Does not feel that way in FSX :unsure: 

Michael 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

That's a shame to hear. I'm hoping to get the PMDG 777 soon and was hoping that it would really feel like you were "sat" in a totally different machine to the NGX, in terms of heightened view, etc.

You don't feel like that? Seriously? If you taxi the 737 at an airport, and a bit later the 777, you directly have the feeling it's much higher, it's also much bigger, and you really have to take care taking tight turns. The 737 just feels small compared to the 777.

Yep the VC is bigger and turns is as you describe but the height is something that maybe in reality also seems well not that high.

Great VC though and love this AC (VC shadows is also looking great :rolleyes: )

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

You're looking at it though a screen. You're not 'gonna really feel the clearance of the ceiling since peripheral vision is limited to that screen.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Also the cockpits in FSX seem to feel much larger than the real world also, the 777 cockpit is actually quite small!

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

AME GE90, GP7200 CFM56 

I beg to differ. I think there's plenty of office space upfront. Granted, there are other heavies out there that might have a larger flightdeck, but I think the T7 fits 4 crewmembers very comfortably.

The NG cockpit is very small. Flew on the jumpseat a few years ago, it's not very comfortably at all. 

The T7 cockpit is one of the biggest in aviation I think (heard that from a friend who is flying that beast). 

I can concour with the statement of the 777 being large and the small size of the 737. I've also been in the cockpit of a 747 and Lear 60. They too have very small cockpits. I found it was hard to get into the seats. The 777 has a very open cockpit. I found that FSX doesn't make you feel like the size is correct due to limitations with the program. If you want actual size then get a proper sim or the real thing. Everything will be different than it actually is due to everyone having their own perspective of what a real one looks like

Alex Brinson

You should be able to notice the difference based on the visual appearance of taxiway and runway markings.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

And expecially during taxy you will notice that the 777 feels much slower at the same speed than the 737 due to it's hight above the ground.

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

Yeah its not that small like i said, i just meant i  thought it would be bigger than it was thats all ^_^

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

AME GE90, GP7200 CFM56 

having sat in the front seats of a real 777 many many times left and right i can confirm that you do really get a feeling of height off the ground particulally when you lean forward and peer over the glare shield . and ive often wondered why the sim never really feels the same in tha respect even with a 747 which i have also sat in front seats of many times in r/w.

my conclusion is simply to do with the fact that you are confined by a small square screen (monitor) in the sim and unfortunately that compromises the real feeling of depth you get from the real world which also includes peripheral vision. Its just not achievable in a sim in a pc . weather or not you get any such feeling in a level d sim i dont know if you peer over the glare shield. maybe someone with experience can comment on this.

what i will say about the pmdg 777 vs the ng vc experience is this. the 777 blows the ng away in terms of dimensional accuracy. the ngx went badly wrong somewhere when it was measured or during the modelling process. whereas the 777 is really spot on. the way the glare shield really intrudes and leaves such a small gap to look out of is exactly how it is in the real plane and is something nearly every addon ac ive ever seen before the 777 gets wrong. in real life you can span the gap between the top of the glare and the bottom of the compass unit above with your hand,( little finger and thumb). its this level of accuracy in the pmdg777 vc that gives it a realistic feel first and foremost i believe.unfortunately the 737 feels like you are looking through a bay window where as in real life the front windows gap is like a tiny thin slit in comparison. ruins it for me.

kav