Sign in to follow this  
Michael Moe

The Feeling ,VC height 777 vs 737

having sat in the front seats of a real 777 many many times left and right i can confirm that you do really get a feeling of height off the ground particulally when you lean forward and peer over the glare shield . and ive often wondered why the sim never really feels the same in tha respect even with a 747 which i have also sat in front seats of many times in r/w.

Guess it was this confirmation i was wondering about hence the topic.

Thanks

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Yeah good point, the distance front the glareshield and the top of the window is really narrow on them all, but seems much wider in the sim!

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

AME GE90, GP7200 CFM56 

Most of your perception of this sort of thing comes from parallax and perceptions of depth.  The latter you get absolutely none of.  There's no actual depth perception since the ground and the glareshield are both 2-3' feet in front of you on a flat screen.  It's never going to seem significant because the depth is simulated.

In this picture, it almost looks like DC (you can see the Washington Monument at the far right of the frame) is right next to Tysons Corner (middle).  Having been there to take the picture, I can say that you could really sense the distance between them by the depth you pick up from a number of the factors that go into depth perception:

DSC_5344.jpg

Even if you're looking at this and seeing the apparent distance, it's still different than how you'd perceive it by being there versus viewing a photo.  The feeling of actuality cannot be replaced (which is why the FAA requires actual flight time in training, and only allows part of it to be sim time).

Kyle Rodgers

If you can't tell the difference, then your brain has issues with processing perspective. They are most certainly very different.

Best regards,

Robin.

If you can't tell the difference, then your brain has issues with processing perspective. They are most certainly very different.

Best regards,

Robin.

? hmm i take this as a joke ? 

I am response to reality . What are yours ?

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

If you use the 747 you will see how much narrower the runway looks compared to the view of the same runway from the 737. The perception of ground speed is different too because the runway is further away from you. The 777 is somewhere in between. If you switch from the 777 to the C172 the difference in eye height is obvious.

ki9cAAb.jpg

? hmm i take this as a joke ? 

I am response to reality . What are yours ?

Michael

No, I'm quite serious.

You're looking at a 2D plane, and your brain is required to translate it into a 3D representation in your mind. If you're unable to see the difference in perspective between the 737 and 777 eyepoints, then if you are really trying to tell the difference, but can not see it, then your brain is failing to process perspective.

I'm not being rude, BTW. :)

Best regards,

Robin.

No, I'm quite serious.

You're looking at a 2D plane, and your brain is required to translate it into a 3D representation in your mind. If you're unable to see the difference in perspective between the 737 and 777 eyepoints, then if you are really trying to tell the difference, but can not see it, then your brain is failing to process perspective.

I'm not being rude, BTW. :)

Best regards,

Robin.

guess its only me .

Now after a cockpit ride in real life with the Maddog, PC is  like flying with fish eye btw . The runway is just eating you up in real life.....

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

I think hardware like oculus rift will make a big difference.  Looking at a flat monitor will never look correct or give you that true feeling of depth.  

I purchased a 47" 3D TV from a friend of mine moving to Holland. I initially thought it was a complete waste of money until I tried the 2D to 3D conversion and ran the default flight in the trike.  It makes a massive difference to depth perception, just like using a fresnel lense. 

Unfortunately it is not practical, you have to be far back from the screen for everything to look crisp. 

Rob Prest

Now after a cockpit ride in real life with the Maddog, PC is  like flying with fish eye btw

Nice! Yes, the VC view in the sim is a little distorted, especially at wider angles of view (zoomed out).

If you want to try and really see the difference, get a screenshot of both, line up the glareshield, and flick between them. You should be able to see the difference then. :)

Best regards,

Robin.

The 777 VC is a masterpiece. I sure hope PMDG makes the next 737NGX SP with remade VC to get this feeling of being inside the cockpit.

Alexis Mefano

I have only just purchased the 777 last night, and I got to see it in FSX for the first time this morning. The VC is indeed very good, with exceptionally crisp and clear graphics. However, I also think that the VC in the 737NGX is superb.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yep the VC is bigger and turns is as you describe but the height is something that maybe in reality also seems well not that high.

Great VC though and love this AC (VC shadows is also looking great :rolleyes: )

Michael

Are you getting the VC Shadows via dx10 and Steve's Fixer? If so can you tell or post a shot if your general shader settings? Thanks

Eric 

To the OP: Try setting your zoom level at something between 0.8 and 1. I use 0.82 and it's okay, 0.6 is too far back.

I do feel the 777 much higher than the 737. And the first times you land the aircraft, you can't really believe it when you touch down due to how far back and low the landing gear is with respect to the cockpit (did I touch down already? wow!). The 777 feels "big". 

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

I use a zoom of 0.5 in the 777 and 737NGX. I really can't understand why the default VC zoom would be the recommended option. It's so close to the panel that you could rest your chin on it. I want to see the window pillars, and some of the displays when I am looking at the screen. In fact, as soon as I purchase a new plane, the first thing that I do is move the viewpoint further back (no less than 25 clicks in the 777), and reset the zoom to either 0.5 (for the large airliners) or 0.6 (in the Citation Mustang).

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png