Sign in to follow this  
TurboTomato

Nvidia GTX 580 to 770 - will I notice a difference?

Well slightly bizarrely a broken coffee machine has given me a bit of extra budget so it looks like I'll get a 780 after all :)

According to the experts. You would be better off with two 580's in SLI for p3D..

According to the experts. You would be better off with two 580's in SLI for p3D..

How so? I thought SLI wasn't even available yet on P3D? I only have a single monitor setup anyway.

I think I will return the $300+ GTX 770 and replace it with an i7 4770K at about the same price. I believe my lowly i5 4440 @3,3 Ghz is the performance bottleneck. Anyway this is just my personal experience for your reference.

The problem with that is the GTX650Ti will then become the bottleneck and you will be back to square one.

A 4770 needs a GTX770 or better.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I definitely agree with gboz

It’s a balance act, isn’t it? If you fly a lot over metro area doing touch and go, especially over KSEA and KBFI with Orbx PNW installed, CPU can become the choking point of frame rate. At that point the graphic card becomes irrelevant. In other situation such as IFR condition in heavy cloud with shadows and HDR on then graphic card will choke and FPS suffers. You just have to know your type of sim flying and choose the right hardware to maximize the bang for your buck. Since I am happy with P3d 2.2 for most of the time, I will hold off the CPU upgrade for now. It is very frustrating to find out my system built just 4 months ago will become obsolete by 3Q this year because the new Haswell refresh K chip is not supported on my Z87 board. IMHO, it is better to start saving money for the next system in a couple of years to enjoy a huge performance jump than throwing money to the old one getting only small incremental improvement.

Hello! Sorry to here, but I will not be a new thread assumed. I currently have a Asus GTX 660ti 2Gb OC. It makes sense to change the new card ?
Thank you.

I did three things yesterday:

Replaced GTX 650Ti with a GTX 770 card (at least double the graphic power")

Installed the "wonder driver" 355.70

Installed v 2.2

I see no improvement in some challenging places such as KSEA and KBFI over Orbx PNW. It still turned into a slide show occasionally. In less challenging areas, P3d is extremely smooth before and after the upgrade so I couldn't tell the improvement. Of course your mileage may vary with a new video card, I think I will return the $300+ GTX 770 and replace it with an i7 4770K at about the same price. I believe my lowly i5 4440 @3,3 Ghz is the performance bottleneck.  Anyway this is just my personal experience for your reference.

Replaced GTX 650Ti with a GTX 770 card (at least double the graphic power")

Installed the "wonder driver" 355.70

Installed v 2.2

Hmm maybe this is why i have relativ poor performance with my GTX780ACX SC@1110MHZ. Whent back to FSX/DX10 in KSEA/CYVR in the Lancair with more than double the performance (50-70fps)

Yesterday i was down to 10-12 fps around CYVR in P3DV2 for no reason i can remember. Settings the same as the other day with 35-50fps so will try the "wonder driver"

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

MSI GTX 780 ordered  :wub:

Now order a second one and change to SLI for a truly amazing experience.

Mac

Now order a second one and change to SLI for a truly amazing experience.

Mac

I had enough trouble getting the first one past the "financial controller"  :lol:

I had enough trouble getting the first one past the "financial controller"  :lol:

Shhhh ... I am spending the kids inheritance :lol: