Sign in to follow this  
virginblue737

High FPS but getting Stutters

Evening All, 

So i have had this problem for a while now, but have never really addressed it. 

It seems ( Most noticible ) when Taxing in or out at slower speeds ( E.G 0-30 Knots ) Its noticble that i am getting some stuttering. Im acheiving really smooth FPS, like anywhere from 25 - 30 Fps, but getting stutters. I was reading somewhere that texturebandwithmult may do something with stutters, i have had it from 40 to 80 to 120 and to 400, but following kostas guide i have it atm set at 40. 

I have my Affinity mask set to 15 instead of 14, i have Texturemaxload set to 21, im ususing steves dx10 fixer, i have frames set to 30 in Nvidea inspector and unlimited in the sim, i have Pre rendered fps set to 3 ( What is this setting ? could it cause the stuters ) ? 

Again the stuttering is only really noticible when taxing at say slower speeds.

System specs are : I5 4670k OC 4.4GHz, 8 gb ram and GTX770

Any suggestions

Jack

Another Tweak, i have Vsync set to 1/2 In nvidea inspector, but i dont use the force fullscreenvsync eg, i would prefer a little bit of image tearing then the stutters 

I am really interested in seeing the answers from your post . I also get stutters, but it doesn't matter what I'm doing or where. I also get good frame rates.

Try locking your frames to a lower number that your system can maintain with your settings ie: 30 or even 20.  What have you set road traffic at? Airport ground vehicles? AI Traffic? What AA settings are you using.  I have 780 card and can still get stutters when I turn the AA settings too high.  You say the problem is worse when taxiing.  Are you using addon airports.  There is a lot happening at airports, especially if you have lots of AI.  Generally the only way to get rid of stutters is to turn down some of the settings until your system can easily maintain the locked framerate you are trying to maintain. 

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

Two things that helped cure my stutters:

1.  You need to set affinity mask to 14 to ensure that one core is free for processes.

2. Try the usepools=0 tweak, that helps too.

FSX usually works best on a separate hard drive, failing which separate partition, failing which, outside of the program folder (e.g. root drive).

Do you still get stutters if you move some of the sliders to the left< AI traffic and road traffic can have an adverse effect, so try turning them down - no more than 20% for road traffic and 50% for AI.

I assume that you have tried turning off your anti virus, anti malware, etc. as they can be a cause of stutters as can any other process that may be running in the background.  How many processes do you have running and which version of Windoze?

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Hi All, 

Thank you for all your posts. 

I have road settings set to only 5% i had it at 20 inintially but kept bringing it down to see if i got results, other then the freeway traffic all of my other traffic settings are set to 0, as i fly on Vatsim i just rely on other people flying for my traffic. 

Ian, i already use the bufferpools=0 tweak. Process i normally try and disable as much as i can, but i make sure that i have no uneccesiarly process runing whilst i am flying, for example i do the flight planning before i get into the sim, so when i start FSX the only things running are FSINN, Active sky next, FS Real time, and of course FSX itself and then depending if im flying for a Virtual airline the odd VA tracker may be open. 

I use the NGX, and it dosent really matter if im at a FPS expensive airport like ORBX brisbane, or a defualt scenery, im still getting the stuutters. 

I just have one question and it really does puzzle me, if im getting a smooth 25 - 30 fps whilst i am taxing, why are the stutters occuring, i mean you press SHIFT Z twice to see your FPS and its going from 28 to 34 ect but at the same time you are stuttering. It puzzles me

Thinks like this just make the switch to P3D seem even better to do, I guess when the time comes and if it comes, where PMDG take there Planes over to P3D and of course other major producers, i think alot of people will make the switch. What do you guys think ?

I know this goes against most of what is out there, but instead of externally limiting your FPS, lock it to 25 inside FSX and get rid of the Nvidia inspector limitation.  It's becoming more and more noticeable that the internal FSX limiter is better than an external on some systems.  Also have you done what Ian suggested regarding your affinity mask setting?  Set it to 14.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

HI Dylan, 

I will set it back to 14, what about texture bandwith mult ? Can you give me  a recomended setting for that i have had it from 40up to 400 and have no idea what it does 

One other thing I've noticed is the graphics card driver.  I've installed some where the fps shoots up and down like a yoyo and others where the fps are a bit more stable, so it could be worth trying a different driver.

As far as smoothness goes, I've also found that limiting fps within fsx to 30 helps, but not if you are only getting 25 fps of course.  Some swear by using an external framerate limiter, but I've found the fsx limiter to be fine (when compared).

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Definitely agree with Ian regarding GPU drivers.  Also make sure you select clean install when testing new ones.

Rob Prest

Lock frames internally to 30 for TBM and TML to work.

[GRAPHICS]
HIGHMEMFIX=1 //Added
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048 //1024,2048,4096

[Display]
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120 //40,80
TextureMaxLoad=6 //6, 9

Dave

I'm running a I5 2500k @ 4.6, 8gb ram with a 2gb gtx770 just down loaded the latest nvidia drivers and am now able to set monitor refresh at 50hz so with 1/2 vsync in Inspector and frames limited to 25 in fsx I get the same smoothness as with 30fps and monitor at 60hz but which I could not always maintain 30fps,

this is great as my system has the headroom to run at 25fps all day long

I run with all the usual addons ie, NGX, orbx england, rex, uk2000 airports etx and AA 2x sgss with most sliders to the right

cheers

Adam

Is it just around airports ? If so check to see if you have AEMODULE.DLL in your dll config.

If you have take it out and see what happens.

I have TBM set to 60 and have done for some time.  I've experimented with higher and lower and this seems to suit my current system best - your mileage may vary.

I can't remember for sure but I think default is 30 or 40.

IAN