Sign in to follow this  
Bill Womack

does Track IR3 work in 2d mode?

Guest gooper

Hi all, I am very interested in buying Track IR3 but i do want to know if it ONLY works with aircraft that have virtual cockpits only..will it work with 2d panels as i have found that the virtual panels on cpomplicated aircraftlike PMDG 737, etc are very hardc to fly using virtual cockpits only,,they work great in GAaircraft like real air spitfire. thanks, JR

Guest UlfB

Track IR3 only works in VC - not in 2D cockpit.Ulf B

HiGot a track IR3. It is brilliant with a good VC, but a bit useless on aircraft with no VC as it is just too confussing to know where the front of the aircraft is!With a VC though, it is great to just glance left on the base leg and see the airport there, turning perfectly onto the runway for final. I still use it on aircraft with no VC as it is nice to look around at busy airports while your queing up for take-off, or look around at the scenery while on autopilot.Also, if you like Combat flight sims too, then get it, no question.Graeme

>Hi all, I am very interested in buying Track IR3 but i do>want to know if it ONLY works with aircraft that have virtual>cockpits only..will it work with 2d panels as i have found>that the virtual panels on cpomplicated aircraftlike PMDG 737,>etc are very hardc to fly using virtual cockpits only,,they>work great in GAaircraft like real air spitfire. thanks, JR>If it works with 2D panels, I haven't figured out how to make it do that. Pretty sure it's only good for VCs.But I agree with you, it's very hard to use VC, even with Track IR on aircraft such as PMDG 737. Mainly because frame rates are lower, it's harder to keep track of all the different systems and it's harder to find the click spots. What I do is use the VC with Track IR in all phases of flight except approach and landing, when I switch back to the 2D cockpit. That seems to work well. One thing I've been doing lately is not ever switching to external view. Just using VC (except on approach when use 2D). This really give the feeling of being there and makes you realize just how hard it is to figure out where you are without relying on instruments. Almost makes me feel claustrophobic.And it small GA aircraft, it's no problem to use VC all the time.Have to say that Track IR has really changed FS for me and I'd highly recommend it.Matt

Does TrackIR make you feel captured? I find 2D to be much more limiting. Especially on approach because you can

Hi Matt,It seems from a little experimentation that not only does TrackIR3 not work in the 2D cockpit, but it only works in the VC if your language.dll file is set up to display the words "Virtual Cockpit" in the upper right corner of the screen when you switch to that view. A few of us had used hacked versions of the language file that got rid of all red text on screen, and TrackIR never kicked in when switching to VC. So I've had to revert back to the original language file to get it working. I'm pretty sure that every other on-screen text display can be eliminated, though.

I have an other question about trackIR:Is it possible to use the mouse for clicking in VC while using trackIR?Anyone tried multi monitor setups with trackIR??? I want to use the following setup for flying: One (big) monitor to display the VC with IR tracking, and one monitor for the main instruments like FMC to be operated by mouse. Would that be possible???

>>Is it possible to use the mouse for clicking in VC while using>trackIR?You bet. I love my TrackIR with Vector. I spend most of my time in the VC with Track IR, though when there is lots of switch flipping to be done, I will do it in the 2D cockpit as it is a little easier. The switches don't move if you move your head in 2D. :)Tony